Tasmania

Hi all,

We are about to set off on a short break (5 days) to tassie, any suggestions as what to see and do whilst we are there?

Cheers.

Tassie!!!!!!!!!!

We are flying into Hobart and probably heading up to Launceston and trying to go to some wineries along the way.

cheers.

We did the same thing a couple of years ago. Flew into Hobart on the Friday. We said near the docks, so went to Salamanca markets on the Saturday AM. Drove up Mt. Wellington in the arvo (there was snow on the top of it!)

Went to the Cadbury factory to entertain the kids (though they don't do tours anymore I was reading today).

Went down to Port Arthur for a day trip. Is a nice drive from Hobart, and is a very beautiful spot. And obviously quite somber as well.

We then drove up to Launceston. Went to the gorge. Didn't really do a whole lot, stayed a day and then left.

Drove back along the east coast, and stayed a night at http://www.freycinetlodge.com.au/ <---- was aweseome

Then back home.

I am dying to go again, but this time for a LOT longer. Even a few weeks wouldn't be enough to see everything you'd want to see.

One tip...rug up, it gets bloody cold.

Tassie

Thanks Dave for your feed back.I was checking out freycient Lodge about an hour ago, it does looks great!

Cheers

Tassie

As an ex tassie girl - Cradle Mountain is worth a trip if time allows it. Richmond is also a lovely little town to wander through has a really old bridge, and lots of history

Yep, Port Arthur is worth seeing. And you have to go up Mt Wellington - amazing view. Always cold and windy, though.
Make sure you go up the coast, rather than inland. I like that coast drive.
Freycinet is a good area. I didn't stay in that lodge, but I bet it's great. There is somebody who does kayak tours around there, too. That would be good for a few hours.
When you head north, don't be tempted to cut across too soon too Launceston - go up to St Helens.
Scott

When we went there last year we started at Hobart and went up the east coast to Devonport and Launceston and then down the middle back to hobart.
We also went to the Gorge, loved it. Also you must see
http://tourtasmania.com/content.php?id=kingsolomon
I really think that was the highlight of the trip!
I really liked the drive back down the middle, all the old buildings built by the convicts.
Just love Tasmania and will go back again one day....

My tip would be not to try to do too much.

There is SO much to see it's amazing and if you try to do it all you won't do it justice.

Drive carefully too - I'm from the west and used to flat straight roads - I don't think we found one in the whole of Tasmania.

We loved it and can't wait to return.

Have a lovely time.

We spent the night at Cradle Mountain ten years ago which was very memorable. Grab some cheese and wine on the way, light up the fire place, relax in the spa while gazing onto the rainforest with Pademelons hopping past.
If your into wildlife, do a night drive so you can see the Tasmanian devils, quolls, etc in the wild having a night feed.
There's a new place (don't know where) that has seahorses being bred in captivity that I've heard is pretty spectacular. Port Authur is a must.
We discovered following road signs and turning off the main track had some interesting sights and wineries also. I think Tas has best wines in Australia so I'd stock up.
Franklin River is mindblowing also.

Early morning walks.
Afternoon naps with a book.
Soup and crusty bread in between.

I have never been to Tasmania. But that is what I'd like in the bracing weather.

Our family Tassie trip did us heaps of damage.

The trip itself was brilliant. We went almost all over (except the southwest) in a week. That was much too much. The state was much bigger than we realised.

But the bigger damage was that the kids would only eat Subway. Nothing else. So we investigated.. and the rest (like Port Arthur) is history.

Back