The Olympics - anyone else excited??

Is anyone else looking forward to the Olympics starting?

I generally dont watch sport on TV at all, but get really excited by the Olympics - I love it! I think part of it is I get drawn into watching sports that generally arn't shown on TV, like gymnastics, shooting etc, and the drama of it all - the make or break atmosphere. I also get quite patriotic - love to see the Aussies win, and also love to see winners from the underdog or poorly developed countries. :)

I'm not really interested in the whole opening ceremony thing - although would love to actually be there - would be a great show I'm sure.

It will be an interesting Olympics this year in China - lots of controversy I'm sure.

What do you think of the Olympics?

Cheers, Nadia

I am really looking forward to them. I also love watching the swimming, shooting, weight-lifting, cycling, track and field, gymnastics (I used to be one, so this holds a special place for me), pretty much anything other than hockey.

I plan to get comfy and enjoy.

Oh God I am so unexcited by the Olympics. I really am dreading turning on the TV because it will be on every channel all the time. It's going to cost me a fortune in DVDs to get through the next week.

I don't know why though, I watched every minute of the Sydney olympics and loved it but this time around I am really anti-olympics.

They should just televise the drug testing instead as it will be more interesting I reckon.

I worked as a volunteer in the athlete's village at the Sydney Olympics in the medical clinic. It was a pretty cool setup there with everything you need being freely available. There were mobile coffee outlets on street corners. Buses that did loops of the village to take you around to the games arcade. A McDonalds in the food hall that operates the same as any other, except it has no front counter... just walk up and help yourself. Surprisingly, it was very popular with the althletes.

The doctors, dentists and optometrists were very popular, with long queues to see them. They are open to team managers and officials too, so these guys come for their 4 yearly check up (particularly from developing nations). They also want free glasses and to cope with the demand, the clinics ran well into the night.

We had the interpreters located next to the clinic, which was a great help. Across the road was radiology (x-ray, ultrasound, CT and MRI) and before that was physio. It made the job run quite smoothly having all services centrally located.

The buildings have now turned into a primary school.

would be great if they ran a 24 hour live time Big Brother so that those that want to escape the olympics have something of higher entertainment value to watch. if they must bash sport they could throw ben cousins or one of the pulled out olympians in as an intruder.

Am loving it! The pool is empty, there's not nearly as many runners on the pavement, and getting into the physio is easy (they left a couple behind)!

Went swimming at lunch the other day and had the full 50mtr pool to myself (old one - public not allowed in the new one) and don't think there was even anyone in the 25m.

As for TV - great to get the bike on the windtrainer (goes on the back wheel to make it stationary) and watch the interesting events, if not good excuse to go for a mountain bike ride.

No not interested in Olympics, I dislike the hype and pressure the media puts on athletics.

Will probably watch some of the opening ceremony.

Regards
Sheryn

I'm in the "bah! humbug!" camp and only half watch the opening/closing ceremonies (still remember the massed pianos in LA and the Tap Dogs in SYD) but just can't ignore the sport, once it starts. :D The road race and track cycling are great!!!

Yes! C'mon Aussie!

I love the Olympics. However most of the sports are like are team sports that take a few hours to play; basketball, hockey, etc. Watching these during Olympics can be very frustrating as normally they leave the action at its most interesting point (say end of 3rd quarter) and sometimes dont return until th game is over because they just HAD to cross to the sync diving (what the?).

Still, with the internet I will be able to get my fill of extended highlights and am looking forward to it all!!!

08 08 08 - is that just a typo for oi oi oi?

Usually most major sports have my interest. However, have never really been excited about the Olympics being in Beijing. Maybe that will change after Friday.

would be great if they ran a 24 hour live time Big Brother so that those that want to escape the olympics have something of higher entertainment value to watch. if they must bash sport they could throw ben cousins or one of the pulled out olympians in as an intruder.

Now I really am rolling around on the floor laughing my head off.

The worst day of telecast of the Olympics - including the 20,000 "Olympic theme" ads we will no doubt have to suffer - beats every single day of the entire brain-numbing BB franchise.

I am embarrassed as a human that so many people watched that crap for so many years.

My achievement; never watched more than 2 mins of it. Those 2 mins were because of the the ads for the dumb show that I had to accidentally see while waiting for the normal program to return.

I'm looking forward to it.

I like big event.

I'll have a TV in the office.

Not many days now for me to become an expert in a huge number of sports.

Scott

boring...

If it wasn't in China, and likely to be one big drugs fiasco, then I might have more interest. But as it is, I'll be avoiding it like the plague.

It would be like pulling my fingernails out slowly whilst simultaneously being subjected to Chinese water torture.

At least I'll still be able to catch great shows like Top Gear on the SBS whilst the rest of the world is tied up watching drug cheats jump higher, run/swim faster, throw further... or dance upside down in water prettier. ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Is there anything more boring that the Olympics?
It's never been about sport and never been about the original Olympics (I'm glad).
Just a money making exercise for the IOC and the athletes.
The main competition is who can use performance enhancers without getting caught.
I find it odd if the scrooge's here that find a plasma tv a waste of money endorse this garbage.
What a total waste of money.

I have to say that whilst I am looking forward to much of the sport (and I NEVER watch sport usually) I will avoid the opening ceremony as I hate the big production stuff..... does nothing for me.

boring...

At least I'll still be able to catch great shows like Top Gear on the SBS whilst the rest of the world is tied up watching drug cheats jump higher, run/swim faster, throw further... or dance upside down in water prettier. ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Micheal, unfortunately Top Gear isn't on during the Olympics. Doh! We are entering the Olympics dead zone with the other channels showing repeats and holding back their decent shows for the next 2 or 3 weeks.....

Micheal, unfortunately Top Gear isn't on during the Olympics. Doh! We are entering the Olympics dead zone with the other channels showing repeats and holding back their decent shows for the next 2 or 3 weeks.....
double doh!!

I didn't even think of that risk. I figured all channels other than 7 would run their regular schedule. What a pain in the ***! Ah well, there's always DVDs I suppose... :(

Cheers,
Michael

Back