The right to bear arms

we should be allow to carry guns (not concealed)
the fact that some people shouldn't have access to them doesn't mean that normal people shouldn't as well.

it's like forbidding everyone to drive cars just because there are few hoons among us

probably right, democracy & all

but what if we're too immature and need to be treated like children with this one ?

For me its a weird thing as I grew up in Florida. I cant really remember seeing people walking around with guns in a holster on their leg. Just surprising to think next time I go back it could be commonplace.
Leave for work in the morning, keys, lunch, briefcase, phone, 357...

I've always supported the right to keep and arm bears.

Right_to_Arm_Bears_by_jack_fremont.jpg

I can see both sides.

I don't think it is right to totally disarm local communities, and make them rely on two fat 40 something policemen and a grumpy arthritic german shepard.

The best compromise I can think of is Australia adopting Swiss canton type local govts....where all adults have to take an interest in and vote for various local govt matters.

The cantons could have a repository for local gun owners to store guns.
That would provide a bit of protection from idiots getting their hands on guns but still keep arms reasonably close for the community to protect itself.

I think it sucks that bikie gangs can get around putting the fear of God into all and sundry, because they think Joe Average wouldn't take them on. Same with suburban gangs. They know most law abiding people aren't going to challenge them with the same level of force as they are prepared to use.

This has to change imho.....or at least the police maintain law and order better than what they do now.

I think you should be allowed to have at least a .22 grew up with them

then becuase some idiot went and wrecked it for us all have to jump through hoops if you just want to go shoot a few skippy's.

crims now are the ones with the guns as for a law abiding citizen it's alot of rigma roll just to get a gun however a crim can have a gun in minutes.

its not hard to purchase a firearm of any sort on the side...............not overly expensiev too I have heard

ta
rolf

gangs of oz is a real eye opener 9mill for $50

buying one of these legally your looking at a few k and regular police checks the pistol is stored properly.

meanwhile you need a liscense just to own a slug gun crazy...

gangs of oz is a real eye opener 9mill for $50

buying one of these legally your looking at a few k and regular police checks the pistol is stored properly.

meanwhile you need a liscense just to own a slug gun crazy...

you also need a license to own a paint ball gun. along with all of the correct storage.

How ironic, I'm typing this whilst at the rifle range.
Australia has the strictest gun laws in the world imho.
Semi autos rifles and shotguns are illegal for most. Very few can have them.
To own a hand gun, there are many hoops you have to jump through.
Firstly for Vic you must have a firearms license of course. You must be a member of a club. You are issues with a provisional license for 6 months and within that time you must have completed a safety course and engage in a certain amount of traning and competition. Once you meet the requirements at the conculsion of the provisional license period, you can then purcahse a handgun.
In addition, you must complete a set amount of training and competition for a 12 month period. This figure increases if you own other handguns in different calibers.
Bottom line, those that posess firearm illegally obviously don't have to abide to the above conditions.

IMHO the issue around murder and gun related crimes are often occuring with illegally obtained firearms as opposed to legal obtained ones.
One has to just take a good look around in the community to see the abundance of illegal drugs that have made it's way to our shores. If it is that easy to smuggle illicit drugs into the country, would it be that easy to also smuggle firearms?

take your kids shooting.

About 10years or so ago...my then 14-15 yo son thought guns were just SOOOOO cool (a diet of late 90's Arnie/Bruce Willis/ stallone and of course PlayStation)..He had been "pot shot"shooting on uncles farm at rabbits etc but only with a air rifle so the rabbits were reasonably safe :)

I made hubby take him to the local shooting range and spend some serious $$$.
They shot every thing from 22's up to 357 (they got 3 shots each of the 357)

Son now has a healthy respect for guns and realises that it is NOT like the movies and/or video games make out. (he had a sore shoulder for a while :) )

A few of our friends did the same thing and some of the boys cried like babies it really did scare them. (although one of those "babies"is now in the army:confused: )

All the dads agreed that is was a worthwile exercise...especially when most of them had never fired a gun either.

Reactions: BV
it wouldn't be too hard to get a gun if someone REALLY wanted one

I have no idea how hard or expensive it is to get a firearm, legally or illegally. All I can see though is, we have a problem with knives at the moment (even 12 year olds taking them to school)... if guns were so easy to obtain and carry with you, I can see those knives being replaced with guns. I know what I'd rather be up against.

I know the serious criminals probably have means of getting them quite easily, but your average Joe Blow with IQ of about 80 and spaced out on drugs probably couldn't be bothered going to the effort. I'd be scared if they got into the hands of these common criminals who commit daily acts of crime on random people.

it wouldn't be too hard to get a gun if someone REALLY wanted one

yes but if your caught with a say just a .22 for shooting pests on your property but have no valid liscense as now you need to have at least 40 acres for a vermont control permit.
you can go to jail for it for quite a long stay to.

what australia needs is a compulsory army service after kids leave school

Just what the Army needs in these overstretched times.

I don't think giving disaffected youth access to automatic weapons is the solution that it might have been back in the 50's when the Army was heavy on manpower and discipline. Todays Army relies on the professionalism of the individual more than the CSM shouting a lot which is what most people imagine it is all about.

what overstretched times?
there is a constant shortage of recruits, hence the defence job ads on TV all the time.

I think what he means by "over stretched" times is that todays defence personnel are expected to achieve far more in their working day and be muliskilled and more professional than they were 40 years ago. They just dont have the time to babysit people who dont want to be there.

Meet an american at a training course that kept a 9mm pistol beside his bed when he lived in California.

One night he heard something down stairs and went to investigate gun drawn. Was about to fire at a figure in the kitchen but hesitated. Flicked the light and it was his wife.

Disposed of the pistol the next morning.

Wasn't it Marvin Gaye that was shot accidently by his father who heard a noise in the middle of the night and went to investigate with his gun? The intruder he shot turned out to be his son.

Back