The great house price crash 2005

Ausprop said:
why is someone desperate to invest? I am hoping someone over that side can fill me in on that - I can only guess there are a lot of people who want to own property that can only afford $200 to $250k and that rules them out of Sydney. Does that sound fair? Maybe the economy just continues to power on and its a status thing??

And I thought I was special ! That's pretty much me at the moment though....

A feature I have seen with Perth, is that I feel as though I get more bang for my buck.. Here in Townsville, my belief is that you can't get a 600m2 block, less than 10 y.o brick & tile for $200-$250K in a reasonable area. That amount may put you in the running for a 400m2 block, 70 y.o timber Queenslander requiring renovation.

IMO Townsville is not going to crash in a hurry though - fundamentally, it has a 100K+ population, a diverse industrial and manufacturing base, university, military, mineral processing and infant tourism inudstry.

I have to talk up Townsville so I can get more equity funding from my PPOR and go for another $250k-$300k for an IP ;)

Cheers
J

Umm. Last I heard was that the Army are planning on leaving Townsville and are headed to Darwin. Big things happening for Darwin but I fear that Townsville will receive a nasty nasty body blow. I recall way back when. The good folk of Townsville wanted the Army out. So the Army paid their personel in dollar notes (yep that long ago. when we had dollar notes and people were paid in cash). Next thing we knew Townsville was flooded in dollar bills. People were saying "you're in the army?" reply "no my husband/dad/wife is". ANyhow back onto property. There will be a lot of people leaving Townsville in the next couple of years.

All my info is garnared from both active and former servicemen who (in the case of active) were posted in Townsville but have been sent (as a complete unit) permanently to Darwin, in the case of the Latter live in Townsville and are active in the social clubs.

Last edited:
Punchy said:
Umm. Last I heard was that the Army are planning on leaving Townsville and are headed to Darwin. Big things happening for Darwin but I fear that Townsville will receive a nasty nasty body blow. I recall way back when. The good folk of Townsville wanted the Army out. So the Army paid their personel in dollar notes (yep that long ago. when we had dollar notes and people were paid in cash). Next thing we knew Townsville was flooded in dollar bills. People were saying "you're in the army?" reply "no my husband/dad/wife is". ANyhow back onto property. There will be a lot of people leaving Townsville in the next couple of years.
No smilies, no LOL's, no indication of humour....... You're serious aren't you?

Are you aware that the biggest project in town is a total refurbishment of Lavarack Brks? And what's this story about the dollar bills? Townsville has a tradition of being pro-service.

Thommo

Thommo said:
No smilies, no LOL's, no indication of humour....... You're serious aren't you?

Are you aware that the biggest project in town is a total refurbishment of Lavarack Brks? And what's this story about the dollar bills? Townsville has a tradition of being pro-service.

Thommo

Townsville has not had a tradition of being pro-service. When the army was looking for a place to set up in North Queensland they had a hard time. When Townsville relented they specified that the army set up in an undesirable area of town. I learnt the meaning of AJ in Townsville - Army Jerk. Also had to put up with social stigma. My mother met my dad at a party she was tricked into going to. At the time she hated servicemen (and she was no island in that attitude either). Maybe things have changed since I was there in '87. :)

I wasn't aware of the refurbishment at Lavarack barracks. It wouldn't be the first time a large government organisation wasted money. I have my info from former and current servicemen who have a very keen interest in Army life. Darwin is getting a lot of focus for long term planning.

Just to point out that I am getting the info second hand :)

Punchy said:
I wasn't aware of the refurbishment at Lavarack barracks. Just to point out that I am getting the info second hand :)

Your first post then should be edited to show us all that you really don't have a clue. I have posted bar talk too but with a disclaimer.

Don't let your prejudices cloud you judgement. :)

Thommo

Thommo said:
Your first post then should be edited to show us all that you really don't have a clue. I have posted bar talk too but with a disclaimer.

Don't let your prejudices cloud you judgement. :)

Thommo

Done. Would have loved to had this chat in person :mad:

hmmm 18 years is a long time.

Based on a view that old, many areas people have done very well out of for property (and business) in the last ten years would have been considered dud investments.

Punchy, I suggest you update your information with a holiday in Townsville :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Do your own research before investing

Don't be misled by overly optimistic or pessimistic opinions on any investement and ignore knockers who can't support their statements.

Thommo

i took it to mean that if you were both sitting in a pub beer in hand the tone of things would probably be different

gee i wish i was sitting in a pub beer in hand :)

Thommo said:
Am I being overly sensitive here, or is a punchy trained killer threatening me with violence? :confused:

Thommo

I have the same problem. Bunbury has for a number of years been the bypass town which you passed on the way to Busselton or Margretriver.
10 years ago I would have agreed but now what a change.
I believe that the smart investers do there homework and talk to the locals.

Cheers :)

When there's rumours of big changes in the world of Defence it's probably best to :-

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

I was told recently one of the FA-18 Squadrons was moving to Charters Towers. :eek: :D :D :D

Sleeper said:
I was told recently one of the FA-18 Squadrons was moving to Charters Towers. :eek: :D :D :D
What rubbish!!! Everybody knows that the Singapore Air Force is moving there. Must be right too.... A real estate agent told me. LOL

Townsville vs Bunbury

Geographically - diametrically opposite to one another.
Both have floodways.
Both have $1m dollar oceanside properties.
Both have Higher Education facilities.
Both have mineral export/processing facilities.
Both towns/cities whatever your preference, have been 'passable' in years gone by.

Heck, both towns have 'unique' structures smack in the middle of the CBD with visual amenity issues- Townsville has the Sugar Shaker - Madmurf, you have a Milk Carton!

Both places seem to buck the house price crash

Cheers
J

Back