The Block

For those that have been living under a rock for the last month ... don't forget the new series of The Block starts tonight on Channel 9 at 7pm.

It is only the elimination week - apparently starting with 8 couples and 4 couples get kicked off this week before The Block proper starts.

Should be interesting - bit like watching a train wreck! Do get some good ideas at times tho.

For those that have been living under a rock for the last month ... don't forget the new series of The Block starts tonight on Channel 9 at 7pm.

It is only the elimination week - apparently starting with 8 couples and 4 couples get kicked off this week before The Block proper starts.

Should be interesting - bit like watching a train wreck! Do get some good ideas at times tho.

i think in other countries it's called "big brother renovation"

Thanks for the reminder, Lizzie. I'm slightly obsessed with interior design and absolutely LOVE that show. However, I hope they let the contestants choose their furnishings and homewares from more than just the one store. ie. last year it was all 'Freedom' stuff. I like Freedom furniture, etc but more variety would be better. But I suppose that's the almight advertising dollar for you.

:)

Loved the first show. Loved the black bedroom.

It started in Brisbane at 7pm and went for an hour, but tomorrow night's show goes for only half an hour?

Overwhelming vote in our house was for the black and white bedroom ... needed the white dresser with perhaps a pinch of colour - like a couple of classic coloured glasses.

But ... the other room won. Obviously we're not "with it" enough :eek:

7.30 pm instead of 7pm here too

I also loved the black bedroom - will have to chase up the colours used and keep in my maybe pile.

Personally I think the show needs a couple who can think outside the box and buy second hand retro.

I like the new format too...with 2 couples competing against each other to do one room.

Cheers
Sheryn

Actually it was painful to sit through ACA (seriousness) waiting for the The Block (fun) to come on so I channel surfed.

Just the thought of a black bedroom is repugnant, however seeing the finished product I quite liked it also. Much nicer than the other room.

I liked the black bedroom too AND it actually did use the piece of furniture they were given as a basis. It was reflected in the colour and then also the round rug and mirror.

the other couple are more divisive though so I think that's why they won. They will get people talking - what is reality tv without someone like that control freak bloke?:D

Funny that it started at 7pm for me. A few people were confused on twitter why some people were ahead of them. I swapped over to masterchef... I had followed Katrina on Twitter and she was talking about the interview to be on the show. Then she disappeared for awhile so a few of us knew that she would be on the show.

I liked the black & white room but I don't think you can have a bedroom without a wardrobe! Even though the colours they chose were "risky" nothing else about the room was. If the room were in any other colour it would just be pretty normal. They could have gone way more out there and dramatic with the lighting, art work and bed side tables too. I think they needed to use an accent colour as well (Maybe yellow? I know that sounds weird but I think black & white with a hint of yellow looks really good..something like this http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QNHYzAmsZ...coal-walls-yellow-white-black-living-room.jpg or http://www.porterhousedesigns.com/colorsizzle/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/100_4135.jpg ). The room comes up so boring in photographs without an accent colour http://homes.ninemsn.com.au/theblock/galleries/169547/the-block-2011-day-1.slideshow

I like that the other couple were using second-hand furniture so it isn't so chain store. Not sure how I feel about the designer furniture replicas though :S isn't it kind of like having a fake designer hand bag? I loveee the decorating style they're doing but I don't think mainstream Australia is going to get it at all!

In the end I think they just chose the young couple because they're going to bring more drama. The other couple worked too well together haha.

Ahh I felt the worst twinge of jealousy knowing they're renovating workers cottages :(

Last edited:
I liked the black bedroom too - although, realistically, having a bedroom painted completely black does not make good real estate sense (neutral, neutral and neutral and adding colour through accessories is always best!) But it did look more impressive on TV.

I hated the 'eclectic' family room - too many different styles going on for mine. I was talking to my elderly Mum today who was laughing that it was like her lounge room in the '60s and she hated it because back then she only had all that mix-matched furniture because they were poor and couldn't afford anything better!

It will be interesting to see what types of rooms the remaining couples do. Personally I would like to see something a bit different to the usual 'main bedroom' or 'living room'. Maybe a kid's playroom? Nursery? Dining area?

By the way, the fact that most of the 'couple's' look young and glamorous is a let down for me - not that I'm saying that they aren't going to be interesting or have personality, but it just makes me wonder how many couples, who may have been great on the show, missed out because they didn't fit the producer's want of eye candy for the advertisers...? Whenever the young girls with their t*ts bulging out appear on a reality TV show I can't help but do this :rolleyes: as it's just so typical! Hetro males need not agree :D.

Back