Terry Ryder

Has anyone ever purchased any of his reports and used them as a guide? Im contemplating purchasing a copy of the top 10 NSW Hot Spots but at $90.00 was just wondering if it is really worth the money?

Many of Ryder's picks aren't cheap (eg Karratha). Some of his cheaper ones in bayside Melbourne, namely Frankston and Seaford are more than affordable and unlikely to go down in price, relative to regional rubbish

I have the Best Rents report from July 2009 sitting on my desk now. We have had a few of his reports over the last few years and they are OK, but some areas can move more quickly than he can publish. Overall he is a good collator of information of you do not have the time to do it yourself.

My wife has also been on his bus trip in Brisbane and another in Melbourne.

Does anyone know where Ryder is personally buying stuff himself? That would be interesting.

I know that another property guru, Margaret Lomas, has been actively buying in Frankston. This suburb is also on Ryder's hotspotting list.

I think all gurus should declare what they own, when they bought it, and what they paid for whatever they bought. Its only fair.

The thing about Frankston is you need to know what part they are buying in, I think both Terry and Margaret were keen on Nth Frankston. Not sure I am. Both are also talking up the LaTrobe Valley.

I had Margaret havea few shots at me in front of about 150 people 12 months ago for considering/ asking about Palerston outside of Darwin. Partly on that experience we did not buy there. A decision I now regret and that has "cost" us the equity to get into another IP. Still, live and learn.

I had Margaret havea few shots at me in front of about 150 people 12 months ago for considering/ asking about Palerston outside of Darwin. Partly on that experience we did not buy there. A decision I now regret and that has "cost" us the equity to get into another IP. Still, live and learn.

If it is any consolation, I also got talked out of buying in North Frankston a few years back by another property guru, a Melbourne-based one at that :rolleyes:

Frankstonly Speaking

I've searched the forums to find advice on the 'best' parts of Frankston, Nth, Seaford areas (Frankston South seems universally OK - or am I wrong). Best overall guide seems to be proximity to the Highway, Freeway and East Link but are there other more defining landmarks?

Can anyone draw some lines on maps to point out best to worst areas (overall) in this neck of the woods.

Yeah I was going to buy 2x properties in Frankston at around the $215 mark. But they were a 'secondary location'. I bought in Toorak for $600 instead. Two years later after accounting negative cashflow that property hasn't done anything so far.

Should do well in the next few years though. Those two in Franga would be around the $300k mark and neutral cashflow.

Ah well. Be your own guru.

wish it would happen - it's been talked about for so long on here

as the little red cabboose said... i think i can, i think i can...

Frankston can be roughly divided into 2 sections, Nth ex housing commission area known as "the Pines" and Sth, beach side of the Highway. Terry Ryder and ML I believe are investing, or talking up, the Nth bit. The prices in the Sth can be quite high, a beach front land only block with an "expected" price range of high $600's sold at auction last weekend for $906k. A guy here at work was at the auction as he once owned the house next door.

Sp, depending what you want, Nth will have cheaper properties, the Sth will cost more but are non housing commission. I noted that the last Residex report was touting Skye as an area of growth, but if you follow Terry’s philosophy, you don't invest in new housing estates.

Does anyone know where Ryder is personally buying stuff himself? That would be interesting.

I know that another property guru, Margaret Lomas, has been actively buying in Frankston. This suburb is also on Ryder's hotspotting list.

I think all gurus should declare what they own, when they bought it, and what they paid for whatever they bought. Its only fair.

I can answer one of the above questions. The answer is nil, zero, zilch!

The answer relates to Margaret!!

Was that a pin I heard dropped?

I was speaking with her briefly on the weekend and asked if she was still buying in Frankston - answer: no, I missed the boat! :eek:

I did not pry deeper but it would appear although she still likes the area prices must have moved up and no longer met her criteria by the time she started to look.

Or does someone know to the contrary? ;)

Back