The Howard Years ABC1- 8.30pm 17 Nov

Hi all,

Just thought I would remind you The Howard Years starts tonight.

I am looking forward to it. I'm a big Johnny fan!:)

The Howard Years - Commander-in-Chief
8:30pm Monday, 01 Dec 2008
News CC Website
In a bizarre twist of fate, Australia's Prime Minister would find himself in Washington DC on the day the world changed forever - September 11, 2001. Now watch that day unfold through John Howard's eyes. Those close to him tell how the experience changed him, resulting in Australia becoming an early conscript for the 'war on terror'. Encompassing both the 2001 and 2004 elections, episode three of The Howard Years shows the Prime Minister at the height of his powers.

Returning home straight into an election campaign dominated by national security and border protection, John Howard survived the 'children overboard' controversy and was swept back into office. During a term dominated by the Iraq war, the shock and horror of the Bali Bombing only hardens the Prime Minister's resolve not to give-in to terrorists.

In candid interviews, President George W. Bush talks about his friendship with John Howard, and former British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, discusses his unusual alliance with John Howard over Iraq. John Howard admits that he knew if things went badly in Iraq it would have been the end of his political career.

Domestically, leadership tensions with Peter Costello come to a head around John Howard's 64th birthday. Having decided to fight another election, he's initially wrong footed by the emergence of a new young Labor challenger, Mark Latham. But using his 30 years' experience in politics, John Howard gives us a unique insight into how he exploited Latham's weaknesses to win a record fourth term.

The definitive television record of John Howard's time in office, The Howard Years goes behind the scenes to present the inside story of his time in office.

Regards Jo

Snow job?

Gerard Henderson (Howard's political advisor in the 80's) mentioned yesterday on Sunday Agenda (Sky News), that he thought this would be a snow job. He had seen the first 2 episodes and were not particularly flattering.

I think he mentioned that Fran Kelly is putting the program together (Radio National Breakfast Host). She isn't his biggest fan (Understatement, much!)

yeah they were talking it up on Sunrise this morning (god i want that hour back) and one of the daft commentators likened his Prime Ministry to "someone holding on to power like someone holding onto a live power line - he just couldnt let go, with Costello too scared to whack him off with the 4x2".

Yes, really looking forward to it, am a labor person but always interested in politics and the people.

I am sure John Howard would have walked into the doc with eyes wide open and it will be likely, fairly candid stuff...but don't feel bad for your hero Jo, his legacy speaks for itself, while I obviously don't, and have not agreed with all liberal actions/thoughts/policies he always had my respect, always will.

There will always be documentaries and tell all books, and all that, don't let it rock your internal compass too much.

Plus, contrasting opinions/reviewing and discussion, if done constructively and played fair on a humane level get us thinking, that's generally productive.

Enjoy!

I thought it was a great reflection of his first few years in power. It reminded me that he actually did things (guns, waterfront, GST, etc) that may not have been popular, but he believed in them. To me it hi-lighted that K-Rudd is just talking (spin) and not actually doing anything. Don't get me started on Swan.

For me it is a pity that more of the community is not interested in watching things like this on TV.

Flat.??

Why wouldn't you be flat?

Imagine taking over the priminister-ship right at the top of the bubble, and knowing there's very little that can be done. I'd be flat too.

Mining royalties will dry up so there goes your money tree.

He's burning through the surplus at a great rate,

And he probably realises by now that Australia going it alone on emissions trading will completely destroy our export industries and thus the economy.

Johnnie Howard must be laughing his head off.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Was interesting that Johnny was flat also after 2 years, but then suddenly got the adrenalin going. Funny also to look back and see he was as good as gone after 1 term in office.

That issue with the docks was massive, but Im sure Australias much better off because of it now.

It was a good show with all the different versions of events from the individual pollies.

Last edited:
Also tuned in, enjoyed it, kinda like being privvy to the machinations of a political party, behind the scenes and all that.

Team John Howard.

Thing is, also, it isn't that long ago, so (well, for me anyway), still relatively fresh in the mind...

Music is a little weird. Would like to rewrite the music score.

Love it. Really hits home to what the poor buggars go through, policy, decisions, responses...trying, (in their minds), to do the right thing, the stresses they are under, the personality differences, how they try to reconcile that, the general Australian public!

Amazing to see all this, any wonder John Howard was so enthused to be on board, (he had seen the prior labor doc and thought it pretty good).

I had no intention of watching it as my hubby hates anything political. He was tired and went to bed early so I got to see it.

Very impressed!

Well done Aunty.

I thought it was a great reflection of his first few years in power. It reminded me that he actually did things (guns, waterfront, GST, etc) that may not have been popular, but he believed in them. To me it hi-lighted that K-Rudd is just talking (spin) and not actually doing anything. Don't get me started on Swan.

For me it is a pity that more of the community is not interested in watching things like this on TV.
Put in a request. What is it you would like him to do?

Yes, really looking forward to it, am a labor person but always interested in politics and the people.

I am sure John Howard would have walked into the doc with eyes wide open and it will be likely, fairly candid stuff...but don't feel bad for your hero Jo, his legacy speaks for itself, while I obviously don't, and have not agreed with all liberal actions/thoughts/policies he always had my respect, always will.

There will always be documentaries and tell all books, and all that, don't let it rock your internal compass too much.

Plus, contrasting opinions/reviewing and discussion, if done constructively and played fair on a humane level get us thinking, that's generally productive.

Enjoy!

OO, do you think it showed John Howard in a bad light?

I was impressed with it. I had forgotten about the Union waterfront issue. that was huge. What a damn gutsy thing to do. I have always said Johnny has had more ba#$% than Rudd will ever have.

Certainly GST was a huge issue. I never really believed than Johnny took that on by himself, but it seems he did. Pretty tough. Still not sure about GST........Don't like having it added onto Realestate Agent's commission.....:eek:

When it finished I couldn't believe the hour had gone so quickly. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

Regards JO

You said it Mike. He was an Action Man. Poor ole Kevin thinks "watching" fuel or "watching " groceries, is the same thing. I guess they are both verbs.

Regards Jo

Again, what is it that you want him to do? He's ratified kyoto, offered an apology to the aboriginal people, announced changes to the recognition of same sex couples, pulled some of our troops out of Iraq, outlawed new AWA's for workers, trialled initiatives to curb binge drinking, oh and you might have noticed but there's been this little financial crisis thingy going on that he's being dealt with.

Put in a request. What is it you would like him to do?

For one thing - how can you have a 'complete' review of the tax system, without including the GST?:confused: Raise it to 15%, include food, health, everything - the wider the base the better. Other taxes can then be cut, such as income tax, state stamp duties etc. If some poeple need conensation, then give it to them - most won't need it as other taxes wold be cut. Simpler for everyone.

Many other things that can be done. Most PM's are too scared to make hard decisions.

Again, what is it that you want him to do? He's ratified kyoto, offered an apology to the aboriginal people, announced changes to the recognition of same sex couples, pulled some of our troops out of Iraq, outlawed new AWA's for workers, trialled initiatives to curb binge drinking,

What has any of this actually done - all talk and spin. Kyoto means nothing to AUS when China is polluting as much as it is. Apology - all talk, won't change anything. Iraq - a couple of hundred troops, wow. Binge drinking - tax on RTD's, kids have just switched to mixed spirits (more dangerous IMHO than RTD'd) or goon bags. AWA is probabbly the biggest thing, but most of this wont take any effect for years and I'm not sure that is was so bad anyway.

All just IMHO - did you guess I am a lib voter:D:eek:

I don't watch a lot of TV,but i made the time to watch the The Howard Years ,one of the best programs i have watched in a while
and i will be watching the next time it's on,Mr Howard would be thinking how lucky he was,now that Jet-Set-Big-Kev's is in the hot seat and out saving the modern world,pity he does not have the same mindset as Mr Howard,it's anyone guess what will happen when the money pot runs dry,and the plane is empty with bald tyres and a blown motor..
..willair..

Back