The Olympics - anyone else excited??

I watched the whole opening ceremony last night and really enjoyed it. I have to say, near the end, when they hoisted the torch bearer up to light the cauldron, for a moment there I thought his torch had gone out :eek:. I'm sure they would have had a Plan B though in case something like that happened.

What I was interested to see was how much of their imperial history they'd include in the ceremony, given their current state of communism. I thought they avoided the issue pretty well though by mainly concentrating on their famous inventions. Those LCD screens they used were amazing, and the way they kept that piece of "paper" threaded through the performances was really well done. Loved the moveable type performance as well.

I think it's Zhang Yimou's greatest achievement, he's just brilliant.
And that's saying something, as he's done some excellent movies. All up I think they should be proud of the way that opening ceremony went.

With regard to the games themselves, while I'm a sporty sort of person, and have played a lot of sport over the years, I'm not normally real big on watching it, and will likely only watch a few things like gymnastics and maybe a bit of judo and boxing (all of which I've done a little of in my time, although none as a main sport - my main sports have been squash, tennis, and rockclimbing). Swimming in particular bores me to tears.

GP

What kind of a joke is that! They restrict others from showing it online, but only show a few minutes of it themselves.............

The so called 'spirit of the olympics' certainly seems rather limited!

Last edited:
It's nothing special for me. Life will just tick on. I can see the negative respondants POV and also feel the excited folks glee.

Can you criticise the Olympics and at the same time condone competition sport in general??
I don't care really.
Apart from development of physical fitness and skill what else is sport good for? Ego inflation? Maybe earning money for a select few? (only because people pay to watch them). Achievement? Stimulation?

Is it really a productive activity that goes to the benefit of the country?

I heard Coates ask for a lot more tax payer funding the other day so that Aus can stay in the top 10 on the medal list.

The way that this country is falling deeper into debt I think that Aussies will soon have to forego a lot of these leisurely pursuits and start becoming more productive again. Sorry for drifting off track. :)

Actually the medal tally really annoys me. I couldn't give a rats about which country wins the most medals, and the constant tally score is just irritating.

Is it really a productive activity that goes to the benefit of the country?

Well, I guess if you applied that logic, then we should get rid of State Orchestras, Government funded Art Galleries, the ABC, any state funded leisure activities. And our buildings should be utilitarian and not attractive; lets get rid of the Botannical Gardens, public swimming pools, fountains, well, the list could go on...

Actually, where did you get the idea that Australia is falling deeper into debt? It isn't!

Life is about far more than being 'productive'.

Apart from development of physical fitness and skill what else is sport good for?
This rather reminds me of the old "what have the Romans ever done for us?" sketch.

Other than physical fitness, skill, coordination, reflexes, focus, drive, endurance (mental as well as physical), self-motivation, self-achievement, strategic planning and analysis, stress relief, teamwork, social networking, and entertainment (for those who like to watch), nothing much I guess...

GP

Well, I guess if you applied that logic, then we should get rid of State Orchestras, Government funded Art Galleries, the ABC, any state funded leisure activities. And our buildings should be utilitarian and not attractive; lets get rid of the Botannical Gardens, public swimming pools, fountains, well, the list could go on...

Actually, where did you get the idea that Australia is falling deeper into debt? It isn't!

Good response. Just posing a question. I'm not against leisure. I just worry that people may be getting too addicted to the leisurely lifestyle and slacken off with the work ethic that benefits themselves and country.
The debt thing was from Bill Zhengs latest seminar.

This rather reminds me of the old "what have the Romans ever done for us?" sketch.

Other than physical fitness, skill, coordination, reflexes, focus, drive, endurance (mental as well as physical), self-motivation, self-achievement, strategic planning and analysis, stress relief, teamwork, social networking, and entertainment (for those who like to watch), nothing much I guess...

GP

Well said GP. Yet most of these can be achieved outside of sport. Maybe I should have said "competitive sport" which relates more to the topic of this thread. :)

Swimming not as exciting... daytime finals

it has been great to see trickett and rice win but this olympics in the pool just hasnt had that atmosphere and excitement from past olympics because of the fact that the finals are in the morning. i think the ioc made a big mistake. i wander how others feel.

i can remember staying up late at night watching the swimming finals in athens and i was jumping around like crazy screaming so much so that one lady in the complex was worried cos she thought someone was being attacked. oh well money always wins doesnt it!! :mad:

There is a difference between sport & competition with millions of $$ at stake.
The Olympics is not about sport, but financial gain.
And yes Kim, money always wins. The more you spend, the more medals you win.

wow OLYMPICS 2008 has started..it was the most amazing opening ceremony i have seen for years..Chinese people really did their jobs!! superb!:D

There is a difference between sport & competition with millions of $$ at stake.
The Olympics is not about sport, but financial gain.
And yes Kim, money always wins. The more you spend, the more medals you win.

Which sport these days doesn't involve money? Other than school sports (and even that needs a lot of money) I can't actually think of anything. Well, anything worth watching anyway.

Actually the medal tally really annoys me. I couldn't give a rats about which country wins the most medals, and the constant tally score is just irritating.

same here Wylie. I much prefer the best person wins on the day, wherever they are from, and the other competitors congratulate them, with a warm handshake. Doesn't seem to happen much these days though. There's all this self absorption and bad sportsmanship instead. I have a lot to do with elite athletes and I honestly can say I don't enjoy socializing with them because they are so egocentric and out of balance.

I remember when Aussies used to bag the AMercians for being ugly and loud and itsallaboutme. Many Aussies need to have a damned good look at themselves cos they are worse now.....and the rot is from top to bottom. John Coates and Kevin Gosper have come out with some real embarrassing self important rubbish recently. And then the media never know when enough is enough in beating up the sporting 'heroes' narrative.

Finally, some of tele commentary has been terrible. The guy calling the cycling road races alongside Phil Liggett was a deadhead, and they both delivered a paucity of info....few updates on the breakaway splits, few background of riders....really poor effort I thought after the outstanding Tour De France coverage.

Back