The great house price crash 2005

JP1746 said:
Simply put, just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it wont. In fact, with markets, the less people believe something will happen, the more it is likely to happen. And vica virsa, the more people believe something will happen, the less likely it is to happen. Think about it. Now, you are your own freeagent. Do what you will. We all win or lose by our decisions in this regard.

conversely just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it will. I disagree that the less people believe somehting will happen, the more it is likely to happen - sentiment is one of the largest influences on a market!

I think this point can be overanlaysed with debates of tulips and %'s in the 60's. With the Perth market being the cheapest in Australia, at the beginning of a resources boom, large population growth (Mandurah fastest growing region in Australia), 1000's of unfilled jobs, properties sittting below replacement etc etc, I think talk of 20% drops in housing prices is just putting your head in the sand. But hey each to their own, that's why there is a market!

Thommo said:
Peter, You seem to be suggesting that high inflation is more than a "possibility".

Should this occur and we get into 5%+ price inflation then interest rates will rise accordingly. But that is no big deal provided your investments are stress tested for high rates. The CG on your investments is permanent, the high int rates (we hope) are short term. It seems a paradox but the winners during high inflation/int rate periods are those with the highest managable debt. Mr & Mrs Smith will find the repayments on EMOHRUO suddenly become quite easy and that their equity, as a %, has boomed.

HI Thommo

I guess the fear is not inflation but the recession that follows. When people lose jobs as a result they dont have the money to pay the rents we would all like.

Having said that, IMO Australia is so much more linked to the world economy today and much more diversified in our investments and exports that we seem to be able to ride out the usual blips such as drought, oversupply, asian crisis.

SO following on this theory is that a blip ( like a stone thrown into a pond) causes less effect because the pond is larger ( world economy).

Here is Aust I dont think we really have an idea how the world percieves us? I would be interested in comment form ex pats on the forum who can give us the global view?

Are we seens as reliable, quality goods? or miners? food suppliers or a holiday destination? or all of the above?

Peter 147

In the past developers have been a trailing indicator....

They start building after a boom starts (hence property prices rise rather than remain flat due to sufficient demand)....They stop building after a 'bust' - and quite a few go bankrupt.

However the larger developers are becoming much better at stock management - like the diamond industry :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I don't think that we will see the number 5 in our inflation figures again.
Even 4% inflation is too high by today's standards.
The thing that worries me though is the indirect link of our interest rates to the US and the possible implications if the US economy suffers due to their excessive OS borrowings.
Btw we haven't heard from Pitt St for a while.
Is he around?
cheers

Ausprop said:
conversely just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it will. I disagree that the less people believe somehting will happen, the more it is likely to happen - sentiment is one of the largest influences on a market!

I think this point can be overanlaysed with debates of tulips and %'s in the 60's. With the Perth market being the cheapest in Australia, at the beginning of a resources boom, large population growth (Mandurah fastest growing region in Australia), 1000's of unfilled jobs, properties sittting below replacement etc etc, I think talk of 20% drops in housing prices is just putting your head in the sand. But hey each to their own, that's why there is a market!

"I disagree that the less people believe something will happen, the more it is likely to happen - sentiment is one of the largest influences on a market!"

Hi Ausprop;

Rather than get lost in semantics, allow me to cite the most obvious example, as personally experienced by me;

- Sydney market booms.

- Most of my friends, relatives in Sydney, buying second and third properties.

- You can't get a sentence out of them that doesn't include the phrase "it's gone up by" or "over a mil" (at this point, the first faint alarm bell starts ringing in my head, but no great sweat yet)

- Banks make it easy. Deposit on 2nd / 3rd property is by mortgage equity withdrawal from increased value of PPOR. Many big ticket consumables also funded this way.

- Bullish sentiment reigns supreme. Even respected commentators assert improbability, even impossibility, of a drop ... it's quiet different this time .... One or two of them sound words of caution, but they are steamrolled by the vast majority. (Bells now louder)

- Talk of a possible bust is considered heresy.

- Thus the vast majority of people now believe in the infallibility of a market and that a crash is impossible (bells very loud now).

And I say, (but not just I, I assure you) that it is exactly at that point where critical mass is reached, and the market starts to turn (heretics having sold by now, to exorcise those damn bells).

About your further comments; I didn't say that Perth will fall 20%. I made a hypothetical based on the implications contained in particular statement, merely to encourage lateral thinking.

Yes, debates about percentages are often trite, though from tulips, valuable lessons can be learnt on what you correctly said, i.e. "... sentiment is one of the largest influences on a market!"

Mundurah ? Don't know it. Though I do know Maitland (Newcastle NSW). Central to the massive coal fields and vineyards industries of the Hunter Valley, it too fits the description you attributed to Mundurah. I am almost certain that a year or two ago, it too was said to be the fastest growing region in Australia. (or was it NSW - can't recall right now). Anyhow, Landcom housing blocks went from average $50,000 just prior the boom, to average $170,000 at the height of the boom. They are now back down to around $120,000, with $10,000 - $15,000 rebates being offered for quick settlement - and about 50% remain unsold ! But as I said, this too was touted as the fastest growing region - and it certainly was ! So nothing new or special there I'm afraid - it's simply following the general property trend - albeit 2 - 3 months behind Sydney.

Anyhow, good luck with your Perth Investments. Perth is simply a wonderful city, (better than Sydney IMO) and I understand that in the long run, WA has great potential !

Regards,
JamesP

(When everyone is running, Walk ! When everyone is walking, Run ! - old Jewish proverb).

Keen said:
JP1746,

Simple isn't it ?
Unquote

Are you calling me stupid?

Thanks for that ! That's exactly what I've been doing. For the past couple of decades, I haven't had a 'day job'. I've just dealt in real estate !
Unquote

Evidence that you are of a higher intelligence?

I have better things to do than be provocated into a public brawl.

We agree to disagree on the future of the Perth market.

Keen

Hi Keen;

"Are you calling me stupid?" ... "Evidence that you are of a higher intelligence?"

Ha ! - You see Keen ? Your perception of such evidence, is in itself evidence that you are not entirely stupid !

"I have better things to do than be provocated into a public brawl"

Oh, bugger ! I do like to view a public spectacle now and then. Will you ay least consider riding a unicycle through the main street whilst juggling balls perhaps ?

"We agree to disagree on the future of the Perth market"

About the only thing I've said specific to the Perth / WA market, is that I know little about it. This must be obvious by now, even to a relatively stupid person. Thus, if you disagree with my views on the Perth / WA market,(remember now, slowly ... I know little about it) you must obviously believe I know a great deal about it. Man, this higher intelligence of mine is overwhelming !!!

Cheers
JamesP

(Nyuk Nyuk Kyuk - Nyuk)

Kennethkohsg said:
Dear JamesP,

1. Having underwent one full property cycle in the Goldcoast property market, like you, I have also "cashed out" on my 2 Goldcoast properties at the last market peak in August 2003 and I have opted instead, to stay re-invested in what was then deemd as a highly undervalued and less volatile Perth property market, having done my own market research and due diligence there in 2002/2003 period.

2. While I can agree with your views that in general, the median house price may fall heavily during this price correction phase with respect to the Sydney, Melbourne and even the Goldcoast property markets to a certain extent, honestly speaking, I do not see the same things happening in the Perth property market myself.

3. The reasons for my views is because I have observed that during the last boom in the Perth property market, the house price surge during the boom is not as high as those reported in the Sydney, Melbourne and Goldcoast property markets, hence I expect its fall in its median house price is a lot less than those reported in the other market, should one is reported this time round.

4. Personally, I do not think that there is going to be a fall in the median house price within the Perth property market as there are actually 2 x 5-years-long duration property cycles occuring with the Perth property market within a single 10 years period, much unlike the usual one major property cycle of 10 years duration reported in the other Australian property markets.

5. Furthermore, based on its past historical trends in the Perth property market, I have also observed, (as Keen has highlighted to you earlier) that the median house price will simply level off during its "Slump Phase" after acheiving its price peaks, in the past most of the time and then move to further increase in its next new 5-years property cycle uptrend again.

6. I cannot say nor prove to you convincingly at this point in time that you are totally wrong in your perception about the Perth property market;- only time will clearly show whether what you (or Keen and I) have said about the Perth property marke,t will evenutally materialise or not and only then we know for sure who is right and who is wrong about our own assessment on the Perth property market.

7. However, based on my present market research and personal assessment regarding the Perth property market, I beg to differ with your views, while agreeing with Keen's present views about the Perth property market.

8. As such, I will still continue to invest into the Perth property market with full confidence, being sure of my own market research work at this point in time.

9. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Kenneth;

Hi Keneth;

1) Smart work ! Good on you !

2) See 3

3) OK - and by that measure, you might also check out Darwin, as I understand it went up even less than Perth.

4) Your call.

5) Your call

6) Keneth - NOWHERE in this thread did I make a specific or substantial comment about the Perth / WA property market, except to say I knew very little about it ! See the title of this thread ... The great house price crash 2005 .... I was making general, even philosophical, comments in regards to that !

7) See 6, above

8) Good luck, and all the best

9) Thank you

JamesP

JP1746,

It seems you get great delight in stirring up forum members.

Yeh I have a response to your assumptions of the last post.

But I'm not going to bite :D

Keen

JP1746 said:
" (better than Sydney IMO) ).

This comment is uneeded JamesP. It's like saying that ice-cream is better than having boiling water poured down your pants, or it's better to breath room air than carbon monoxide.

The big problem is that people from NSW saw that QLD really is God's chosen land and are coming up here in droves.

Stay away, stay away :D

Nah come on up guys, it is great here. Just leave your sky blue jerseys at the border. Thanks :p

JP1746,

Thats right, my last point

"6) Keneth - NOWHERE in this thread did I make a specific or substantial comment about the Perth / WA property market, except to say I knew very little about it !"

Odaat - "Will not be buying in the Perth area until the median house price for a 4x2 comes in at 195K from its current 250K +"

In response to Odaats' statement about the Perth Market " Just because there is an extremely unlikely chance that the market could defy history and fall by 22% doesn't mean I don't ever invest in it. Should Odaat ever invest? Should he wait for a historically unlikely 22% drop? Is there a better chance of a 22% drop than anything else?"

JP1746 - "Yep - we judge by it's likelyhood. You say 'extremely unlikely', (this is my statement on the Perth Market) therefore you will invest now. I say 'quite possible', ..."

If you think I'm wrong then you certainly didn't make yourself clear not only to me but also the other posts that question your "I say 'quite possible'" which lead to others disagreeing with you.

Keen

Keen said:
JP1746,

Thats right, my last point

"6) Keneth - NOWHERE in this thread did I make a specific or substantial comment about the Perth / WA property market, except to say I knew very little about it !"

Odaat - "Will not be buying in the Perth area until the median house price for a 4x2 comes in at 195K from its current 250K +"

In response to Odaats' statement about the Perth Market " Just because there is an extremely unlikely chance that the market could defy history and fall by 22% doesn't mean I don't ever invest in it. Should Odaat ever invest? Should he wait for a historically unlikely 22% drop? Is there a better chance of a 22% drop than anything else?"

JP1746 - "Yep - we judge by it's likelyhood. You say 'extremely unlikely', (this is my statement on the Perth Market) therefore you will invest now. I say 'quite possible', ..."

If you think I'm wrong then you certainly didn't make yourself clear not only to me but also the other posts that question your "I say 'quite possible'" which lead to others disagreeing with you.

Keen

Keen, my dear fellow - I'd like to go to bed with a clear conscience, so I absolve you of all fault, error or malice, and will assume all sin on my part.

Have a good night, and it's going to be a wonderful brand new day tommorrow, full of joy and promise !!!

JamesP

Punchy said:
This comment is uneeded JamesP. It's like saying that ice-cream is better than having boiling water poured down your pants, or it's better to breath room air than carbon monoxide.

The big problem is that people from NSW saw that QLD really is God's chosen land and are coming up here in droves.

Nah come on up guys, it is great here. Just leave your sky blue jerseys at the border. Thanks :p

Punchy ... ummm, I agree (I think)

Good night
JamesP

Ausprop said:
SO - back to the great crash in the UK.....

A Perth based real estate agent introduced me to a private client selling a 3 bed villa in South Perth with river views.

Rental $400 p.w. / asking price 399K.

325K - 19% BMV offer made - they are thinking it over and will give me an answer in the next few days.

Property prices are no longer rising in Perth, will only cool further as rate rises bite.

I have no intention of buying as I believe prices will cool even further - happy to pass on details if anyone is interested.

Punchy said:

Punchy
Do I sense a bit of Jealousy here??
Not so long ago Sydney was voted as the best city in the world. :D
God's chosen land soon is definitely not QLD,
More than one region in our beautyful country can claim the title.
There are positive and negative points with every state.
people choose to live in a region for a number of reasons.
I believe that NSW has a much better climate than QLD
and better education and employment prospects.
But we are all different.
If you ask my wife she will say that Tasmania's climate is the best.
Do you feel happy that investors from the southern states
bought property in QLD?
You shouldn't. Watch what will happen to QLD property prices
when they realise that they are in for large price corrections and they sell.
My advise? sell before its too late.
cheers,

No not jealousy. Was tired and saw an opportunity to take a few cheap shots :)

My fiance is a Kiwi, my old man is a Tassie, my future in-laws are Welsh and English and my sister in law is South African. When we all get together and start talking sport you'd better have thick skin ;) The one thing we all agree on though is State of Origin.

Seriously though South East Qld is undergoing some serious growing pains from interstate migration. Within the space of two weeks 15 minutes was added to my travel time to work. It happened overnight (and I noted a lot of NSW plates!).

Anyhow I welcome the opportunity for growth. Should that large price correction come I will welcome it. To prove that I am a real hypocrite..... am planning on moving to NZ or Tassie in the next couple of years for the less stressful life :)

odaat said:
A Perth based real estate agent introduced me to a private client selling a 3 bed villa in South Perth with river views.

Rental $400 p.w. / asking price 399K.

325K - 19% BMV offer made - they are thinking it over and will give me an answer in the next few days.

Property prices are no longer rising in Perth, will only cool further as rate rises bite.

I have no intention of buying as I believe prices will cool even further - happy to pass on details if anyone is interested.

something fishy about that one- why would anyone sell so under market? the market is healthy and properties selling reasonably quickly, so why throw away $75k? did you make the offer Odaat? just wondering why you make an offer if you aren't inetersted in buying? Could you please send me the details? maybe we could analyse it under the Buyer Beware forum.... I can pull up some sales eveidence around it.

our sales volumes are picking up strongly and we are struggling to keep our stock prices under the $250k mark - I wish prices would slow down a little but I fear the new price point will soon be $300k.

Back