The Property Downturn- by Kochie

http://kochie.com.au/20110508372/the-property-downturn

Snippets:

There are a number of factors working against a recovery in residential property values;

. banks continue their tight lending policies which is demanding higher deposits and lower repayment to income ratios.

. clearance rates remain low which means there is a continuing build up in stock. The time it takes to sell a property has lengthened considerably which means, for example, property which didn’t sell last Spring is more than likely hanging around this autumn.

. sellers of old stock get desperate and slash their prices which then put downward pressure on the value of new stock coming on the market.

. the dramatic fall in skilled migration numbers means there is a drop in potential new buyers.

. expat Australians who were buying up big when the Australian dollar was weak are now selling up big time to cash in on the higher dollar. They then take the money back to where they live now because it goes a lot further.

. the two-speed economy means there are significant parts of the economy doing it tough and putting people and business under financial stress.

This last point is probably the most significant. Last week the Reserve Bank commented that the Australian economy could have contracted in the March quarter while ANZ boss Mike Smith said the level of financial hardship in parts of the economy was not being recognised seriously enough.

Property is being caught in a serious pincer movement from a number of factors. Three years ago we were cautious… and we still are.

http://kochie.com.au/20110508372/the-property-downturn
. expat Australians who were buying up big when the Australian dollar was weak are now selling up big time to cash in on the higher dollar. They then take the money back to where they live now because it goes a lot further.

assumes that (a) they have equity and (b) they think the cross rate has maxxed out. Todays headline is screaming $1.70 so anyone that cashed otu at $1.00 may be sorry. and presumably an expat would buy here because they have a plan to move into it, not as some sort of speculation that got lucky

Are those ones in "Kochies Best Jokes - Bumper Edition" ?

If I was relying on Kochie for my investment decisions I wouldn't be buying property either.

being on the coal face, i don't disagree with kochie ... not that i would use him as my financial advisor.

the points he makes are valid and worthy of reflection. one may decide that they are not relevant to you at this point in time - but they are pretty spot on.

one may decide that they are not relevant to you at this point in time

I believe the key words for these type of comments are "point in time". For speculators, the point in time of entry and exit are crucial. However, for investors it may not be as important. I'd like to compare today's resi property prices to those in 2021, 2031, 2041 and 2051. After that I don't think I can :mad:

I generally agree with Kochie, except about the build up of stock - developers are subject to tight finance every bit as much as residential buyers, and a lot of building projects have been shelved. 3 years ago developers were selling maybe 20% of units off the plan and the rest upon completion. It was not uncommon for builders to be halfway through construction and have random buyers pull up in their cars asking to sign a contract.

These days you need to sell enough off the plan to cover the entire construction plus 10% or so contingency, hence a LOT of projects being shelved or cancelled entirely. Plus, a lot of sellers are reluctant to put their property on the market at the moment at all, with the usual "it's a bad time to sell" mindset.

So imo, there isn't really a build up of stock, but rather, greatly increased clearance periods.

I don't mind the whole thing personally. My competitors are freaking out because they're leveraged to the hilt, which means that their build prices are becoming strangely inexpensive because the head honcho is actually on the tools before he loses his house :D

Defintiely between a rock and a hard place the developers who have embarked on a project after pre selling 20% or even 50% and then find they have to discount to clear the last 50% only to find the first 50% have to pull out due to no finance on their revalued property.

Of course the pre sale buyers lose their deposit and get sued but this does not necessarily end well for the developer either way.

What do you do though, keep the price up to try to enable the first 50% to get finance and then die a slow death from lack of cashflow or do you discount and sell them and hope you can extract enough from the presales to survive. Don't know what the answer is?

Defintiely between a rock and a hard place the developers who have embarked on a project after pre selling 20% or even 50% and then find they have to discount to clear the last 50% only to find the first 50% have to pull out due to no finance on their revalued property.

Of course the pre sale buyers lose their deposit and get sued but this does not necessarily end well for the developer either way.

What do you do though, keep the price up to try to enable the first 50% to get finance and then die a slow death from lack of cashflow or do you discount and sell them and hope you can extract enough from the presales to survive. Don't know what the answer is?

By the behaviour of some developers around town I can answer that for you. It's called "paying your lawyer a small amount of money to help you not pay your contractors a large amount of money". Then the paying people in dribs and drabs only when they corner you and doing ninja disappearing tricks from debt collectors game starts.

Back