Tenant Request - Permission for a Goat!

When I received a phone call from my PM today, I grimaced. When she calls, I always seem to be paying out something afterwards. :rolleyes:

On this property, there is the main house and at the back there is self-contained unit. The SCU is enclosed with a gate. The property is located in Frankston South ie suburbia not rural. The girl who rents the SCU here has put a request for permission of a goat. :confused: :eek:

Initially, my thoughts at least the grass would get cut/eaten. And apparently this is what she is getting it for :eek:. I am not sure whether she is all there. More seriously, without deciding whether this is OK, I am getting the PM to check with the council to see whether or not people require a permit of some description to keep one. I will also check with my insurance about any implications with coverage. Those issues aside, I am still a little concerned, as it is to be tied up during the day, goats still have a tendency to eat through everything. I am envisaging a crazed goat terrorising the neighbours!

Any thoughts on this? Am I over-reacting?

Last edited:
I heard goats have to eat everything - otherwise they die on just grass. She might be better with sheep....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Last I checked goats were permitable in Northcote which is ever less rural. The don't allow a hundred goats though :eek:

How much land/grass is there for the goat?
What are the gardens like? Would it be critical if a goat got into the garden?

I wouldn't worry about the neighbours - that's not your problem if they get upset about living next to a goat.

Goats do eat everything, and can get distressed and lonely on their own and bleat really loud.

Apart from that, I've seen them jump a fence almost 6 foot high. This was a friend's daughter's goat. The daughter was a typical spoilt little Gen Z and her parents, without any knowledge of goats, went ahead and got it. They then had to put in higher fences around an enclosure because the 4 ft fence wouldn't contain it. It then got over the 2 metre fence and escaped down to the long grass beside the local creek, where it died. Presumably bitten by a big brown snake.

I think the best angle to take with this tenant, is to highlight that goats are social animals that need the company of a herd, and feel very vulnerable and stressed when left alone in restricted spaces. Then I'd put it to her that she might mow the lawn herself. It is good exercise and if she INVESTS in her own mower and whipper snipper, she might make a few bucks on the side setting up a small garden maintenance business. Plus she wouldn't need to pay gym membership :)

I heard goats have to eat everything - otherwise they die on just grass. She might be better with sheep....

Cheers,

The Y-man

As a Goat Man in training. I live rural and play farmer:rolleyes: Think "Green Acres".

Anyhow, my 3 year old daughter loves goats. So I did some research.

They are mountain animals and hence eat bushes and not grass as stated above. They are in fact, very picky and often wont eat anything dropped to them. They will eat tree bark, bracken, even blackberry but not really grass.

In summary great for clearing overgrown blocks to grass but not good for most trees or anything small.

FYI Peter 14.7

As a Goat Man in training. I live rural and play farmer:rolleyes: Think "Green Acres".

Anyhow, my 3 year old daughter loves goats. So I did some research.

They are mountain animals and hence eat bushes and not grass as stated above. They are in fact, very picky and often wont eat anything dropped to them. They will eat tree bark, bracken, even blackberry but not really grass.

In summary great for clearing overgrown blocks to grass but not good for most trees or anything small.

FYI Peter 14.7

LOL, So the tenant wants a goat, and it only eats bushes!

Regards Jo

We once had an application for 2 ridgirian ridgebacks (spelling???) (dogs!) and a goat!

The landlord chose another application that had no pets!

we also once had an application for 2 rabbits which the landlord approved. However at the first quarterly inspection there were about 20 cages of rabbits!

Back