The iPhone Thread

I know there are a few of you out there now using the iPhone, so I thought I would start a dedicated thread so we can share info and ask questions. I posted in another thread about a great free Ringtone site where you can send the ringtone straight to your iTunes. That was at www.audiko.net and it was really easy to use.

Also Geoff gave us the good oil on how to get photos off your Camera Roll and onto your computer by plugging in the computer lead and transferring them through Windows Viewer.

Anyway I want to get a Bluetooth device for the phone. I have one already but that does not appear to be working well, bit hit and miss. I was told by a young fella at Hardly Normal today that you can't just huy any Bluetooth device for the iPhone as only some are compatible. He then told me to look up the Apple website (very helpful wasn't he). Anyway I did but I really dislike using the Apple website as it is soooo slow loading and I lose my patience.

So I thought I would ask what Bluetooth devices you guys might be using with your iPhones. I am just talking about the little thing you stick in your ear, not the whole car kit bizzo.

Thanks!!

How about this one. You can wear it as a ring and it folds out to
wear as a head set. It supposedly works with an Iphone.
A Deluxe edition also features a Flexible Organic Light Emitting Device (FOLED) screen to display caller ID, calendar reminders, and voice-to-text information for communication without taking the ring off the finger.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-orb-bluetooth-headset/12313/

Attachments

• 12313_23070942439.jpg
    12313_23070942439.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 62
I'd heard the iPhone was expensive as it was continually downloading updates (yet to speak to a user though), would appreciate any feedback on this

I have had mine for just over a month and it is not expensive.
the phone doesn't download the updates and there has only been one
in the time I have had mine. Itunes does all of the downloading to
the computer and does the updates when you connect the phone to
itunes and sync the phone.

The idea is when you sync the phone all of the new notes, calander entries, photos and contacts etc sync with their related apps on the computer.

If you have wireless at home iphone does all of it's network activity over the wireless link. It only uses the phones 3g network when there is no wireless network.

How about this one. You can wear it as a ring and it folds out to
wear as a head set. It supposedly works with an Iphone.
A Deluxe edition also features a Flexible Organic Light Emitting Device (FOLED) screen to display caller ID, calendar reminders, and voice-to-text information for communication without taking the ring off the finger.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-orb-bluetooth-headset/12313/

Wow that would be so handy, always losing my bluetooth. One other thing that annoys with them is that they connect when you don't want them to and you answer your phone, then have to hunt around in you bag for the bluetooth. Be glad when I get one that doesn't do that!!

I'd heard the iPhone was expensive as it was continually downloading updates (yet to speak to a user though), would appreciate any feedback on this

Had my iPhone for about 6 months now and only one update in that time which I did through iTunes as MB mentioned.

Wouldn't say it's expensive but I guess it depends how much call volume you use. Mine is free on a $79 plan, but I think you can go as low as $30 (?) if you pay a few bucks per month for the handset.

Brilliant device though!

I use this one with the iphone and it works a treat

http://www.blueant.com.au/z9i_headset.htm

thanks Super Sam we were looking at the blueant today, apparantly they are very popular. Just a question (if anyone knows). When I used my current bluetooth with my old Nokia I was able to answer with the phone, but with the iPhone if I do that the bluetooth doesn't work (it doesn't disconnect, the call just comes to the phone only).

Is this a feature with iPhones. Super Sam can you use your blueant and answer with the phone and not the bluetooth if you wish to??

One other thing I am curious about but haven't called Telstra yet cause I haven't got 4 hours to wait in a queue, but when you go onto the internet how do you know when you are on and then not on the internet??

eg. I go on to Safari (the internet) and look at news.com and the little circle swirls around and I read the headlines. Then I go into an individual story and the little circle swirls around again. I then read that story and then just press the bottom button of the phone to go back to my iphone home page to make a call or something. Am I then off the internet for sure. It just feels weird and I wonder if the internet is not still doing something in the background and still dowloading or something.:eek:

Well, I am stuck with an iphone that does everything except let me hear conversations. I took it into Optus today and they said it was faulty and would be replaced. Except - it is 12 months and 12 days old - 12 days past the 12 months warranty. Our Office of Consumer and Business Affairs say that the phone has to last the length of the contract but the Optus shops say that we have to go through OCBA and fight it out with Optus. Not sure I am ready for the battle so will use the speaker phone on a low setting. It's not like there is a hurry to fix it now....

Petal, I think you will find that if you are on wireless when you answer a phone call, than that setting stays on, but I have noticed as soon as I open up a new safari page, the other page doesnt load anymore until I return to it.

When I use Safari to check SS or ebay when not at home, I just make sure I log out, and then click the main button on the screen to get back to the main menu.

When the phone is on 3G the icon at the top left of the screen is a 3g icon while on wireless it is 4 curved lines in the shape of a 1/4 of a circle. When the phone is downloading something there is a circle icon that chases itself next to the icon depicting which network the phone is on.

but when you go onto the internet how do you know when you are on and then not on the internet??

eg. I go on to Safari (the internet) and look at news.com and the little circle swirls around and I read the headlines. Then I go into an individual story and the little circle swirls around again. I then read that story and then just press the bottom button of the phone to go back to my iphon

that will take you off the net.

the iphone is a one trick wonder in that regard - which is a good thing. it can only have one application open at a time. when you hit the home button or a new "application" opens automatically like an incoming call etc. the last app will be shut down.

the issue redwing refers to is where the phone constantly checks email and the app store for msgs and updates etc. However this can all be disabled in the settings application or at least set to manual so it only checks when you choose.

I have had mine for 18months or so - virgin 70 plan with a 1gig data limit and 600 odd dollars in call - free virgin to virgin calls and txt etc.

Love it - the only problem i see is having big hands like mine a touch screen can be a bit problematic, especially typing a txt or email whilst walking - you can't "feel"the buttons you are looking for.

and MMS function is intermittent - other than that - brilliant!!!

My suggestion would be to go with telstra if you can afford it - the next G network is FAR superior to any of the others - i recently went from brisbane to Bundaberg with a friend who has a telstra Iphone. Mine was cactus when we passed the sunshine coast and barely had calls only for most of the rest of the trip. he had full speed data coverage for 99% of the time - even at Agnes Water of all places - and when mine did work with data, his was twice as quick!!

all good but - great phone...just pick your network carefully!!

Yes and it really is so much more than just a phone. Love browsing in the apps store for something I can't live without :D

heavy, bulky, EXPENSIVE and according to the reviews i just read - buggy. also only available on telstra...at least initially

nah - i'll stick to the iphone - it doesn't have the very best of everything, but what it does it does very well and across the board nothing touches it just yet.

the android based phones from google (which are HTC's) will be interesting when they fix their issues, but for the moment...

IPHONE IS KING!! mwahahahahahaha...:p

It's a brilliant device, the fact that it's a phone is a bonus (it's just a functional thing for me, I don't spend time on the phone for enjoyment). The most important feature is the variety of applications, though I'm sure other phones will develop this market place if they haven't already.

I was debating about the Google Android but ended up going with the iPhone because of; the app store, more slim line, no slide face, less parts to stuff up (ie. the keyboard on the Android), like the idea of touch screen which doesn't require forceful key pressing - just a light tap.

The touch keypad did take some getting used to for emails/sms, but you do get the hang of it, plus the spelling corrector picks up most of the mistakes without having to go back and correct.

thanks Super Sam we were looking at the blueant today, apparantly they are very popular. Just a question (if anyone knows). When I used my current bluetooth with my old Nokia I was able to answer with the phone, but with the iPhone if I do that the bluetooth doesn't work (it doesn't disconnect, the call just comes to the phone only).

Is this a feature with iPhones. Super Sam can you use your blueant and answer with the phone and not the bluetooth if you wish to??

I think so, but not sure why you would do it that way and not just press the button on the bluetooth device in your ear?

mainly hubby he has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century and he was used to just doing it via his phone and it is hard enough teaching him to use the iphone (although i must say he has been happy so far) that i didn't want too much new stuff to throw at him, hence my question.

I had a play today with putting all my photos on my iphone (about 10,000). I have them all in folders for separate events but when i synced, the iphone didn't show them in separate folders just one big blob of photos so that is no good. From what i understand if i use a particular apple photo program i can see them differently. trouble is i use windows!! I will have to do some more research!!

Back