The Australian housing bubble furphy

We need to reintroduce the gold standard, de-float the AUD and rebuild our manufacturing sector for house prices to stabilise? What a basket case property market we must have!

no - i'm trying to join the dots for our young upstarts.

*snip*

Then there's the pressure the situation is putting on renters, many of whom are struggling as it is, as investors manically increase rents in a desperate attempt to achieve positive cashflow. Despite the rhetoric and carefully tweaked figures, long term unemployment is the highest it's been in a decade. Many are struggling. The cost of essentials (housing utilities food) is outpacing wage growth. This rosy world where everybody receives an annual pay rise and can afford a new car every 5 years does not match the reality I see around me. Maybe things are different in WA.

again, joining the dots to pick apart their theoretical argument.

Fifth said:
In terms of property, modest incremental growth coupled with decent rental yields is far from a bad thing.

my point all along.

You can't read this, but here goes.

If you put down a decent deposit then its easy to run a CF+ portfolio at present after factoring negative gearing and depreciation. In the medium term prices are probably going to rise so you'll be ahead in capital terms as well.

How many investors are putting down a decent enough deposit to achieve CF+?

What about rent rises? Don't you think that will allow rents to catch up?

If property goes up, rents will not catch up even with rent rises. Both stagnation and rent rises are required to bridge the gap.

The market is fairly balanced at the moment with decent yields and a fairly strong floor under prices due to high replacement costs, wage pressure, low unemployment, average interest rates and undersupply of stock. Rents are set to increase ahead of inflation in the near term due to the wage price pressure and the undersupply in residential housing stock.

Yields are anything but decent and undersupply is not an issue in most cities. You're from Sydney, which I understand does have a genuine supply issue.

No it's not. It's lazy and pointless. Try house prices to disposable income, for a start.

Then compare the average house built in the 1950's, compared to the average house built now. Apples and oranges.

it is an indicator of house prices compared to income.

WHAT THE **** IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT ?

There are many methods of measuring affordability, none of them flawless. Funnily enough, they all seem to conclude pretty much the same thing - prices are high whilst affordability is low. We can bicker about how high and high low, whipping out graphs, charts and quaint 'can-do' personal tales, but there is no denying that property is expensive. I've yet to see anything other than anecdotal 'evidence' deduce otherwise.
Maybe look at it from the only angle you can,property has always been expensive in locations that every one else wants to live,was the same in 1983 when i started,is the same today only the media keeps everyone up too date on what's happening,and most who write in the papers don't have 20 cents in the back pocket or have to balls to take risks,after all anyone can complain on how bad their life is,property can drop 40%
2 we control have in a matter of hours after the Brisbane Floods ,2 years it will not matter,anyone who targets those floods area's over the next 16 weeks as a very high% will default on their loans in those area's once they all know that the so called insurance companies wipe them like a dunny rag..

How can someones opinion class them as a 'misguided soul' Michael.

is it because you dont like what they are saying? Is it because they have a different opinion to you?

What is the use of this forum if people with different opinions are treated like you treat those.

The answer probably explain why you have so many on ignore. Why cant you take these peoples opinions on board with out being offended (alarmed, moved to ignore them) so much?

Sorry, but another member to join my ignore list with Beebop and others. It does make reading the threads a fair bit easier but seeing them quoted all the time is still somewhat annoying. Where do these misguided souls spring from...

Cheers,
Michael

I think the idea with this is to look a bit deeper to see if we can draw any conclusions based on how much money people *actually have available* to spend on property. This is quite different from simply how much people earn.

As has been discussed previously, incomes, tax rates, costs of other things have all changed over time. This distorts the amount available to support a mortgage, and thus reduces the usefulness of the measure. Disposable income attempts to remove some of this distortion.

We all know that property changes in terms of affordability over time. We had a long period where property got steadily cheaper in real terms, and then became steadily more expensive. This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, and investors should know this.

Unfortunately, that makes it more difficult for some people to buy a house when prices are at or near their peak. Such people have options, including:
1) Buy a house anyway, and plan to keep it for a long period
2) Rent, and save/invest until prices are more affordable
3) Rent, but buy an investment property which they could potentially move into at a later stage.

Each option has risks, and benefits. The individual needs to choose which way to act, and why. Some options are better suited to some people than others.

It's easy to understand. That's why you understand it. But it doesn't MEAN anything.

It's a lazy stat used by tabloid newspapers to show how more expensive houses are compared to many years ago.

But it doesn't take into account increases in disposable income, increase in two income families, different houses being built, to name but a few.

or maybe tax rates in 2 are 99% so you really only have $1 making the multiple 200.

That is what you cant comprehend Beepop, the reduced taxes you pay is what makes property affordable. if tax rates were 99% it would make sense to pay more for property. A 10% interest rate would effectively be 0.1, after tax deductions. plus depreciation which will more than cover rates and maintenance. Wow the property is positive geared before rental income, the rent is all profit. Think I could buy a few more. I am not paying tax and I also got tax free money by drawing on my increasing equity, in fact I increase my tax deductions the more equity I draw on.

How can someones opinion class them as a 'misguided soul' Michael.

is it because you dont like what they are saying? Is it because they have a different opinion to you?

What is the use of this forum if people with different opinions are treated like you treat those.

The answer probably explain why you have so many on ignore. Why cant you take these peoples opinions on board with out being offended (alarmed, moved to ignore them) so much?

Hi Evand,

My issue is that their opinions are unsustainable and argued as fact. I pointed this out in my post with references to the unsustainable blanket statements. If they were opinions based on some sort of sound reasoning then I would welcome the informed debate. But they're not, they're drivel and unbalanced. To be fair, if someone came on and said properties are going to boom next year by 40% because aliens will land and lay claim to all vacant land I'd probably put them on ignore too.

Cheers,
Michael

It's easy to understand. That's why you understand it. But it doesn't MEAN anything.

It's a lazy stat used by tabloid newspapers to show how more expensive houses are compared to many years ago.

But it doesn't take into account increases in disposable income, increase in two income families, different houses being built, to name but a few.

omg.... it does MEAN something. maybe b.c it is not the ratio of disposable income to house prices is what it doesn't take those things into account

.........................................................................................................................................................................

why the hell would it account for different houses being built ? why would it care if the woman is working when it is not displosable household income ? do you know anything about statistics at all ?

how can it not? if we all build palaces the figure must be huge

how do statistics distort this? I don't get it

b.c it is not the multipier of income to cost of house per metre or multiplier of income to disposable household income, it is the multiper of income to house prices..

That is what you cant comprehend Beepop, the reduced taxes you pay is what makes property affordable. if tax rates were 99% it would make sense to pay more for property. A 10% interest rate would effectively be 0.1, after tax deductions. plus depreciation which will more than cover rates and maintenance. Wow the property is positive geared before rental income, the rent is all profit. Think I could buy a few more. I am not paying tax and I also got tax free money by drawing on my increasing equity, in fact I increase my tax deductions the more equity I draw on.

rent also depends on disposable income. ... lets sayin 33% of after tax income goes on rent

income = 100

price of property = 100

tax rate = 99% ur disposable income = $1.

rent = 33% of income = .33

7% interest = $7

net rental loss = 6.67

tax deduction = 6.603

.067 = net cost

for a 1 * income mulplier.

now make it 9.

income = 100
property = 900

interest @ 7% = 63

rent = .33

net rental loss = 62.67
tax deduction = 62.0433

.627 = net cost

so the multiplier does matter

plus then you've got the non interest part of the payment.

Last edited:
rent also depends on disposable income. ... lets sayin 33% of after tax income goes on rent

income = 100

price of property = 100

rent = 33% of income = .33

7% interest = $7

net rental loss = 6.67

tax deduction = 6.603

.067 = net cost

for a 1 * income mulplier.

now make it 9.

income = 100
property = 900

interest @ 7% = 63

rent = .33

net rental loss = 62.67
tax deduction = 62.0433

.627 = net cost

so the multiplier does matter

Once again you prove you have no understanding. Just because the tax rate is 99%. It does not mean that is how much tax you pay. Heard of Tax free threshold, tax brackets Building allowance and depreciation, FMDs, DPPs, supperannuation, LVRs, defered income, warehousing, EQUITY it is tax free at 99% tax rate great deduction. As you cant mount a sensible argument to justify your posistion, you have to resort to nonsense. Dont tell people who have done it, it cant be done. You can put brains in a pumpkin but you cant make them think.

but this can work in reverse as well.
Disposable incomes have risen very well over the last 15 years, but could this go into reverse now?
increased costs of electricity/gas/food prices.
significant tax cuts for the middle class is no longer happening.
carbon tax effect
if the resource boom slows down there will be budgetary pressures with further potential negative effects on disposable income.

Back