Tenants damage to asbestos shed

We have a tenant who's son belted the soccer ball into the garage, smashing the sheeting, which was asbestos cement.
The tenant has repaired the damage, however they want us to pay for the disposal of the damaged sheeting, which is over $300 as it is asbestos.
The young PM seems to support this claiming "its law" ?

I checked with the dept of Fair Trade, who comfirmed my thoughts, that anything the tenant breaks, they have to pay for repairs, including all costs associated with the repair.

Has anyone else has had this problem with asbestos cement sheeting, and this mysterious "law" ?

Thankyou

I would have definately thought its the tenants problem. But I'm in Queensland. Anyone else other than Fair trading in NSW? A little bit different is to ask any tenant support group (with official state credentials) - they would certainly advise appropriately.
The other thing - may be worth notifing your insurance or making some form of legalised notation. If they repaired the damage & it was simply 'broken', no worries. But if they created air born particles via sanding or otherwise - asbestosis is a risk. Just a cover your a..... exercise.
Given the nasty risk of asbestosis - appropriate disposal is needed, and quickly rather than leave it around.

You don't have to use the commercial disposers you can actually dispose of it easily yourself.

Just get yourself sufficient orange plastic sheeting (used in concreting) to wrap the asbestos sheet (or bits) in a double layer. Then tape up securely and make a booking to dump at the tip face. Will cost a fraction of the cost of getting it 'professionally' done (who should do exactly the same thing).

Before handling the asbestos you should wet it thoroughly tp avoid any airborne asbestos.

When these houses were built they used to cut the sheets with fibro cutters that remove a strip of fibro about 1/4" wide which would simply be dropped on site and left lying all over the site. So as far as site contamination there is already plenty there and has been for the last 30-40 years.

What was even worse was when they cut the really heavy compressed sheets. They cut these with a dry angle grinder:eek: and again the dust was just left to gather onsite.

Cheers

If you end up paying for the removal, I have heard that the cost is claimable totally in the year it is spent. Maybe check this out anyway.

If you do it yourself, just phone the tip and check they take it and what they charge. Here in Brissy most tips stopped taking it last year and out of the 2 that I use, one starts at $150 for disposal and the other is a set price of $41.

Has anyone else has had this problem

Hi frini,

We had this exact problem last year with some of our best tenants. They were paying us a really good rent of $ 220 p.w. for our 5 bedroom 2 bathroom mansion on the waterfront.

It was easily fixed. We simply made a couple of phone calls and got a really good quote from 3 different professionals to remove the asbestos. It came to less than $ 3,000.00 so it was only 3 months of rent and it was all tax deductible, so even less. Too easy.

We even bought the lad a new soccer ball, just to keep the tenant happy. They really appreciated our concern, even though he did it again 2 months later. We were only too pleased to help again.....good to keep the local tradies in employ.

Due to all of the disruption, they asked for a reduction in their rent by $ 50 p.w. to be compensated for their inconvenience. We were only too happy to oblige. They had been loyal tenants over the past 15 years and were considered close friends.

Unfortunately they left after the thrid time the soccer ball went through the asbestos wall. They said our house wasn't safe. It only cost $ 8,500 to replace the wall. It really improved the look of the house and we were able to secure a new tenant at $ 230 p.w., so that really improved our cashflow.

You can never be too careful with your health, or your tenant's health. What price do you put on your health ??

Don't sweat the small stuff.....after all, keeping your tenant happy is what this game is all about.

:D You make me laugh Dazz. I need to be far more careful when reading your posts whilst consuming hot beverages. Not good for the oesophagus or the computer screen.

Any hardstand on that waterfront property to improve your cashflow Mr. TPFKAD.?

How about bolting some telco tower antennae to the the dwelling....that'll get ya some more rent.......you'll lose the human tenants however then there will be no more complaining....asbestos won't be an issue then.

Due to all of the disruption, they asked for a reduction in their rent by $ 50 p.w. to be compensated for their inconvenience. We were only too happy to oblige. They had been loyal tenants over the past 15 years and were considered close friends.

Unfortunately they left after the thrid time the soccer ball went through the asbestos wall. They said our house wasn't safe. It only cost $ 8,500 to replace the wall. It really improved the look of the house and we were able to secure a new tenant at $ 230 p.w., so that really improved our cashflow.

You can never be too careful with your health, or your tenant's health. What price do you put on your health ??

I always knew there was a softer side to that rough exterior:eek:;):D

Cheers

I still cant believe how often I am caught & get to the 2nd or 3rd paragraph before I look & realise TPFKAD strikes again! Love it!

Cheers
Stella

That was really funny Daz. I was thinking what idiots these people were when it dawned on me to check the logo - sure enough TPKAD

Last edited:
It was easily fixed. We simply made a couple of phone calls and got a really good quote from 3 different professionals to remove the asbestos. It came to less than $ 3,000.00 so it was only 3 months of rent and it was all tax deductible, so even less. Too easy.

I am more interest to know how could you do that to save a phone call.....:D

Back