The Block

Yes I know it was a filler...but that woman would fit right in with Jamie Drurie...why they chose that one beat me...I have bought the DVD sets and there are some fantastic projects on them.

Well tonight we get the bathroom and laundry reveals on The Block and a new Grand Designs.....great!!!!!

Don't forget when going for the audition you two to wear short shorts :D

They wouldn't choose me...too old!!!

Chris

Drove past the block the other day, situated infront of a car park, and not the nicest street.

When do they go to Auction?

I wonder if they will pass in?

haha! Yes, I drove past as well and took a few pics! I'd say it is in a mixed zone. Certainly not an ideal street with the housing commission towers looming in the background! (There are a lot of towers too, not just one or two).

My bet is on them passing in. I mean - would you buy these places from novice renovators!!! They showed one of the contestants hacking off a structural brace the other day - how many more of these situations have occurred that haven't been picked up!

Yikes!!

:D:D:D:D:D LMAO! Would love to be a fly on the wall during one of your renos, Lizzie (albeit with ear plugs at certain times!).

My hubby is pretty good with floor plans. In fact, I always call him a disgruntled architect - so I tell him what I want and then generally leave him to it.

Our biggest drama used to always involve the money I spent on furniture and homewares. But we lived like paupers when we first got together and pumped almost every cent we earned into our IPs while we rented tiny apartments and had hardly any furniture, etc. so now I'm making up for it! I like to build from scratch or renovate, then sell-on and buy the next property/block of land (all our PPORs) and have lost count of how many times we've moved. I'll risk blowing my own trumpet here, but we've always sold them really quickly, even in dismal markets (90s) and, according to the purchasers, it's always been because of the way I've presented them (hence my username "gottabespotless" - this is my war cry when preparing a house for inspections). After about our 5th successful sale, hubby stopped complaining about my 'home shopping'. His only stipulation that we make plenty of money with the sale.

Back to The Block - bathroom reveals tonight. The sneak-peaks we've seen of the bathrooms look like they have gone for modern finishes. I'm not overly fussed on having super-modern bathrooms in old federation homes. Perhaps it's because I live in a fairly new area where everything is 'modern'. To have a fireplace, picture rails, timber floors, ceiling roses, etc, to me are luxuries that I'm not used to? I just think that 'modern' dates too quickly. It won't be long before people will be saying, "Oh, that house has an early 2010's reno and isn't modern anymore, just dated". I guess I'd keep and restore the homes old features and add more up-to-date touches with the furniture and accessories. I certainly wouldn't be doing what Rod and Tania are doing!

This one is for the guys - did you see tonight's wallpapering contest?

How many of you, if you had been Rod, been able to restrain yourself from telling Shelley to frigging shut-up when she was hassling him in the last few minutes while he was trying to get the last pieces lined up and glued flat. Jeeez, don't women know when to button up, we can only concentrate on one thing at a time! :D Jenna was pushing her luck too.

Kwik Grip over such a large area with a crease-able material ....ughhhhhh!

I'm making him shave his legs tonight in the useless 900x900 (with corner cut off) shower that he is adament is fine ... see how he feels when his butt knocks out thru the door!

haha - didn't actually shave his legs but reminded him to simulate the action ... came down from his shower grumpy and hasn't said a word all night!

... and yes, the wallpapering comp was awful - although - I don't know why they didn't put the glue on the board and then, starting at a corner, the two people carefully placing the pieces onto the glued board instead of getting them all blown about in the wind - bit like putting on contact paper - start at a corner and force out the bubbles as you go. Qwick Grip was unfair and nothing like wallpapering - and doing so outside in the wind was awful! The pros would never do such.

... and yes, the wallpapering comp was awful - although - I don't know why they didn't put the glue on the board and then, starting at a corner, the two people carefully placing the pieces onto the glued board instead of getting them all blown about in the wind - bit like putting on contact paper - start at a corner and force out the bubbles as you go. Qwick Grip was unfair and nothing like wallpapering - and doing so outside in the wind was awful! The pros would never do such.

Agree the wallpaper competition was awful and how mean and down right nasty is the prize, the producers are trying to create conflict amongst the contestants.

Definitely not funny.

Regards
Sheryn

Just found this thread.

As much as I disagreed with Josh and Jen winning week 2, and some of their decisions like spending $500 on 2 cushions when they actually have a really tight budget, they deserve to win as the only couple that saw the value of a double fronted house. What were the rest thinking?? Really gutted for them when they were later told that the others would get 2 storeys, when they were the only couple to make a wise decision based on the limited knowledge they had.

Next series they should get the contestants to bid for the property they want and it comes out of their budget, then it is genuinely a fair contest rather than random. They should get a few days to do their research and plan the layouts possible in each house to determine how much to bid for each. That is the best opportunity to recreate a real world situation.

I don't know why they didn't put the glue on the board and then, starting at a corner, the two people carefully placing the pieces onto the glued board instead of getting them all blown about in the wind -.

That was the first thing I thought of too. The only logical way to do it.

Oh, and Beachside, I agree. Shelly was a right pain in the a#$e.

Wow! You know how to put on wall paper lizzie?

Here I was last night when watching that, thinking only someone over 55 years old would have ever put wall paper onto a wall? How old are you again?:D

See ya's.

Gee, I underestimated how annoying Shelley is. Even the girls agree with me.

As for taking the $3k, fairest way is $2k from Josh and Jenna (2 x $5k wins) and $1k from Rod and Tania (1 x $5k win). This way they are only taking money from prizes, not contestants initial budget. They should ask what the others would do in the same situation - that will take the whinge out of them after the decision is made.

Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
I'm making him shave his legs tonight in the useless 900x900 (with corner cut off) shower that he is adament is fine ... see how he feels when his butt knocks out thru the door!

I just did my bathroom and stood in one of those cut of corner showers in a show room, I'm not big but I could not live with that. I did my own design, only cut off 150mm from each side out from the corner - leaves a corner panel about 220mm wide, you would not know the corner was missing and gives the extra room in my small bathroom that I needed.

Wow! You know how to put on wall paper lizzie?

haha - yes I do - and you don't put it on with kwik grip in the wind!

Roll the paste onto the back of the wallpaper - roll/fold it up so that paste side is against paste side - let it sit for 10-15mins to absorb the glue (otherwise the paper will peel off the wall) - and then hang.

I think I'm over The Block - and I am one of the biggest TV reno show junkies around (it's breaking my heart :rolleyes:).
But, for all the reasons mentioned by others, I've all but given it the flick: meaningless challenges, Shelley bloody Craft, endless repetition and, especially, the fact that they seem to do very little renovation. They're project managers, not renovators - which is fine, but that's not what we were sold.
I'll keep watching, but only on fast-forward to get through the dross. I'm also giving the days at the start of the week - all those challenges and all that Shelley Craft - a miss and tuning in for the later renovating and the room presentations.
(we're doing an ensuite soon, so the bathroom ep was handy for ideas this week :)).

soooooo - gottabe .... serious about signing up?

Bit of background on Lizzie:

-Neat freak
-Minimalist but loves blocks of colour/pattern against the neutral, ie one funky wallpaper wall in white room, white linen on bed with dramatic throw and cushions etc
-Likes clean lines that are pleasing for the eye to follow
-Doesn't like clutter for clutter sake but does like (eg) one simple but stunning object on a surface (or a small collection of objects that have a similar trait)

Perhaps I should include some photos?

soooooo - gottabe .... serious about signing up?

Bit of background on Lizzie:

-Neat freak
-Minimalist but loves blocks of colour/pattern against the neutral, ie one funky wallpaper wall in white room, white linen on bed with dramatic throw and cushions etc
-Likes clean lines that are pleasing for the eye to follow
-Doesn't like clutter for clutter sake but does like (eg) one simple but stunning object on a surface (or a small collection of objects that have a similar trait)

Perhaps I should include some photos?

*smiles and sighs with delight* Absolutely. We sound like a match made in reno/decorating/commercial television heaven, Lizzie. Now, a little about me;

- neat freak (although edging closer to OCD re cleanliness...can't help it :().
- Detest clutter - everything should have a 'place' and be in it (I'm big on inbuilt storage).
- I love 'contrasts' - eg. My current home has lots of white walls, kitchen, bathroom, etc, but I've got lots of navy blue with heaps of white furniture - the contrast is striking and the dark against the white looks really clean and crisp(I suppose I'd describe it as a bit 'Hamptons' style at the moment).
- I don't agree with slavishly trying to stick to a certain 'look' or style - I normally just buy whatever I think will look good and it usually works.
- I like clean, straight lines.
- Don't like an 'ultra modern' look, eg. I hated Rod and Tania's winning bathroom.
- In my 30's, married, kids.
- I possess ZERO sense of direction so you'd have to do most of the driving in the big city! :D

Back