Subdividing in Adelaide

Hi Everyone!

I found a property on a corner allotment which is around 670sqm in size in Pooraka. The current house is situated at the front such that it may be possible to keep the it there and subdivide the land behind it (mostly backyard + rumpus + shed) and create a 300-320sqm block with a square shape. The house has 3 bedrooms. I contacted the council duty planner and made some general inquiries as to whether something like this would be possible. He was saying stuff about private living space and open living space and that it needs to be approved since the minimum site area required is 450sqm. However, he said i would have to do my homework to figure out whether this property can be subdivided or not. I just dont know where to start.

You see, i dont exactly want to purchase this property if i know for sure i can subdivide it. I want to call a surveyor and ask about the feasibility but then again, I figure they'll just knock me back since i dont exactly own the property. I don't have a portfolio and have no experience in property whatsoever. What do i need to do to find out FOR SURE that this property can be subdividable without actually owning it yet?

Much thanks,

Emjay.

The Salisbury council development plan will give you the information on what is a complying development, minimum sizes for a hamerhead (battle axe) subdivision etc etc.

Here is the link. Go to page 96 and start reading.

Should your potential development be non complying, you could always community title the 2 allotments but as no community title development is complying you wont know if what you are trying to do is possible without submitting an application for development approval. This obviously would be a high risk.

From my experience. 670sqm does sound too small for a complying hammerhead development.

Back