The putty walk - have you done it?

We're all guilty of it. We've all done it. It can be a little embarrasing to admit it - but its surely an experience!

Anyone whos done a renovation or been involved in a renovation should know what Im talking about.

Id like to call this one the 'Putty Walk'. Ill shelve it up there with 'Licking the Marshmallow' if it catches on :D

Grab a coffee and a tim tam, make yourself comfortable...

It goes a little like this.

1. Whilst preparing an internal wall for painting, you notice something not quite right.

2. Upon closer inspection you find a small damaged section of interior wall. Lets just say hyperthetically that this particular section of wall, on this occasion, is gyprock.

3. You assess the damage and come to the final conclusion that this section of damaged wall requires immediate rectification via way of putty or bog.

4. Hmm, top cote? Cornice cement or that cheap spakfiller crap? You decide upon cornice cement! Yesssss!

5. So you begin mixing your cornice cement. Cement, water, more cement, a little more water (at which point you start thinking about cakes and pastries) until you get that lovely professional toothpaste like consistency. You feel proud, almost talented at the quality of the texture. Its perfect.

Id like to add something here also...

Have you ever noticed how on occasion you actually "stare down" the section of wall youre about to fill or repair whilst mixing the putty? As if to say "Oh Im going to fix you good - just wait"

Anyway...back to the putty walk :D

6. You begin applying the putty, and if youre anything like I am with applying putty or cornice cement - you put it on, no thats not quite right, you take it off, you put it back on, you move it around, on off on off, up down, around side to side...ahh crap its going off - quick stuff it in there!!

7. Ok so the hole is filled. Youre happy. The job is done.

THEN SUDDENLY.....and this is where the phrase "Putty Walk" comes into action.

8. You look down at the remainder of the putty of which you have mixed (which in reality is enough to render the house) and begin to think...

"Sh*t! I cant waste it - what other holes need repairing?"

So you stand. Putty in one hand, spatular in the other. And you walk....aimlessly, in any direction, like an ant on a biscuit tin, just looking for an opportunity.

You walk up the hall, looking up, down, sideways, into the kitchen, theres got to be something in here - nope - back to the bedrooms....nothing. Wait the bathroom - yes! Wait no, hang on.....how about the doors? The cupboards, the walls, the ceiling?

All the while the urgency of not wasting cornice cement of which is going off in your hand becomes more and more intense!

I must admit that after having mixed putty numerous times that it seems I still end up putty walking regardless of care levels.

Do I have a problem or am I bound to putty walk for the remainder of my renovation?

RJ :D

RJ,

You need to learn to mix less putty! :D But having said that, I can vaguely recall doing the "putty walk" last time we painted the house :eek:

Regards,
Ozi

you think the putty walk is tough WAIT till you have a little bit of paint left in the tin and its the end of the job.You will do the whole "walk" over again. :D
cheers yadreamin

Afraid to admit I have done this :eek:
Problem is the putty marks are still there a year later in our PPOR - will need to get around to fixing that one day - then the paint walk will most likley happen :rolleyes:

The Gas man cometh

Reminded me of a song from a English Comedy Duo ( Flanders and Swan ) who I saw with my Parents in the 60's ( Probably the first live performance I went to see ).

This one was called "The Gas Man Cometh "

Twas on the Monday morning the gas-man came to call
The gas tap wouldn’t turn
I wasn’t getting gas at all
He tore out all the skirting boards to try and find the main
And I had to call a carpenter to put them back again
Oh it all makes work for the working man to do.

Twas on the Tuesday morning the carpenter came round
He hammered and he chiselled and he said, "Look what I’ve found
Your joists are full of dry rot but I’ll put them all to rights."
Then he nailed right through a cable and out went all the lights

Twas on a Wednesday morning the electrician came
He called me Mr. Sanderson which isn’t quite me name
He couldn’t reach the fuse box without standing on the bin
And he put his foot through a window so I called the glazier in

Twas on the Thursday morning the glazier came along
With his blowtorch and his putty and his merry glazier song
He put another pane in, it took no time at all
But I had to get a painter in to come and paint the wall

Twas on a Friday morning the painter made a start
With undercoats and overcoats, he painted every part
Every nook and every cranny but I found when he was gone
He’d painted over the gas tap and I couldn’t turn it on

On Saturday and Sunday they do no work at all
So twas on the Monday morning that the gas-man came to call.

See Change

Back