The Rolls-Royce and the Cadillac

Reply: 5.1.1

That and the fact that a collision with your classic metal monster and their plastic dream machine is probably vividly in the front of their minds.

Michael G

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 5.1.1.1

True story:
I used to work at a video store in Geelong. Anyway, one day this fella walks in with long, straggly hair to his bum, a t-shirt and old pair of trackies that looked like they could pass for swiss cheese and no shoes on. He talks to the owner for a while, then bails. The owner then asks me if I know who the guy was? I said no. He then tells me he was one of the guys that started up Quiksilver. From looking at him, you never woulda guessed. I've never forgotten that story and I never will. Moral of the story: don't EVER judge a book by it's cover.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'
P.S. I sometimes joke about what things are gonna be like in ten years with my partner -her getting around in fancy digs and me dressed like a bum, same as I do now. The thing that's funny about it, is that most people are going to look down on me, little realising that I will be worth more than they could ever hope to be.

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1

Howdy,
From personal experience I know how hard it has been for me to fight off the ingrained negative sentiment towards those who are successful. Growing up in a "battling" house (in more ways than one) my subconscious was trained to dislike those who had that unfair advantage of wealth because they probably ripped off people like me to get it.
Many years later and with my paradigm shifting faster than my hair is falling out (yeh yeh) I can say that I now say of those same successful people - well done and it is great to see those who rise to the challenge are rewarded. On my journey I feel like I am barely at the front gate and there are many paths to be travelled before I can "come home" again. Even though I have not gone far I realise that those "successful people" sacrificed and suffered as a part of their journey and I am grateful for this forum as it points out many hazards ahead and warns others like me of problems. so saying it is also a great encouragement. Even though I have had my bumps I am sure that if I keep plodding on I will achieve success. Everyday the fast track is getting closer.

Thanks to all of you who have challenged me so far in my brief stint in this forum and I look forward to more help and insight.

Enjoy
AD

"It is a brave person who stands in front of a shifting paradigm."

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1.1

Hi AD
Thanks for sharing this with us.
My husband comes from a similar background, his father is a worker, I don't know how he copes with the fact that his son is one of those awful management people nowadays ;-)
We say very little to his family about our plans, and on the rare occasion something slips out they give us a look like, yeah, right, keep on dreaming. It will be interesting to see the reaction when hubby leaves his current job and doesn't get another one... 14.5 months and counting....
Keep smiling
Felicity :cool:

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1.1.1

Here is another point to ponder also about USA and Australia

Over the years I have often read about the split of the population in regards to employee mentality enterpreneurial mentality and income distribution.

For the point of discussion the broad figures are 80/20 rule

20 % of the population control 80% of the wealth

and then you have the 95/5 rule.

In that only 5 people in 100 ever reach a level of financial success and freedom.

So

Australia Population is 18 million

Assume 9 million work

That means 450 000 people will reach financial freedom

USA population is approx 250 000 000

Hence the numbers of success stories would be much higher.........yet the percentages the same.

Those of you who have been to the US would all identify there "positive" attitude however the still have the same tall poppy issues and "soured" mentality and excuse makers that we have.

Europe is the same.

World Wide people on mass do not vary very much

Leaders and Followers have and have nots.

Just some more points to consider.

Mark

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Mark,

I made a post recently under the title of 'Wealth Distribution' concerning stats and their source as opposed to hearsay.

On what basis do you say that 20% of the people control 80% of the wealth - or are these just the 'generally accepted figures'? Ditto the 95/5 ratio?

I disagree, by the way (just to stir things up a bit), that the Yanks have their own tall poppy syndrome. One of the many refreshing things I found in America, having lived and worked there for four years (Chicago & Miami), was the almost total absence of this attitude, to the extent that it was also perfectly OK to fail - at least you gave it a go - so pick yourself and have another go, and another etc. Indeed, in the corporate world, there is (or was) a certain value to having experienced failure as those who have felt it have a valuable contribution to make (about how to avoid it).

Admittedly there are some who moan & groan (i.e. the losers) but, speaking as a Pom, it is far, far less than in UK/Europe. Their God, after all, is the Almighty Dollar - and good luck to them.

(Would still like to know about your source of the stats...)

SG

Reply: 6

I cannot for the life of me understand why people say they do not wan't to be filthy rich.
the simple formula is money = freedom.
What these people are saying is they don't want freedom, they wan't to be chained to doing things they don't like.I here it all the time, my answer is buy yourself a 1 way ticket to Ethiopia, that way you will never have to worry about becoming rich, and you can stop boring other people about how much you don't want to be well off.
Getting onto the point about seeing a nice expensive car driving in the street. There was an old saying in the Navy "salute the uniform not the man" this is the same with an exotic car. If I see a late model Porsche 911 (very rare in Adelaide) driving by, I sit there and sigh at the incredible feat of engineering and style that i see before my eyes, and do not even notice the person behind the wheel. I never forget seeing a silver Lamborghini Diablo driving down George St in Sydney. The whole street basically came to a standstill and just stared at it.

I have no problem with people showing off there wealth, and I think most people who are at extreme wealthy end of the scale go out of there way not to show off. As with my previous example of the Diablo, there would be lots and lots of people in Sydney who could afford that car, however they a rarely seen on the roads, I suspect it is because of the large amount of attention it would draw. One thing I really do detest is wealthy people who actually start to believe they are better than others because of their money, that attitude is disgusting, just like that lady from Robina on ACA last night, she is a vile creature, an unfortunate byproduct of wealth.
On the flipside to this is people who act poor ie: a huge chip on there sholder, don't shower, don't wash clothes, let there kids run riot, leave car wrecks on there front lawn, do burnouts every time they leave the house (what is the attraction to that), and in general are a pain in the backside to the rest of the community. When I was a kid we did not have much money at all (relatively speaking), and surprisingly we never degenarated into feral scum, so when I see feral people blaming everyone else for their own problems, I think to myself you are a feral loser because you chose to be one.

Reply: 6.1

Source of stats is not defined in that I have been to so many seminars and read so many books that I find these numbers as re occurring themes throughout !

In regards to why doesn't everyone want to be filthy rich

many people wish it

few really want it

fewer really try to achieve it

fewest make it

all good

mark

Reply: 6.1.1

Anticipation is half the fun. I'm still trying to decide on the colour of my Boxster.....that dark gunmetal silver is kinda nice

Reply: 6.1.1.1

G'Day all

Michelle,

You've got to get one of those really fast "RED" ones

regards
Jakk the Slum Lord

Reply: 6.1.1.1.1

I thought Aussies say..

( when seeing a young man driving a flash car)

Oh look, obviously his dads car.

Back