Sydney - where to look?

We're currently spending $lots on overnight hotels in Adelaide, just to get near people, events etc. So why not go the whole hog and move to Sydney?

Catch is I don't know Sydney at all and have seriously no idea where to even start looking.

In an ideal world it would be great to have a room in a sharehouse or something initially so one of us could come up and suss out the territory, but same problem there. Don't know what suburbs to look in.

I'm leaning on our boss to move us to fulltime but even if he does that we still have to sell up here and move so we're continuing with the hotel thing in Adelaide probably for the rest of the year. Expensive lifestyle.

Oh if it helps, we'll probably have a deposit of $200-300k and income of maybe $200-250k, assuming fulltime work. Unfortunately a fair slab of that is my passive income and doesn't count.

I honestly don't know what the choice is. As long as it has 4 bedrooms and is sane to get to work it is fine.

For shorter visits, don't care. Sharehouse is good.

Work is in the CBD. Would be nice to get a bus or something, I really don't know.

Please remember I know *nothing* about Sydney. I've never lived there, and I've been there 4 days in my entire life.

But you can't search the entire city, filter by price and then come up with a suburb list, I need a list of suburbs to get me going. Preferably ones where 4br houses are < $900k.

Work is in the CBD. Would be nice to get a bus or something, I really don't know.

Please remember I know *nothing* about Sydney. I've never lived there, and I've been there 4 days in my entire life.

But you can't search the entire city, filter by price and then come up with a suburb list, I need a list of suburbs to get me going. Preferably ones where 4br houses are < $900k.

Doesn't matter whether you've lived in Sydney before. But 'taking a bus or something' isn't exactly a lot of information.

Fine, your budget is up to 900k for a 4 bed house. Need to get to the CBD on public transport. That gives you a lot of options. Too many without more information.

Trains are generally better than buses, but close to trains ais more expensive. Is 30 minutes from the stop to the CBD ok? 45 minutes? 60 minutes? How long is too long? A better question might be, what commute are you used to?

How new a house? <5 years? <10 years? You don't mind an older house? Do you need/want things like cafes and shops within walking distance, or are you willing to drive? Do you want shops from a particular ethnic group close by? Or you prefer, or do not prefer, a particular ethnic group?

I've been working from home for years, I'm used to a zero commute. Before that I had a 45 minute commute by car, and before that a 10 minute walk to work.

My partner is interested in the nightlife, I'm interested in schools. Nightlife seems to be mostly in Newtown. All the looking I've done so far has been in suburbs around Newtown for that reason. Nightlife is actually *critical* to this move, there's no point moving from a house 2 hours from the nightlife to a 3x more expensive house 1 hour from the nightlife. That's a horrible taxi fare home.

If any demographic, it would have to be LGBT. This move is largely for the benefit of my partner, who is the one racking up the hotel bills going to various LGBT events in the city.

That's pretty vague.

Edit: Oh. Age of house. I don't know if old houses suffer the same salt damp problems in NSW as they do here. Old houses here are terrible money sinks.

I really need to make some short trips to Sydney and stay in backpacker accom or something to get an idea. We've just been requisitioned to Sydney next month (after I started this thread, would you believe), so there's an opportunity right there.

I was going to suggest Oatley. I little hide away suburb with a train line direct to the city.

We have visited this suburb a number of times over the last month a it really has a nice peaceful feel.

http://www.yourinvestmentpropertyma...sw-2223-oatley/demographics.aspx#demographics

But it would think it is far removed from LGBT - the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.

And based on that criteria Newtown and surround would be the center of that universe.

Cheers

You're telling me Facebook is actually good for something?

I've been basing this *entirely* on event invites 'friends' in Sydney have been going to :)

You may want to consider Tempe or Erskineville. Both are on a train line and quite close to Newtown. Considerably cheaper than Newtown as well.

If any demographic, it would have to be LGBT. This move is largely for the benefit of my partner, who is the one racking up the hotel bills going to various LGBT events in the city.

That's pretty vague.

Actually, that's very specific. You've pretty much narrowed down the search to the couple of stations around Newtown.

Erskineville is not cheaper than Newtown, unfortunately. We live there at the moment. A 4br house for below 900 k will be more than diffucult. There was I think one in that price range in the last year. No parking of course. Not many four bedroom places in Erko at all.
Tempe is not really close to nightlife.
How about St. Peter's? Borders with Newtown/erskineville but a bit cheaper.

There are a couple of really exciting renovator delights in St Peters - it will be interested to see what they will go for.

One of them is a 4 bedder I think.

Regards

Shahin

Perhaps consider Marrickville - plenty of 4 bed places there, many to be had within your budget. There seems to be a growing LGBT community settling. There are buses direct through Enmore/Newtown and it's a 15 min train to the city.

Ah. Now this is exactly what I need :)

Really need to talk to the damn boss though. Turns out the week he wants us (both of us) is the school holidays. And we can't move without fulltime work.

If he doesn't move on that job offer soon, I'm going to seriously start looking for work with companies that are in direct competition to him. I can deal with moving into share accom ahead of the rest of the family. Or sending my partner ahead, same effect.

What exactly are you doing RE? Sounds interesting? I see you had a thread deleated for soliciting business? Perhaps word it so it gets through SIM?

See ya's.

I have an indiegogo campaign (ie, fundraiser) out for my side project, totally unrelated to work. That's the one that got deleted.

We work for a small company developing websites in Drupal, really like the team but don't like the administration nonsense. And telecommute is all very well and good until our physical presence is required.

You might have to factor in aircraft noise in some of these inner west suburbs.
Sometimes going two blocks away can make the difference between quiet & really loud...

Back