Weddings today

However, what spoilt the evening was I had my bag stolen, when I went out to view the fireworks, I left it at the table, we never got it back, no money in it, nonetheless it did spoil the evening a little.

Cheers
MTR

I think jimmy choo took it.

Wedding Budget: $5,000 - $10,000
Approximately 50 people and a basic wedding
Reception: $2,500 - $5,000
Ceremony Site: $100 - $200
Wedding Attire: $500 - $1,000
Photography/Videography: $500 - $1,200
Flowers: $500 - $1,000
Entertainment/Music: $200 - $600
Invitations & Stationery: $100 - $300
Wedding Rings: $100 - $300
Transportation: $100 - $300
Favors & Gifts: $100 - $300
Extras: $250 - $500

Wedding Budget: $15,000 - $30,000
If you don't want to cut corners, but aren't into superfluous details and inviting everyone you've ever met, this is the price range that you can expect to work within. Plan on inviting about 100 people on this budget. Here's how to split up the expenses in this price range...
Reception: $7,500 - $15,000
Ceremony Site: $300 - $600
Wedding Attire: $1,500 - $3,000
Photography/Videography: $1,500 - $3,600
Flowers: $1,500 - $3,000
Entertainment/Music: $600 - $1,800
Invitations & Stationery: $300 - $900
Wedding Rings:$300 - $900
Transportation:$300 - $900
Favors & Gifts:$300 - $900
Extras: $750 - $1,500

Wedding Budget: $50,000 - $75,000
If you have a very large guest list (175+), or if you want to 'go all out' for your wedding, you may end up spending at least $50,000 on the big day. Here's how to split up the expenses in this price range...
Reception: $25,000 - $37,500
Ceremony Site: $1,000 - $1,500
Wedding Attire: $5,000 - $7,5000
Photography/Videography: $5,000 - $9,000
Flowers: $5,000 - $7,5000
Entertainment/Music: $2,000 - $4,500
Invitations & Stationery: $1,000 - $2,250
Wedding Rings: $1,000 - $2,250
Transportation: $1,000 - $2,250
Favors & Gifts: $1,000 - $2,250
Extras: $2,500 - $3,750

Not a bad list there chilliblue, but it seems a bit thin compared to what I remember. There are a myriad things that pop up that always get overlooked.

The biggest thing cost wise not on the list is the engagement ring for the woman. I've seen that single cost in some instances be more expensive than the reception.

The wedding attire looks really skinny. Some women go completely over the top when it comes to the bridal gown, plus the head thing plus the garters plus the stockings plus the lingerie plus the hair plus the make up sessions (more than 1 mostly).....and that's just her, then the entourage of bridesmaids, sometimes up to 8 or 10.

Then there is the flower girls and page boys all being dolled up to the same extent.....and we haven't even got onto the groom yet or the accompanying and matching groomsmen for the gaggle of bridesmaids.

The clothing budget - even the top of the range for the big budget of 7.5K looks extremely skinny.....these bridal places flogging all of these wares don't have sensational mark ups for nothing. That budget could easily be blown on just the bride by herself, let alone the other 20 people standing around.

Transportation budget looks very slim indeed. Stretch limos and drivers in suits standing around for hours on end on an exclusive basis don't come that cheap, especially here in WA.

The cost of the honeymoon (usually up there with the engagement ring) has been totally ignored as well.

Don't know what "favors" mean, but I remember crates of bottles of port for the men guests and these French things called 'bonboderies' or something for all of the female guests. They all added up to a fortune, not to mention what else was on the table. The fat wad of $ 50 bills was very quickly flying out the door for incidentals every day in the week prior to the wedding day. Every hour someone was "just nipping out" for some absolutely urgent doodad or thing. It didn't matter what the doodad was, it never was less than $ 50 or $ 100.

Even down to the nibbles and drinks in the limos for the wedding party to nibble on and drink during the 90 minutes whilst the photos were being taken. They cost oodles.

Oh, that reminds me, nothing listed there either for the bucks night and the hens night. They both were not cheap....all up, quite a few K.

I suppose some people could budget and get away with everything for a few K, but it doesn't ring true.

There are a multitude of huge businesses hanging off the wedding industry and they mostly all thrive. Can't remember the last time I read in the media that a wedding industry contractor was going under financially. No, they all do very well, and with the modern attitudes inflamed by social media, I think the average bride will continue to insist on the day being bigger than Ben Hur....and the resultant cost continue to be through the roof.

I reckon with a decent rock for an engagement ring, a decent overseas honeymoon (not a week in Bali), the bucks and hens night and throw in all of the extras that actually happen on the day that aren't listed I reckon another 25 or 30K could easily be added without even raising a sweat.

The biggest thing cost wise not on the list is the engagement ring for the woman. I've seen that single cost in some instances be more expensive than the reception.

If you buy it in Australia. My ring would retail for 10k in Australia (I actually saw comparables for this price) - it was 3k in the US.

The same is true for wedding dresses. I would have saved about $1,500 (identical dress) if I got it from the US. I was going to but didn't have enough lead time as we had a short engagement.

The morale of the story: weddings are expensive but you get doubly ripped off in Australia :p

If you buy it in Australia. My ring would retail for 10k in Australia (I actually saw comparables for this price) - it was 3k in the US.

The same is true for wedding dresses. I would have saved about $1,500 (identical dress) if I got it from the US. I was going to but didn't have enough lead time as we had a short engagement.

The morale of the story: weddings are expensive but you get doubly ripped off in Australia :p

What are the risks though??? If you don't like the dress, can you return it and full refund?? I know much cheaper, perhaps am old school but I like to see what I am buying and try before I buy

I already tried the dress on at a local store. I only found out the price difference after doing a Google search out of curiousity. I don't think it's a huge risk if you try on other similar dresses and/or dresses by the same designer. Obviously, you only buy from reputable online stores not the ones that make the Chinese "copies".

I already tried the dress on at a local store. I only found out the price difference after doing a Google search out of curiousity. I don't think it's a huge risk if you try on other similar dresses and/or dresses by the same designer. Obviously, you only buy from reputable online stores not the ones that make the Chinese "copies".

Friend's daughter ordered a costume on line for her 21st birthday party, measurements were wrong, too small and no fabric to take it out, had to go hire an outfit.

Hopefully should be no issues if it is a well known/reputable online store

Hi Dazz, the list was given to a girlfriend by a wedding planner to work from.

My own wedding was close family and friends and very small in Italian standards. We had 60 people whilst my cousin two weeks prior had 540.

Personally, I think weddings are like having children. You listen to the advice being dished out and choose to doto what you want.

If you want an over the top extravaganza then go for it. It you want a small event then that is perfectly fine.

So long as you do what you want and have a great time who cares what people think.

Better off to invite a few important people, keep the cost right down, down, down, and put some money towards a nice honeymoon and/or towards a property deposit.

BV, just had a new biz idea - maybe you can host weddings at the workshop on weekends - give it a "mechanics" theme? :D

Maybe even offer a motorcade of cars currently in the workshop? :)

The Y-man

According to Herald Sun article last year the average cost of a wedding is $54,294. Average! But that included honeymoon and rings.

Weddings must be a bonanza for the economy, just think of what the wedding costs the bride and groom plus you've got all the guests expenses: gifts purchased, suits/dresses purchased, hairdressers, flying in from around the country/world, accommodation, taxis, etc, etc.

It cartainly pays to shop around and you don't need to compromise on quality. If you can use services that are just beginning and trying to earn a reputation you can save heaps over using a well established venue. We paid $25/head plus bartab plus $100 room hire to have reception here with similar menu and service. Now that it has a reputation the charges are heaps more. $80/head+
http://www.eastsleagues.com.au/weddings-brisbane/docs/WeddingsPackages2013v1.4sml.pdf

According to Herald Sun article last year the average cost of a wedding is $54,294. Average! But that included honeymoon and rings.

Seems a bit low at 54K once you go full circle with everything included, but then obviously half of the couples are spending far more than that, so I suppose it rings true.

Anyone quoting all up wedding figures under 10K really are the very low (0 to 10 percentile) exceptions to the norm.

If all couples restricted their total wedding cost to under 10K, quite a few entire industries would fall over and many thousands of folk around the country would be out of work.....not to mention a raft of wedding magazines going under peddling this stuff.

Must be a pretty low key affair to spend $10k on a wedding given you tend to spend more than that before you even step into the church. To each their own - I've just been through the experience and it is a very harrowing one for the wallet.

Hi Dazz, the list was given to a girlfriend by a wedding planner to work from.

My own wedding was close family and friends and very small in Italian standards. We had 60 people whilst my cousin two weeks prior had 540.

Personally, I think weddings are like having children. You listen to the advice being dished out and choose to doto what you want.

If you want an over the top extravaganza then go for it. It you want a small event then that is perfectly fine.

So long as you do what you want and have a great time who cares what people think.

There is family pressure, some are compelled/pressured into inviting all the aunties and uncles that you never see, its ridiculous. If a wedding is so special, you should have the people that mean something to you and that are involved in your life.
My niece has been pressured to invite family members she has not seen for at least 10 years.

Weddings must be a bonanza for the economy, just think of what the wedding costs the bride and groom plus you've got all the guests expenses: gifts purchased, suits/dresses purchased, hairdressers, flying in from around the country/world, accommodation, taxis, etc, etc.

What's the average divorce cost?

Maybe not such a bonanza for the economy, but certainly for the legal community.

Must be a pretty low key affair to spend $10k on a wedding given you tend to spend more than that before you even step into the church. To each their own - I've just been through the experience and it is a very harrowing one for the wallet.
Only if you want it to be.

MY SIL was married in a Pub in Prahran last year - rocked up with the Celebrant and asked some dude to be a witness. Done and dusted in about 10 mins, sms'd us the photos. But that's them and they were chuffed.

Shouted the bar a drink each just for being there - approx $500 for the day. Happy as fat spiders.

My own wedding was about $10k including honeymoon, from memory...maybe $11k.

Didn't cheap-@rse it, but didn't have 200 of my closest friends there, etc.

Last edited:
My wedding cost less than $100. No rings or honeymoon.

If I could do it all over again, I would probably spend a few extra thousand and elope on a holiday. We also would have basic wedding bands and slightly more presentable outfits.

Back