The Block

LOL @ gottabespotless! I agree about all the glamour girls, I guess it's just something else we just have to shrug our shoulders at, otherwise we get called jealous old uglies yada yada.

Anyhoo, last night was fun. I loved the bedroom, my little man would have been very happy with a room like that and I really laughed at the Qld woman, she was entertaining. Shame both those couples couldn't go through really.

By the way, the fact that most of the 'couple's' look young and glamorous is a let down for me - not that I'm saying that they aren't going to be interesting or have personality, but it just makes me wonder how many couples, who may have been great on the show, missed out because they didn't fit the producer's want of eye candy for the advertisers...? Whenever the young girls with their t*ts bulging out appear on a reality TV show I can't help but do this :rolleyes: as it's just so typical! Hetro males need not agree :D.

It's called marketing, and it's no secret that Channel 10's target audience is the 18-35 year old.

So, almost every show will feature mostly that type of human, and ugliness or anything less than Hollywood A-list glamour is not an option.

Make sure you add atitude, slick and a huge dose of "cheese"; a la Hawaii 5-O, Bones, The Great Race, Survivor, Big Brother, Aussie Idol, CSI franchise and all the gameshow/reality/ cookie-cutter shows they trot out.

Look at those twins on The Block (I don't watch the show, never will - the ads give enough away about what it's really about - ratings for advertising dollars). Now, I ask you; when will you see them wear anything else but a boob-tube or singlet that is 2 sizes too tight. Cute.

Not that I mind admiring beautiful female specimens, but come on. It's shameless, and insults our intelligence. Like the crew from Backyard Blitz...geeezarz.

I can see girls with less on on my computer, and no mind-numbing ads. ;). Just give me Grand Designs, or "A Touch of Frost" anyday.

Of course; I am not in the demographic, and slowly sinking into the ABC and Movie channel sunset I guess. :D

Has Channel 10 shown a movie this century?

It's called marketing, and it's no secret that Channel 10's target audience is the 18-35 year old.

So, almost every show will feature mostly that type of human, and ugliness or anything less than Hollywood A-list glamour is not an option.

Make sure you add atitude, slick and a huge dose of "cheese"; a la Hawaii 5-O, Bones, The Great Race, Survivor, Big Brother, Aussie Idol, CSI franchise and all the gameshow/reality/ cookie-cutter shows they trot out.

Look at those twins on The Block (I don't watch the show, never will - the ads give enough away about what it's really about - ratings for advertising dollars). Now, I ask you; when will you see them wear anything else but a boob-tube or singlet that is 2 sizes too tight. Cute.

Not that I mind admiring beautiful female specimens, but come on. It's shameless, and insults our intelligence. Like the crew from Backyard Blitz...geeezarz.

I can see girls with less on on my computer, and no mind-numbing ads. ;). Just give me Grand Designs, or "A Touch of Frost" anyday.

Of course; I am not in the demographic, and slowly sinking into the ABC and Movie channel sunset I guess. :D

Has Channel 10 shown a movie this century?

I need stronger spectacles - I thought I was watching channel 9? Although ever since the departure of Mr K Packer, it's easy to mistake channel 9 for channel 10.

I can't stand all those arrogant, plastic, completely void of intellig...oh I'm too old and tired to be bothered whinging tonight... Now, where did I leave my hormone replacement tablets...and my anti-aging, wrinkle cream...and my...oh I forget...?

Look at those twins on The Block ... Now, I ask you; when will you see them wear anything else but a boob-tube or singlet that is 2 sizes too tight. Cute.

Don't worry Marc - if there is a God they will get hammered tonight when they actually have to do some "work".

As for last night ... who would have thought? ... Misson Brown actually looked good. Obviously fashion goes around.

Still cringed whenever I hear the paint colour name tho, even if the room did end up looking pretty darn good.

Although, the 1970's brown rental carpet shag rug was cringeworthy!

As for the couple buying at Nick Scali ... loved it how the other couple bought almost identical leather sofa for $1,000 (yep, that's right) less! I was out lounge shopping yesterday - BLR $7,000 - Nick Scali $5,000 - Freedom $3,500 - OzDesign $3,000 ... all for almost identical lounges.

Don't you think judging the twins as lazy based on their appearance is exactly the same as deeming unattractive people as unworthy of being on television? If you're a young attractive woman nobody takes you seriously even if you're incredibly intelligent and hardworking. But if you're an unattractive woman you're invisible. You just can't win!

I'm just watching the episode! I can't believe one couple totally ignored the fireplace and the other just rips it out! One of my most favourite things is when people modernise a home but find a way of making the old fashioned features work with it. It makes the home unique and not just some McMansion in the suburbs that looks like every other house!

Why wouldn't you wall mount the TV above the fireplace? Or just forget the TV, plenty of people have "fancy" lounges and sitting rooms these days. Why is everyone doing bedrooms and lounge rooms. Why not a dining room? Or a library? Or a study? I think the fireplace would be perfect in any of those types of rooms!

I would have done something like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_a3o7USF8h...ACuQ/09mc6qUgJj4/s1600-h/silver+fireplace.jpg

or this http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=18031&currentPage=3&index=15&relatedPhotoId=84388

Or I would have painted the fireplace a totally contrasting colour to the wall like this: http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=37242&currentPage=2&index=3&relatedPhotoId=84388

Ooo or a bathroom! A bathroom with a fireplace = dream room! A big bath tub infront of the fireplace! Maybe they aren't allowed to do bathrooms or kitchens or they're too pricey for the budget? http://www.gapinteriors.com/images/WebPreview/0058/0058024.jpg http://www.digsdigs.com/photos/luxury-bathroom-design-axor-12.jpg

I wonder if any team will realise that instead of buying furniture for the elimination round, they would be able to get a lot better quality if the rent it for the $5k budget.

Don't you think judging the twins as lazy based on their appearance is exactly the same as deeming unattractive people as unworthy of being on television?

I didn't say they were lazy ... if you watch the first intro session the twins walk in with their high heels, tight and skimpy designer clothes, flash nails, salon hair and handbags swinging "a la Hilton sisters". They have admitted that they have never renovated anything before in their lives and appear to be high maintenance.

Paris and Nicki immediately sprung to mind.

May just be a ploy ... will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Only saw the 10 minutes of the show last night, I am looking forward to see how the twins versus sisters go tonight.

Good to have a programme to watch each night as I am not a sports follower and prefer to read the news rather than watch it on TV.

The Renovators should be starting soon too.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

I thought 'if there is a God they will get hammered tonight when they actually have to do some "work"' was kind of similar to saying they're lazy.

I think they have stylists working on the show. If you look at the very first episode all the women are dressed in a very similar way. I'm sure they have hair and makeup done etc.

Also..if you were applying to a reality show and you're smart you would probably try to figure out the angle that you can milk to get on the show. If you're young and hot and twins of course you're going to work that to your advantage! That doesn't mean they aren't willing to work hard or that they're bimbos!

Most 25 year olds wouldn't have experience I guess. I think it will be really interesting to see how a young couple without much experience do because this is the position many of the viewers are actually in (like me haha) and it will definitely make for more interesting TV. It's good watching experienced renovators but I still think inexperienced people would add something to the show!

I didn't say they were lazy ... if you watch the first intro session the twins walk in with their high heels, tight and skimpy designer clothes, flash nails, salon hair and handbags swinging "a la Hilton sisters". They have admitted that they have never renovated anything before in their lives and appear to be high maintenance.

Paris and Nicki immediately sprung to mind.

May just be a ploy ... will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If I was on I'd do the following:

Spend $1000 only on something a bit weird.

Eg kitchen foil wallpaper on all the walls, with gaffa tape hiding the gaps.

Long mirrors everywhere, most furniture black metal.

Some clever lighting.

Maybe a fancy table - maybe from a stack of car tyres with round glass top and red velvet placemats. Also have tyres on the wall with coloured plates inside them (red, orange and green if you wanted an automotive theme).

Overall use really cheap or even second hand stuff (though I suspect their rules prohibit this).

Then a $4000 cheque to the judges to donate to their chosen charity (a bribe being too blatant)

Neither of 'the sister' teams had any idea what they were doing. The winning room was HIDEOUS - cluttered with small, insignificant ornaments and looked cheap. The other couples previously eliminated (especially the first eliminated couple) would have the right to feel justifiably Pee'd off in my opinion!

I think the twin's room was the better of the two tonight but they were still completely clueless re renovating. The sisters who won weren't much better and it makes me wonder who on earth would buy a property knowing that those two had renovated it given how much they have to do themselves?

Age is definitely no barrier to a classy reno/refurb as long as it's done properly and, in my opinion, conservatively (if your aim is to appeal to the masses and sell for a profit). My hubby and I were in our early 20s when we completely refurbished an old house we'd bought (I was all of 22). We put it on the market and sold it to the first people who looked at it for the asking price (my only regret is letting the agent talk us into putting an asking price $10 000 less than we thought it was worth - I'm sure they would have paid more :mad:!). From that moment on we were addicted! We have been building, renovating, buying and selling ever since.

Should be an interesting series...

Both teams were rather pathetic tonight. Sheesh, how hard is it to work out that you need to drill the hole for the screw first to hang the curtains!

Pity some of the previous "great but elimiated" rooms weren't up against them.

Didn't like either of them - but admit the twins room was (imo) better. Rather bland tho and I think that's why the other sisters won.

I agree! The twins room was so matchy-matchy and boring and I hated the other room. It's a shame the twins didn't go through because I found them way more entertaining!

Thank goodness the twins didn't go through! If I had to hear another "anythink" or "nothink" out of them I'd have broken my tv!

I actually quite liked the blue/green couch the other sisters used. They were told to be brave, and that was braver than brown brown and more brown.

Hmmm I'm thinking the producers will get the twins back later as some sort of 'wild card' or something just to see some more tight tops.

It really needed more testosterone last night I feel, the men are much more appealling.

I wonder if any team will realise that instead of buying furniture for the elimination round, they would be able to get a lot better quality if the rent it for the $5k budget.

I've been wondering too what happens to all that exxy furniture after the show. I hope they're donating it or something. What a waste (but perhaps that's just my inner skin-flint talking :D).
Thank heavens those twins didn't make it through. They were clueless and clearly chosen for the look-at-me factor. But kudos to them for saving money and hiring a tradesman with some nous to finish off the hard stuff.
I'm loving the show this time around. I think it being in Melbourne helps, and there are some more interesting characters on it - sure, they're all telegenic, but that young couple of Maidstone (first show, I think?) who got through, and the couple from Wodonga (hmm ... third show?) have great potential. Interesting to see this time, too, that many of the men, at least, have trades backgrounds - couple of landscape gardeners, a plumber I think.

I've been wondering too what happens to all that exxy furniture after the show. I hope they're donating it or something. What a waste (but perhaps that's just my inner skin-flint talking :D).

I was thinking exactly that earlier in the week ... there are a couple of pieces I'd like to have dibs on!

Back