The Block

I've been wondering too what happens to all that exxy furniture after the show.

Been thinking

I wonder if they have to reconstruct their room in the actual property and use what they have selected. The show I missed most of had fireplaces so maybe one of the properties has a fireplace?

Hooked me...

Sheryn

Sheryn, I had the same thought that they would have to use the first room they have constructed in thier house.

I think this is going to be a great show since they have to entirely renovate a house, yard etc. I love old houses so seeing what twist they place on them will be interesting.

I to have to wonder about some of the rooms that "won" the elimination, I agree that black bedroom was beautiful, I thought.

At the moment there does not appear to be many "personaltys" this year, but media manipulation may prove that to be wrong.

Previous years with the gay guys, and the two tradie guys were just so much fun to watch.

LOL someone beat you to it on a tin foil room https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K3tS57roQfc/TXmH7U7makI/AAAAAAAABJw/DU_fgGnIAb8/s640/tin+foil.jpg

If I was on I'd do the following:

Spend $1000 only on something a bit weird.

Eg kitchen foil wallpaper on all the walls, with gaffa tape hiding the gaps.

Long mirrors everywhere, most furniture black metal.

Some clever lighting.

Maybe a fancy table - maybe from a stack of car tyres with round glass top and red velvet placemats. Also have tyres on the wall with coloured plates inside them (red, orange and green if you wanted an automotive theme).

Overall use really cheap or even second hand stuff (though I suspect their rules prohibit this).

Then a $4000 cheque to the judges to donate to their chosen charity (a bribe being too blatant)

Wish they would get the advertised time & days right

as they are creating and expectation of watching a show a certain time and on certain days.

I sat down on Friday night to watch the block and there was no block - just a small segment on ACA. :(

Was surprised that The Block was on Saturday night and missed the start but what a good show.

Now I eagerly await what's in the houses so I can make up my mind which house I think is the best to start with.

Sheryn

as they are creating and expectation of watching a show a certain time and on certain days.

I sat down on Friday night to watch the block and there was no block - just a small segment on ACA. :(

Was surprised that The Block was on Saturday night and missed the start but what a good show.

Now I eagerly await what's in the houses so I can make up my mind which house I think is the best to start with.

Sheryn

Missed the block on Friday as we had family visiting and didn't know it was on saturday :D

Hmmm, it looks like it depends where you live. Here it was on Friday night after ACA and nothing over the weekend.

There was an article in yesterday's Herald Sun about it being sexist and having lots of 'boob' shots of the twins and the twins response was "they're just jealous". JUST as I predicted, I'm an out and out genius :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get past all this first garbage (how boring was it watching them unlock the coloured doors? Thank goodness I could fast-forward it) and get onto the real stuff!!

Enjoyed watching Hot Auctions again too, and whats the story with The Renovators? Might just go Google that too. Finally some good shows for us without Foxtel. :)

Oh no! I didn't know there was a Saturday show. Looked through the guide for the whole weekend, but couldn't see anything. ACA was on on Friday night so pretty sure I was safe there. Must have missed the listing for Saturday night. Bugger!

Starts proper tonight - don't miss it.

OMG tho - the houses/shacks look more like Nathan jobbies than Lizzie jobs!

Starts proper tonight - don't miss it.

OMG tho - the houses/shacks look more like Nathan jobbies than Lizzie jobs!

Agree. I cannot imagine how the twins would have managed with such a lot of basic repair work needed before the "pretty" decorating could start :eek:.

I'm not sure the sisters will cope too well either. They didn't seem to have too much in the way of basic skills. Will be interesting to see.

Just looked up on TV guide what time the show will be on tonight and noticed that this year's show repeats are on today on GEM from 2.24pm!

Cheers
Sheryn

Last edited:
Oooh! Great find with the blog, Cupcakes. Her home looks gorgeous - it's my kind of style. I may have been wrong about the sisters??? That is one beautiful reno!

Not matching up to advertised times on own website

Today I looked up on www.ninemsn.com.au what time THE BLOCK started in Sydney and Brisbane on their TV guides and both said 7 pm as I live in Northern NSW anyway here we are at 7.30 pm and The Block has not started although there was a small segment on ACA.

Oooh! Great find with the blog, Cupcakes. Her home looks gorgeous - it's my kind of style. I may have been wrong about the sisters??? That is one beautiful reno!

I really like the children's rooms and the kitchen. But some other parts of the house look a bit confused. Like the TV area has a country looking table with modern couches :confused: And even though I love the kitchen it's kind of Hamptons style isn't it? It doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the house. But I'm just being nit picky, I'm sure I couldn't do any better haha!

I can't believe the sisters ripped out the fire place though!

The young couple were so smart to choose the double front home, it seems way bigger than the rest of the houses.

How much repetition and bumpf was there on last night's show? I started watching it 10 minutes late - using the rather awesome Foxtel IQ2. Fast-forwarded through the ads, repetition, rubbish and still caught up with about 10 minutes to go. For an hour's episode, I think it probably had 30 minutes of new content.
And, another gripe, they've all got stuck in to renovating their week one room, but no one has explained what they have to do or when it has to be finished - when does week one end? Sunday? Monday? Friday?
Also, the contestants clearly have some idea about the house and what each room is intended to be, but no one has told the viewers - there's no context, IYKWIM? I heard that each house is going to be three bedrooms, two bathrooms (two-storey for the single-fronters, single for the double-fronter), and from the look of the boxes on the upstairs of three of the houses, that design work is already done. Some explanations would be nice.
But I'm just grizzling ... still hooked and will be watching every episode, if I can. Might keep that Foxtel remote handy though :D

I just watched last night's episode and did exactly the same. Fast forward past the repetition. I plan on doing that more often than watching it "live".

You gotta love the remote :D.

For all the points made by Tuppence - if it doesn't improve quick I'm back to watching my Grand Designs DVDs.

Nothing was explained ... there were so many tradies/builders there it was impossible to tell who was who and who was working for the contestants and who was doing some "finishing off" for the producers (windows etc).

Surely they would've had all the finishing off BEFORE expecting people to start renovating the room. How can you start to rip and bust when some random turns up to suddenly advise he's here to put the new window in?

And Shelley Craft? Noooooooooooo!

What I'd really love to see is the contestants given the houses, the money, the time and then just left to it without all these silly contests, window installers etc.

Last edited:
I agree with Tuppence and Lizzie. I enjoyed the first week (although watching that S L O W garage door rise in every episode caused me to nod off). I'm quickly losing interest. Although I know I won't be able to help myself when all the dust disappears and the business of decorating starts happening :).

I agree with everything everyone has said above! I was interested in learning about renovating but it's mostly just these lame contests. I wish they did some kind of classes each week, like on Master Chef they have a weekly Master Class with an amazing chef. They could do the same type of thing except with amazing interior designers or architects etc?

I've only watched the Australian series of Grand Designs and I even got impatient with that. I'd watch the first 15 mins and the last 15 mins of each episode pretty much haha. I got really sick of the way the host described everything "Oh, this room feels quite generous, very substantial" ughh annoying! lol

Back