The things people say and do

My son left this morning to commence a Summer job on a farm. The owner told me the other day that they have snakes and i suggested she not say any more to me, but give him a talk when he arrives. Yesterday the idiot I work with mentioned several times about the worker killed by a snake bite the day before near Rocky. Gosh, the things people want to talk about.

Following from Kathryn's thread which has deteriorated into a discusssion of fast food eating etiquette, I want to say that I dont eat in any of these kinds of businesses. We do buy Subway but eat it in the car.

Have you thought about how often the staff get around to cleaning the actual tables after the papers and other waste is removed? While waiting around in a few Maccas and such (group travel) over the last few years, I have taken up amuzing myself watching the behaviour of other customers. Coughing all over the tables and chairs; slobbering on their burgers and then leaving some on the table; children and their elders with green stuff falling out of their noses, wiped on their napkin or sleeve and the sleeve later dragged across the tables and chairs.

The tables are used several times before anyone comes over with a squirt bottle and wipes them. It is disinfectant in the bottle, isn't it?:confused:

The same applies to all public venues - five star hotels, dimly lit elite nightclubs, gyms, restaurants, etc. When you next pay $1000 a night for the presidential suite at a top hotel and relax into the leather lounge suite, it is highly likely that someone with a contagious skin condition was last sitting on it naked.

The same applies to all public venues - five star hotels, dimly lit elite nightclubs, gyms, restaurants, etc. When you next pay $1000 a night for the presidential suite at a top hotel and relax into the leather lounge suite, it is highly likely that someone with a contagious skin condition was last sitting on it naked.

Are you on drugs? Or just have a highly active imagination?

LOL!!! :eek: Perish the thought!

Tsk tsk, china. You of all people should know that presidential suites in top hotels cost a lot more than $1000 a night. No wonder you developed that rash, you're staying in cockroach infested dives.

yesterday...

Phone rings...

ME: Hello.

MICROSOFT MAN: Hello, is that Mrs. ******?

ME: Speaking.

MM: Mrs. ****** this is Ben Smith (has usual foreign accent) and I'm from Microsoft. I'm ringing you regarding your PC. Our systems are showing your Pc to be infected with viruses.
I'm ringing you so I can fix it.

ME: I was having bad problems with my computer. I thought it was a virus.

MM: Yes Mrs. ****** you have a few and they're bad ones. Are you at your PC now?

ME: Not right now. I'm on the toilet. Give me a minute.

MM: No problem Mrs. *******

P A U S E...

ME: Won't be long. I'm a little constipated. The poos are a little hard. You know what it's like. *little embarrassed laugh*

MM: Yes... that's OK. *little laugh*

ME: Sorry, won't be long. Nearly done.

TOILET FLUSH (yes went to the toilet to flush because I could believe this guy wasn't hanging up on me :eek:).

ME: All done. So what do you want me to do?

MM: Could you go tothe PC Mrs. ****** and turn it on.

LONG PAUSE...

ME: Oh, Im sorry I need to go to the toilet AGAIN.

And this goes on and on while I'm doing work around the house.

PC eventually died (told him it shut down and the viruses must be bad) so he couldn't fix it and he hung up :D.

Family were highly amused, especially son #1 who did something similar with MM last week.

Tsk tsk, china. You of all people should know that presidential suites in top hotels cost a lot more than $1000 a night. No wonder you developed that rash, you're staying in cockroach infested dives.

True, it is all that I can afford at this stage. But my point persists about the hazards of public venues.

Well, now that we're discussing hotels, one thing that I can tell you: never use towels provided by the hotel, being Formula 1 motel or Hilton. Always bring and use your own.

Towels are used to clean the toilets and leave them shining by the time the guest comes in. Yes, they are supposed to be washed afterwards, but after knowing many friends that are cleaners, I now always use my own :)

yesterday...

Phone rings...

MM: Mrs. ****** this is Ben Smith (has usual foreign accent) and I'm from Microsoft. I'm ringing you regarding your PC. Our systems are showing your Pc to be infected with viruses.
I'm ringing you so I can fix it.

ME: I was having bad problems with my computer. I thought it was a virus.

MM: Yes Mrs. ****** you have a few and they're bad ones. Are you at your PC now?

ME: Not right now. I'm on the toilet. Give me a minute.

MM: No problem Mrs. *******

P A U S E...

ME: Won't be long. I'm a little constipated. The poos are a little hard. You know what it's like. *little embarrassed laugh*

MM: Yes... that's OK. *little laugh*

ME: Sorry, won't be long. Nearly done.

TOILET FLUSH (yes went to the toilet to flush because I could believe this guy wasn't hanging up on me :eek:).

ME: All done. So what do you want me to do?

MM: Could you go tothe PC Mrs. ****** and turn it on.

LONG PAUSE...

ME: Oh, Im sorry I need to go to the toilet AGAIN.

And this goes on and on while I'm doing work around the house.

PC eventually died (told him it shut down and the viruses must be bad) so he couldn't fix it and he hung up :D.

Family were highly amused, especially son #1 who did something similar with MM last week.
Last time they called I said, "Hold on a minute, I'll just put you onto the computer owner". I took the phone out to my cockatoo. She wasn't particulary in a talkitive mood, just let out a couple of 'hello's'. After a couple of minutes I checked their response and they had hung up. They haven't called back since. So rude! The computer was her first birthday present.

Uh actually - you'd be surprised how many "top" hotels have bed bugs. Difficult to get rid of completely... and only needs one carrier....

The Y-man

yesterday...

Phone rings...

MM: Mrs. ****** this is Ben Smith (has usual foreign accent) and I'm from Microsoft.
See; your first mistake was not screening the call until it went to answering machine (like we do), and you second mistake was not hanging up without another word at this point in his sentence....like I do. ;)

Following from Kathryn's thread which has deteriorated into a discusssion of fast food eating etiquette, I want to say that I dont eat in any of these kinds of businesses. We do buy Subway but eat it in the car.
Yesterday we had to go up to the CBD, and decided to make a bit of a trip of it and headed down to Docklands; we had never been there before.

We went to the food court in the Harbourtown shopping area, and had Subway for lunch (HI Geoff :)) at the tables assembled out the front of the various food places...

As we sat down, I watched a Dad and two boys chowing down on their KFC two tables away from us, and then proceeded to get up and all walk directly past the bin some 3 metres from their table, leaving a mountain of scraps and paper behind.

Within seconds 2 seagulls and about 5 sparrows had descended on the table and spread food scraps and paper all over the table and floor. Another lady and I shooed them away and picked up the scraps and put them in the bin....

We sat there for another 15 mins approx, and didn't see a single staff member clean any tables that were left vacant.

Last edited:
it is highly likely that someone with a contagious skin condition was last sitting on it naked.
I agree China ,,that's why i won't use the stubbie coolers behind the front bar in some nth nsw hotels,no-ones knows who was holding onto the cooler prior too yourself..

And what many people fail to understand is that as humans, we are covered in bugs,

There are billions of bugs around your own home even if you are a neat freak,

Any, doors, walls, handles 5 m of a toilet, or a rubbish bin, the entrance, kitchen,

Even if you got disinfectant and wiped every corner of the house every day there is bugs everywhere
Most bacteria isn't harmful,

A person slobbering over a uncleared table at McDonald's isn't going to make you no more sicker then at your personal dinner table

It's all about perception and comfort levels

Even I am aware about bugs and still think ewww when I see a used napkin stuck to a fast food table , even though I know the same chances of getting sick wild occur at home,

The human mind is a powerful thing

Uh actually - you'd be surprised how many "top" hotels have bed bugs. Difficult to get rid of completely... and only needs one carrier....

The Y-man

I was joking. 5 star hotels and restaurants can be as bug/germ ridden as any el budgeto place. Bed bugs are one thing but generally it's better to ignore how unhygienic most places are otherwise we'd end up bathing ourselves in bleach and encasing ourselves in cling wrap. Besides, exposure to a certain amount of day-to-day germs is good for us, helps build up our immunity.

A friend was watching one of those cleaning/what germs do we have type shows on tv.

Apparently its not the chair or bed you should be worried about - its the tv remote control!

A friend was watching one of those cleaning/what germs do we have type shows on tv.

Apparently its not the chair or bed you should be worried about - its the tv remote control!

That applies to supermarket trollies, and door handles and phones at work too - wherever you have many hands.

Even fruit and veg that we eat sometimes carries the same bug you find on the remote control.

We're not safe anywhere :eek:.

Back