the unbelievable gall of some ex-tenants

Way to go Lizzie.

Your positive attitude that is.

Something like this would dishearten a lot of people. I know I'd be pi#$%d off.

Good on you for putting it behind you and getting on with things.

Regards
Marty

Good on you Lizzie for doing the right thing...all the way through this drama. You have a great resilient attitude which will hold you in good stead for the future.

I'd certainly be p*&%$d off too.

in many ways i was :( - but allowing myself to wallow in such a feeling now, when i have no control over any outcome, will solve nothing. i vented everything at the tenant when we went to the tribunal a month ago.

both financially and emotionally i've moved on and looking forward ... to places where i do have control.

Hi im newbie , I would like to say something the Tribunal work's in favour of the tenant but they are fair they have to be. I learn't that from my boss hes had 35 years experience in Property Managment. Im learning that when we select prospective tenants for a propety that we have to be spot on and make sure we made the right choice. Thank's guy I enjoy reading your post's

Sorry to hear that Lizzie - the tribunal outcome that is. In the end, they are doing themselves a disfavour. I would expect that it is hard enough for 4 young blokes to find rental accomodation as it is due to stereotype of wild partying etc, so you would expect that they would not ruin their chances of being able to rent in the future. I hope your PM gives them the references they deserve so they do end up learning a valuable lesson in the end.

Good on you Lizzie it appears you are moving on from that experience but it could have been alot worse you know one of the tenants could have been called Corey...:)

Cheers
BC

Good on you Lizzie it appears you are moving on from that experience but it could have been alot worse you know one of the tenants could have been called Corey...:)

Cheers
BC

hahahaha - must admit i didn't sleep real well last night ... the winds of fate seem to be testing at the moment.

a major sale that would signficantly improve our cashflow fell thru on friday cause the buyers couldn't get the last bit of finance.

it still irks that the tenants lied under oath, and one of them is training to be a lawyer! - wouldn't i love to give his boss a heads up about the integrity of his employee, but then without physical proof that he lied i'd be up on a slander charge ...

doing the sums - we made quite a few mistakes the last 4 years ... poor title structure, expecting the boom of continue longer than it did, not seeing the sharemarket position (sold our shares 3 years ago to buy property!! :eek:) and really, we would've been in the exact same financial position of we had done nothing for the last four years (kept the shares, not bought the properties) - and not had all the angst to go with it.

ah well - live and learn. the frustrating part is that we've mentally moved on to the path we now want to follow - yet it is taking ages to sort out the portfolio by selling the dogs, wind up the poor strucutre and to follow along our goal path ...

in some ways it's great that property moves slowly - but i wish it would darn well hurry up :rolleyes:

Hi im newbie , I would like to say something the Tribunal work's in favour of the tenant but they are fair they have to be.

If the tribunal works in favour of the tenant that is'nt fair, it's biased.

Sorry to hear they got off Lizzie

Most unfortunate and unfair for you.:mad:

Dave

Hi im newbie , I would like to say something the Tribunal work's in favour of the tenant but they are fair they have to be.

bb's right - the tribunal is rarely fair.

stick around here long enough and you'll hear some stories to make your hair stand on end ... like the tenants that get away with not paying months worth of rent and trashing someone's house because the "poor things" are on the pension - or - destroying 3/4 of a house of new carpet, but getting away with only having to pay for 1/4 because they lied under oath (this case).

nope - tribunal is rarely fair. it is often very biased towards the poor old tenants, and against the rich landlords (don't i wish :rolleyes:)

Tribunal ain't fair. Went to tribunal before Xmas because of non paying tenants. Gave them an extra month because it was Xmas & they have kids. Well, I have kids too, but I still have to pay for my committments. Had to clean the crap up after & they had plenty of money for lots of expensive electrial doodads for Xmas. I had all the empty boxes to prove it.:mad:

Easiest way I know of to increase affordability. Stop paying rent.:mad:

Lizzy, Did the tribunal say why they were only awarding you part of the costs, and not full?

because the magistrate believed the lying tenants that only two rooms had stains instead of the honest pm advising it was four ... the magistrate also took of 15% depreciation instead of 10%, and didn't charge them the cost of cleaning the "undamaged" carpet ... simple but normal unfairness in tribunal.

p.s. the pm had photographic evidence, plus two letters from other sales agents who had seen the state of the carpet - but the because the carpet and walls colours are the same throughout the house, and there was no furniture because the tenants had moved out, the ex-tenants argued that all the stains were only in two rooms as it couldn't be proven where the photos were taken.

Last edited:
That's disgraceful and of course being a business the next tenant will have to pay instead in terms of greater rent in order to make up the shortfall. I hope you shopped them to TICA.

4 male uni students

Just re-read this whole sorry saga Lizzie.

Can I ask - did you ever find out what subject these 4 clowns were studying at Uni ?? Just from reading your comments about them lying and being smarmy with their answers, it just reeked of law students. Was I close ??

Back