Tenants report problem with HWS

Hi there. My tenants at one property are reporting an issue with Hot water System.

They say they are not getting very much hot water out of it before it turns cold..

I've seen it - it's not huge. It's an electric one, stands about waist height - 1200 or so?

I suspect it might be cactus - however it's only 7 years old. :(
Any ideas on replacement costs?

Cheers
a/c

I suspect that it might not be cactus after only 7 years (but it might be :confused:)

Have it checked out before you splash out and buy a newy. They might be anywhere around $800 give or take.

EVERY winter we get at least one tenant with the same story. They hop under the shower and use it for 20 - 30 minutes to warm up and then wonder why it runs out for the 3rd person who gets in. Der!:rolleyes:

If the thermostat or heating element is a bit dodgy, then the water won't reach the temp it used to. So, you need a greater volume of it when showering. I'd get it checked out before looking into replacement.

The fact that they are getting any hot water suggests that the system isn't cactus, but rather that either the tenants a using it all and it is running out or there are problems with the themostat as Rob suggested. My guess would be they are simply using it all, probably not used to having a small HWS. We used to have a small one that sat under the kitchen sink, you could get a 20min shower out of it and then you would have to wait for it to heat up some more water before using it again.

2 logical tests

1. Turn tap on, measure heat of water with thermometer.
2. Measure the rate of water flow from the shower head (not a water saver should be 9l per minute), read side of hot water service. Size of Tank / rate per minute = number of minutes of hot water.

A little service like that with 2 or 3 people could be streching it, i know my girlfriends flat has a little electric unit and if i am the third person through the shower i am 'enjoying' luke warmth at best, and i have quick showers especially when they are cold.

hang on a minute....

I've just had the $50 "plumber check" guy. Could it be that they are complaining that the water flow is not as fast now that it's water saving?? :)

Given it's winter and all. Will ask the PM to do some basic checks through the tenants and monitor the situation.

I know our 'water saving' shower means you have to run around under it to get warm.

It sounds like a classic case of the tank needing a top up, the water in the tank that surronds the coil needs to be topped up every now and then, just use the pressure releif valve to top up the tank.

Is it a Saxon brand hot water system ?

As ones like Rheem / Dux just use a big tank of water which an element heats up, and then when you turn the hot water tap on, you get this heated water.

Saxon and some other companies use a different type. Basically they use a tank (usually smaller than he equivalent capacity of the other type). and inside this tank of water is a coil of copper pipe. So the water in the coil of pipe, never actually comes into contact with the water in the tank

The element heats up the water in the tank, and then when you turn the tap on, it draws water though the copper pipe, and the heat gets transferred though and you have hot water.

But the water in the outside tank, is only filled up when the water in the coils expands and cracks open a small valve. And because the outside tank is vented to the atmosphere, over time the water level drops, which basically means the capacity of the unit drops. Sometimes this can reduce the capacity by 50% or more.

Luckily its easy to fix. Basically there should be a little lever on the side of the valve in question. Someone just needs to lift this lever, and they should hear water flowing though the pipes. and they just need to hold it up until water starts to flow over the overflow pipe. This could take a few mins.

Once this has been done, and the heater goes though a heating cycle, then the unit should be back to full capacity.

The valve looks like this

hpnr-r.jpg

If it dosent have one of these valves, then the above directions wont help anything

Ben

Hi there. My tenants at one property are reporting an issue with Hot water System.

Is this a mains pressure hot water system or tank attached?

Is it a twin element unit? As these can be incorrectly wired and only heat the top 25% approx of the tank.

Is the time clock for night rate power consumption operating at the correct time?

Meaning, if the hot water system is getting charged at lunch time, then you do a couple of loads of washing and whatever, in the morning it won't have heated from yesterday lunchtime but been topped up with cold water as the hot has been used.

at least they are giving you the chance to fix it. normally it's a matter of turn the tap on, cold water, oh well call a plumber out at midnight on a Sunday, problem solved.

Are they new tenants, not used to this type of HWS?

It sounds like your HWS is an 80 or 125 litre electric peak rate, single element HWS. One good looooong shower will empty all the heat from the tank, needing 1/2 to 1 hour to reheat, minimum dependant on element wattage. Easiest solution is to install a water saver shower head. Shower times will then at least double and tenant will not consume all the heat from the tank so quickly. End of problem. This solves the problem in most cases.

As repairer, i doubt anything is wrong with your HWS.

Back