theft of light bulbs and smoke alarms

Hi all,

We recently had to evict some tenants for non payment of rent and there was a small amount of damage done to the house. In addition the tenants took all the light bulbs and smoke alarms with them.

I am looking at the insurance claim form and there is a note in there stating that theft of any items needs to be reported to the police. reporting the theft of these items seems to me a silly thing to report to the police however these were costly to replace and install.

has anyone experienced this in the past?

How much are we looking at?

Is it going to be more than your insurance claim excess (and any increases in premium)?

The Y-man

Theft is theft I'd report it to police, whether you claim from insurance is up to you, I'd take it out of the bond and not effect my excess with the insurance company.

Brian

at $10+/bulb for these new fluro lights, doesn't take long to add up to a few hundred! if there is anything left in the bond, take it out of that.

some tenants (or people in general) can be so small minded.

at $10+/bulb for these new fluro lights...

I guess I have only ever dealt with the 50 cent incandescents.

Even then, I just bought a one of these new fangled fluro things and it was "only" $5 from woolies.

Also, we mainly do units/apartments - so at most there would be 5 bulbs in the whole place?

Having said that, the smoke alarm thing is a bit rude.... I'd be a bit peeved if they did a runner with those.

The Y-man

this is because you are doing business with paupers to whom a light globe is a big deal

There aren't too many monied or intelligent people out there who want to rent houses. You may be fortunate in having good tenants and, if so, good luck to you. Most of us have to put up with this sort of cr@p.

at $10+/bulb for these new fluro lights, doesn't take long to add up to a few hundred! if there is anything left in the bond, take it out of that.

I know, it's just charming isn't it.

the purchase and replacement of these items cost about $150 however there are other small repairs etc which means the total repair bill is around $800.

we are with terri scheer who have the categories as loss of rent, malicious damage, accidental loss/dam, delib dam, and other. I assume theft would come under other? Would the cost to replace them all (performed by a handyman) also come under 'other'?

The entire cost will be $1800 made up of $800 rent and $1000 repairs. We have received the bond which covers $700 of it.

Bad behavour needs to be identified

theft of any items needs to be reported to the police. reporting the theft of these items seems to me a silly thing to report to the police however these were costly to replace and install.

1. Report the theft to the police.
2. Blacklist tentants for making a rental property unsafe eg. removal of fire alarms.
3. Write them a note stating that i) a theft has occurred at the property they rented and has been reported to police and ii) were they aware that in the event of a fire the removal of fire safety alarm would be seen as malicious and could conribute to someone's death.

Honestly - would you want to recommend these people to another landlord?

Regards
Sheryn

some landlords can be so small minded. why not charge them for the 3 squares of loo paper they stole?

1. Report the theft to the police.
2. Blacklist tentants for making a rental property unsafe eg. removal of fire alarms.
3. Write them a note stating that i) a theft has occurred at the property they rented and has been reported to police and ii) were they aware that in the event of a fire the removal of fire safety alarm would be seen as malicious and could conribute to someone's death.

Honestly - would you want to recommend these people to another landlord?

Regards
Sheryn

you will give the police much to laugh about around their lunch table. ' that greedy landlord tried to report stolen globes'

it might not seem fare, but that's life

Ed,

Why would you think smoke alarms getting pinched is "part of life" ?

or why are landlord's automatically greedy ?

Ed,

Why would you think smoke alarms getting pinched is "part of life" ?

Because they only cost about $10 at Coles.

or why are landlord's automatically greedy ?

Because landlords are wealthier than the average.

Since buying one house at a time is hard enough for the average Joe, to afford even just one IP must mean we're rolling in it, especially given house price increases.

There aren't too many monied or intelligent people out there who want to rent houses. You may be fortunate in having good tenants and, if so, good luck to you. Most of us have to put up with this sort of cr@p.

the more intelligent and monied tenants aren't much better than the ferals. It's just a dud investment - shocking cashflow, shocking clients, taxed to the hilt, socially isolated and hoping for asset inflation to pull you through.

you will give the police much to laugh about around their lunch table. ' that greedy landlord tried to report stolen globes'

it might not seem fare, but that's life

Ed

So you value people who steal others' property? You have written that a Landlord who reports stolen globes is greedy? Your post has identified you as someone with different values and beliefs...

I do not need to wonder who police talk about around their lunch table. ;)

How many tenants do you supply housing to Ed? How many rooms with light bulbs?

Sheryn

the more intelligent and monied tenants aren't much better than the ferals. It's just a dud investment - shocking cashflow, shocking clients, taxed to the hilt, socially isolated and hoping for asset inflation to pull you through.

Wow, You ALMOST sound as cool as Dazz does !!

Ed

So you value people who steal others' property? You have written that a Landlord who reports stolen globes is greedy? Your post has identified you as someone with different values and beliefs...

I do not need to wonder who police talk about around their lunch table. ;)

How many tenants do you supply housing to Ed? How many rooms with light bulbs?

Sheryn

"it might not seem fare, but that's life"

hardly identifies me as someone who values theft.

i just don't think the police will respond to stolen light globes. as i said that's not fare, but that's life.

i dont get why a tenant, moving to another place would want to steal smoke alarms, whatever place they move into must have smoke alarms in place when the new lease is signed

Probably the only reason anyone would report this to the police would be that in order to claim several hundred dollars worth of bulbs, the insurance company may insist that a report be made to the police.

So perhaps the sarcasm and dismay at wasted police resources should be directed towards the insurance company instead of the landlord?

Back