Weddings today

I know "how long is a piece of string".....

Every wedding I have attended over the last 5 years has been terrible, generally the food has been poor quality, venue - average and what really surprises me is the cost involved, to really just achieve average, its not fair, not right. I guess my point is, it seems regardless of the budget the weddings I have attended have really failed miserably in providing quality.

My niece is getting married in March, paying $120 per head, at a winery in WA in the Swan Valley, known for its good wines and good food. They are inviting over 100 guests. I am not optimistic that it will be wonderful, purely from my experience, more money does not mean better.

Had this discussion with my daughter and its just so difficult. Prefer intimate, only very close friends and family, in our case this would still be around 80 people.

It has been suggested that we should look at an overseas wedding, but logistically and for a couple of other reasons, this probably wont work.

I know someone who got married in Spain and did not account for the very hot weather and everyone nearly fried, also lack of control could be an issue.

Any suggestions/experience. I know what will make a great wedding, but not sure how to find it.

MTR:)

I suppose it's a difficult one, weddings being those things you (hopefully) only have one of in your lifetime (as opposed to a restaurant you go back to many times).

Friends can give recommendations to friends, but who wants to have a wedding at the same place their friend just had theirs at?

'Australian wedding venue review', there's a business idea! Could add in reviews for DJs, bands, limo's, etc.

Is this the benefit of hiring a wedding planner who knows the best places?

I suppose it's a difficult one, weddings being those things you (hopefully) only have one of in your lifetime (as opposed to a restaurant you go back to many times).

Friends can give recommendations to friends, but who wants to have a wedding at the same place their friend just had theirs at?

'Australian wedding venue review', there's a business idea! Could add in reviews for DJs, bands, limo's, etc.

Is this the benefit of hiring a wedding planner who knows the best places?

Never thought of a wedding planner, bet they cost a fortune though???

Anything that you have word "wedding" in front of it will cost double or more the actual cost.

if you are looking for sort of "intimate" wedding.. source decoration stuff your self form ebay and likes.

We ended up doing flower arrangements DIY for friends wedding reception and it was so much fun and saved $$$$.

mflying
That's good, don't mind doing the hard yards, the catering may be the big issue, I agree put "wedding" in front and you will get charged a premium

Thanks
MTR:)

The best wedding I ever went to was my own. I doubt my guests would have said the same thing, but the day is really all about making the couple (bride) feel special, the guests get a half decent and very expensive event out of it.

Essentially it's about the couple. For many involved they're the customer, not the guests.

Turn this around and define the guests as the customer, then what is it that they want the make it a spectacular event for them?

MTR you've said that you've felt most weddings you've been too were average. You've stated the high level problem but not defined it other than to say you know what the solution is.

Perhaps define the problems and solutions in point form. Give this info to your niece.

Hi Marisa. Weddings are only as good as the people you invite.

We have a very close knit group of friends, I would go as far to call them family, and each wedding/party/nye/xmas is a hoot.

Smaller wedding, better quality guests and the food flowing. Have a venue to retreat to after the 12 or 1 end time and you will have a super memorable day.

Thats what we did with 60 on a 6000 budget. Was the best day and still taked about.

Spent 35k on wedding last year. Had really good food though, 8 course banquet with lobsters and all. 130 people. Everyone has come back saying how great the day / food was. Only downside is the bank account, could've gotten another IP with that money haha. Oh well, balance in life is more important, hopefully it's just a "one time event".

Ours cost about 35k 4 years ago. The reception was $100 including everything (dj, mc, cake, seafood, 4 course meal, the lot basically) a head and we had about 180 guests. Food was fantastic and our families are Italian/Coratian so it had to be good! The reception was the cheapest out of the 4 we checked out, we didn't go for it based on the price though, more that it was family run and the people we're very friendly and easy to deal with.

The rest of the money went on the dress, cars, photographer, flowers, video etc. We had a great day. My brother on the other hand got married last year, spent about $200 a head plus all the extras, the wedding cost over 70k. The reception was a bit flashier than ours but the food wasn't as good.

They can be a massive waste of money! I went to one a couple of years ago with over 700 guests. Would have cost easy 250k! My cousin got married 25 years ago and at the time my uncle coughed up about 100k back then for his daughters big day! And guess what, 6 months later they got divorced...urghhh

Depends on what your daughter want...
I went for a small wedding (20ppl) at Botanical Garden
Got the site $400 for 2 hours, plenty for photos and ceremony. As a plus, I got a free kids choir as it was close to the Conservatory of music and the kids were around, excited to have bride and groom.
Buffet lunch in Sydney tower, $55 per head

The most expensive parts are the honeymoon (definitely worth it compared to a big party) and the photographer.

$1,000 dinner at a nice restaurant, then go and spend all the money I saved on a trip and make some memories with my wife as opposed to the 100 guests who would just turn up to work on Monday and say "went to a wedding on Saturday, food was average but the beer was free."

The reception you attend is probably only about 50-60% the cost of the entire procedure - the other big costs are the photographer, dress and other tid bits that you get ripped off on. The main issue is that once you start paying for things, it's easy to get carried away because you want the best of everything.

"Why bother paying $20k for the reception and not getting the best dress/photographer/flowers?" This is why weddings are either really expensive (just attended one for a friend that had 1,000 guests in one major reception but there were 4 receptions in total) or really cheap (had a friend with a pot-luck one at his house).

$1,000 dinner at a nice restaurant, then go and spend all the money I saved on a trip and make some memories with my wife as opposed to the 100 guests who would just turn up to work on Monday and say "went to a wedding on Saturday, food was average but the beer was free."

That would describe probably half the weddings I've been to. I've been to so many ones where I wouldn't have invited me. Not that I'm a bad guest, just I haven't known the couple well enough to warrant an invite IMO.

One of the best was an engagement party that turned into a wedding half way through. Far less formal. No waiting around at the church and between the church and reception. Just a great party.

Our wedding cost $4000 15 years ago for 65 guests. Seems so cheap! I shopped around -3 quotes. Mostly used services that didn't charge a premium from being a wedding. Arsed it a bit too. It was fun for everyone. Went overtime with photo's - Limo driver chucked in an extra hour for free, DJ was having fun so chucked in extra hour at no cost, bar staff gave away free shooters and spirits, no charge from venue or photographer for extra time. Only complaint I had was from my father-in-laws girlfriend 4years later telling me her chicken was dry, I don't think her opinion counts though :D

Wedding Budget: $5,000 - $10,000
Approximately 50 people and a basic wedding
Reception: $2,500 - $5,000
Ceremony Site: $100 - $200
Wedding Attire: $500 - $1,000
Photography/Videography: $500 - $1,200
Flowers: $500 - $1,000
Entertainment/Music: $200 - $600
Invitations & Stationery: $100 - $300
Wedding Rings: $100 - $300
Transportation: $100 - $300
Favors & Gifts: $100 - $300
Extras: $250 - $500

Wedding Budget: $15,000 - $30,000
If you don't want to cut corners, but aren't into superfluous details and inviting everyone you've ever met, this is the price range that you can expect to work within. Plan on inviting about 100 people on this budget. Here's how to split up the expenses in this price range...
Reception: $7,500 - $15,000
Ceremony Site: $300 - $600
Wedding Attire: $1,500 - $3,000
Photography/Videography: $1,500 - $3,600
Flowers: $1,500 - $3,000
Entertainment/Music: $600 - $1,800
Invitations & Stationery: $300 - $900
Wedding Rings:$300 - $900
Transportation:$300 - $900
Favors & Gifts:$300 - $900
Extras: $750 - $1,500

Wedding Budget: $50,000 - $75,000
If you have a very large guest list (175+), or if you want to 'go all out' for your wedding, you may end up spending at least $50,000 on the big day. Here's how to split up the expenses in this price range...
Reception: $25,000 - $37,500
Ceremony Site: $1,000 - $1,500
Wedding Attire: $5,000 - $7,5000
Photography/Videography: $5,000 - $9,000
Flowers: $5,000 - $7,5000
Entertainment/Music: $2,000 - $4,500
Invitations & Stationery: $1,000 - $2,250
Wedding Rings: $1,000 - $2,250
Transportation: $1,000 - $2,250
Favors & Gifts: $1,000 - $2,250
Extras: $2,500 - $3,750

Back