This is a bit Rich

We went out for my mother's birthday last night and got hit with $15 for corkage per bottle:eek: 12 people, perhaps 6 bottles of wine?? $90 on corkage.

I think that is pretty rich, mum paid, nonetheless I think this price for corkage is way over the top.

I would perhaps think $2-$5 OK, but $15, give me a break.

MTR:)

Market price is dictated by what the consumer will pay.

If you paid, and others paid $15 then.............

pinkboy

This is it. You paid, others paid, so they charge it.

I find it hard to believe the people who say how everyone is doing it so tough when I hear things like this.

Businesses are there to make money, and corkage is a labour cost and penalty for not purchasing from their menu.

Restaurant association has said before if I remember correctly that $15/bottle was a break even scenario.

If you think that's rich, look at the cost of drinking spirits. ;)

You made your own mother pay for her birthday drinks?? :eek:

I don't make my mother do anything;), Italian background, my mother pays because this is tradition, not sure if all Italians do this but we do, and I do the same with my children. Can't break that habit, good or bad, its here to stay:)

Businesses are there to make money, and corkage is a labour cost and penalty for not purchasing from their menu.

Restaurant association has said before if I remember correctly that $15/bottle was a break even scenario.

If you think that's rich, look at the cost of drinking spirits. ;)

$15 a bottle is rort.

What are the wait staff on? $20-$25 an hour, add 20% margin on top for the owner and call it $30. Is there really half an hour worth of effort in pouring a bottle of wine?

I have never brought my own wine to a restaurant but perhaps if they charged a more reasnoble amount more people would buy it from them? Some places charge by the glass the same amount you can buy a whole bottle from the bottle shop!

$15 a bottle is rort.

What are the wait staff on? $20-$25 an hour, add 20% margin on top for the owner and call it $30. Is there really half an hour worth of effort in pouring a bottle of wine?

I have never brought my own wine to a restaurant but perhaps if they charged a more reasnoble amount more people would buy it from them? Some places charge by the glass the same amount you can buy a whole bottle from the bottle shop!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...e-at-restaurants/story-fneuz92c-1226757449334

The glasses wash themselves, the lighting funds themselves, the seating allocation doesn't have a cost?

As has been said above, if people don't like it they can certainly just not pay it and buy in house wine.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fo...e-at-restaurants/story-fneuz92c-1226757449334

The glasses wash themselves, the lighting funds themselves, the seating allocation doesn't have a cost?

As has been said above, if people don't like it they can certainly just not pay it and buy in house wine.

I get that but your looking at it from the perspective of a business owner. You're trying to tell the customer what they should be thinking.

Wrong.

You're customers won't care if the spag bol is $1 more but they will feel cheated and ripped off if you try to get sneaky with stunts like $15 on corkage. There is a way to prosper and make money in business, being sneaky with your customers isn't one of them.

We went out for my mother's birthday last night and got hit with $15 for corkage per bottle:eek: 12 people, perhaps 6 bottles of wine?? $90 on corkage.

I think that is pretty rich, mum paid, nonetheless I think this price for corkage is way over the top.

I would perhaps think $2-$5 OK, but $15, give me a break.

Which restaurant was this? $15 is at the upper end but $2-5 is too low as well. Atm it's pretty tough making margin on food, a lot of restaurants rely on alcohol sales.

In house wine will probably be double the cost of what you would pay at your local bottle shop.

At the end of the day, yes they are operating a business and not a charity.

So why are some restaurants charging as little as $2 for corkage while others $10+??? Which one makes business sense?? What you may consider reasonable fee to pay may not be the case for someone else who is perhaps on a tighter budget??

Would the higher cost actually impact on the number of clients that come in the door?? Perhaps, for me if I love the food and the corkage is higher its not a major issue, but not all would be happy to do this.

Which restaurant was this? $15 is at the upper end but $2-5 is too low as well. Atm it's pretty tough making margin on food, a lot of restaurants rely on alcohol sales.

Golden Palace, Francis Street
Its not high end, however caters for weddings, not sure if that has anything to do with it??

As it was a public holiday I now understand why $15, did not realise this, still a tad high I think, but perhaps because never ever paid more than $10.

If you don't like it, don't take wine there. Pretty simple really.

If people pay it, they'll increase it to capitalise on it. If people don't pay it, they'll reduce it to a point where they will.

So why are some restaurants charging as little as $2 for corkage while others $10+??? Which one makes business sense?? What you may consider reasonable fee to pay may not be the case for someone else who is perhaps on a tighter budget??

Would the higher cost actually impact on the number of clients that come in the door?? Perhaps, for me if I love the food and the corkage is higher its not a major issue, but not all would be happy to do this.
As sanj has said, margins are so tight on food that they rely on alcohol to make their profit. If you're doing BYO, then they don't want you to come back - unless you're willing to pay the corkage - because you're not profitable custom.

I've not seen corkage under $10 a bottle for a very long time.

With the talk of $2 and $15 corkage, wouldn't the $2 be per glass, where the $15 is for the bottle. How many glasses of wine per bottle?

I'm guessing $2 per glass covers a few bottles being drunk, whereas $15 per bottle would add up quickly if you drink a few bottles.

I'm guessing the $2 per glass might cover the cost of somebody having to set them out, clear them, wash them up etc. I don't mind paying that. I wouldn't want to pay per bottle though because I see that as double dipping, unless new glasses come with each new bottle.

I don't mind paying for what I get and if I bring my own wine, I'm happy to pay some corkage.

Back