The Art of Gen X/Y

it wasnt my intention to blame fat, bald and smelly on the opposite gender, I dont think it came across that way even after I reread, it was more pointing out the positions people are more likely to be in, with the current legal system

Ah, so it's the 'current legal system's' fault that some middle aged men are bald, fat and smelly ;)

I don't know a single person who openly and consciously elects to favour a good education for their sons and not their daughters.

Anyone who has that thinking is a total idiot.

I've got three daughters - we will support them in every way we reasonably can to succeed and they have just as much ability as their male counterparts - this is a pointless debate.

I don't know a single person who openly and consciously elects to favour a good education for their sons and not their daughters.

Anyone who has that thinking is a total idiot.

The article just points out this fact but is not discussing causation.

I've got three daughters - we will support them in every way we reasonably can to succeed and they have just as much ability as their male counterparts - this is a pointless debate.

Statistics are showing the the school system is significantly favouring girls: they are getting better marks, more places in higher education, etc. The pendulum has swung around and boys are now disadvantaged by the system.

Statistics are showing the the school system is significantly favouring girls: they are getting better marks, more places in higher education, etc. The pendulum has swung around and boys are now disadvantaged by the system.

I have been reading heaps of articles over the past few years that a higher % of girls actually get into uni, and they do far better then the boys,

I dont think thats a direct result of the school system favouring girls, I have no valid explanation for that, it may just be a genetic thing or the girls are actually brighter thing or a sensible thing that the girls might want to try and study harder or that the boys possibly do more physical hard labour or trade jobs, and hence dont go to uni.

however its very ironic that despite having such a great head start, stats show that the average woman has far less super and less average income.

and yes you could say that being a stay at home mum for a number of years has caused that, but it is still evident in women that havent had any kids, or comparing a male and a female before they have kids say at 30 years old

so something makes that happen

Girls mature faster than boys so this is to be expected. I wasn't truly focused until 25.

I wonder if the current stats that show more females engaging in higher education are due to the fact that so many mature-age women are taking-on university degrees these days?

Out of my circle of friends, acquaintances, work colleagues, kid's friend's parents, etc, I can count atleast 15 women, aged 30+, who are currently undertaking uni degrees (mostly Primary School Teaching - others include Nursing and Accounting). I know of only two mature-age males who are studying (one is studying for a Law degree whilst also working full-time and another is a 35 year old who is doing an electrical apprenticeship) - most of the other males I know are working full-time after gaining qualifications straight out of school.

Of the school leavers I know, the numbers of boys and girls entering or currently studying higher education are about the same.

The thing that I gain from these mere observations is that, with more and more women gaining higher qualifications and, therefore, earning higher incomes (often combined with husbands/partners on similar good incomes) - property prices are sure to rise due to their ability to pay more for real estate! :D

Girls mature faster than boys so this is to be expected. I wasn't truly focused until 25.

This.

I think too the ones that can 'comfortably' sit still for longer do better.

Why often less bright kids can perform equally as well as some of the brighter ones.

There are several studies proving the importance of educating women. If you educate a man you educate one person. Educate a woman and you educate a nation.

My religion even states if you can only afford to send one child to school, it should be your daughter.

There are several studies proving the importance of educating women. If you educate a man you educate one person. Educate a woman and you educate a nation.

My religion even states if you can only afford to send one child to school, it should be your daughter.
Nice pithy line about educating the nation but can you link to the study that backs it up?

Nice pithy line about educating the nation but can you link to the study that backs it up?

Two second google search.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...xYGYDQ&usg=AFQjCNE3ehfb8kmI8l-U_kCBIhKfVrxLqA

I'll ask around and post, been about a decade since I researched it. Would be a bit in relation to micro-financing I believe.

*edit* will post links as I get them below:
http://elibrary.worldbank.org/content/book/9780801845345
http://theelders.org/article/promise-girls
http://www.girleffect.org/about/

Last edited:
Two second google search.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...xYGYDQ&usg=AFQjCNE3ehfb8kmI8l-U_kCBIhKfVrxLqA

I'll ask around and post, been about a decade since I researched it. Would be a bit in relation to micro-financing I believe.

*edit* will post links as I get them below:
http://elibrary.worldbank.org/content/book/9780801845345
http://theelders.org/article/promise-girls
http://www.girleffect.org/about/
Sorry, none of the links provide evidence of your assertion that educating a man educates only a single person whilst educating a woman educates and entire nation.

Sorry, none of the links provide evidence of your assertion that educating a man educates only a single person whilst educating a woman educates and entire nation.

The world bank one states it in summary. There's an attached pdf. I'll keep looking when I have time.

Educating women in third world countries provides opportunity for primary care giver. An educated woman (we ain't necessarily talking applied science degree here) can make better financial decisions, pass on the knowledge to her kids and community who work in clusters and make informed decisions on sexual health.

A man in those countries won't have a direct influence on the children in comparisson as they will be away working. If the woman has basic math skills or life skills, I'm hypothesising the kids will have a greater start at school.

From observation, the mothers in my circle who have higher moral and usually also tertiary education have more grounded kids who do better in social and academics settings. These are the ones who stay at home during child raising. I know a lot of my social etiquette came from my mum who grew up in an upper class household. Definitely didn't learn it from my dad :p

Nhg, we all know education and knowledge empowers PEOPLE but lots of assumptions being made by you and the author about roles and outcomes?

Like...

A man in those countries won't have a direct influence on the children

Perhaps if they never saw him, but that applies to developed countries too.

Men that work away from home, and women for that matter, do have a big influence on their children :rolleyes:.

From observation, the mothers in my circle who have higher moral and usually also tertiary education have more grounded kids who do better in social and academics settings. These are the ones who stay at home during child raising. I know a lot of my social etiquette came from my mum who grew up in an upper class household. Definitely didn't learn it from my dad :p
Don't agree, and here's why;

I and my sister were raised until 11 by a poor, single mother. Occasional part-time work and the single mothers' pension. A renter, a battler for sure, but very proud and had class, very strict on us two..

Then, my stepfather came into our lives. He was an orphan. Definitely poor, but a terrific human being with high standards.

No real education between either of them.

They had two more kids together, and all 4 of us have grown up to become reasonably decent and useful humans to the planet.

We all have kids of our own now. Admittedly, none of us 4 - or our kids - have gone on to become higher level professional career adults (yet), but all the grown up ones (my sister has 4 adult kids now) have decent jobs and so on.

My wife and I managed to share the raising of all 3 of our kids (still doing it) and be there for them without farming them out to carers.

In this day and age, many fathers are doing this, and they are not necessarily higher level social ladder or career men.

In fact; quite the opposite; many of these types of parents are so caught up in their careers and work such long hours, that they are not as involved with their kids, and have to farm them out to the grandparents etc.

A stay at home mum also does not necessarily have to be an upper social circle person to have high morals or social etiquette....from my experience in life.

Back