The right to bear arms

Wasn't it Marvin Gaye that was shot accidently by his father who heard a noise in the middle of the night and went to investigate with his gun? The intruder he shot turned out to be his son.

Just like motor vehicles, there's safe and unsafe ways to use weapons.
Should we outright ban motor vehicles because some people use these deadly weapons recklessly?

what australia needs is a compulsory army service after kids leave school

that's a great idea.

send the kids off to war after spending 18 years nurturing them and educating them to become productive members of society, only for them to come home from war a complete wreck and be on vet's pension the rest of their lives, unable to hold a relationship together and keep a job.

but it's the discipline they need, right?

:rolleyes:

Just like motor vehicles, there's safe and unsafe ways to use weapons.
Should we outright ban motor vehicles because some people use these deadly weapons recklessly?

depends what political party you side with, i guess.

all you need is one person to cry "won't somebody think of the children?!?!" and cars that travel more than 40kph will be banned.

that's a great idea.

send the kids off to war after spending 18 years nurturing them and educating them to become productive members of society, only for them to come home from war a complete wreck and be on vet's pension the rest of their lives, unable to hold a relationship together and keep a job.

but it's the discipline they need, right?

:rolleyes:

compulsory army service does not necessarily mean sending 18y.o kids to war.
they could serve in reserve for 6 month where they all get trained up and get some feel for discipline, and those who like it can then stay on for more advanced training.

but of course, if their parents insist, like you do, then they can be sent to war.

in fact, we can just give them guns and ship them to Afghanistan straight out of school. after all they had all the training they need playing those computer games which are refused classification in Australia :rolleyes:

compulsory Army Service Does Not Necessarily Mean Sending 18y.o Kids To War.

it Does When Reservists Get Their Marching Orders. Sure Sure, It Won't Happen Becaue You Said "not Necessarily".....wonder Why They're Called "reserves". It's Not Just Boy Scouts On Steroids.

They Could Serve In Reserve For 6 Month Where They All Get Trained Up And Get Some Feel For Discipline, And Those Who Like It Can Then Stay On For More Advanced Training.

But Of Course, If Their Parents Insist, Like You Do, Then They Can Be Sent To War.

clearly I Said They Should Go To War. In Fact, If You Read My Post Backwards With The Lights Off On A Slow Refresh Lappo Screen, There's A Satanic Hidden Message In There Too. Back In Your Box, Jack.

In Fact, We Can Just Give Them Guns And Ship Them To Afghanistan Straight Out Of School. After All They Had All The Training They Need Playing Those Computer Games Which Are Refused Classification In Australia :rolleyes:

The American Military Partially Funded The Development Of The Game Halo Because "...halo's Target Market Is The Same As Ours..." :eek:

Wasn't it Marvin Gaye that was shot accidently by his father who heard a noise in the middle of the night and went to investigate with his gun? The intruder he shot turned out to be his son.

Thanks to Wikipedia, here's what really happened...

Marvin Gaye "threatened to commit suicide several times after bitter arguments with his father. On April 1, 1984, Gaye's father fatally shot him after an argument that started after his parents squabbled over misplaced business documents. Gaye attempted to intervene, and was killed by his father using a gun that Marvin Jr. had given him four months before. Marvin Gaye would have turned 45 the next day.

Marvin Sr. was sentenced to five years of probation after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter. Charges of first-degree murder were dropped after it was revealed that Marvin Sr. had been beaten by Marvin Jr. before the killing. Doctors discovered Marvin Sr. had a brain tumor but was deemed fit for trial. Spending his final years in a retirement home, he died of pneumonia in 1998.

In 1987, Gaye was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was also inducted to Hollywood's Rock Walk in 1989 and was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1990."

family%20guy%20bear%20arms.jpg

The problem is people not guns. Having lived in a few countries including the states my preference is for a gun free society. If guns are allowed then stricter regulations, laws and penalties are needed. Target shooters, farmers and professional hunters should still be allowed to own rifles etc but no need for others. I know how it feels to look down the barrel of a gun when someone is pointing it at you on more than one occasion and I know the pain of being shot. Violence in today's society seems to be more acceptable and lesser punishments and penalties are handed out. Some will say that criminals will always be able to get guns and what is needed is strong enough penalties to deter and not the slap on the wrist so often handed out. Don't expect all or any to agree but just my thoughts on the issue.

Back