Tiling over tiles in bathroom

I have a small ensuite bathroom off one of the downstairs bedrooms at home. All the other bathrooms have been renovated except this one, which I think I might have a go at doing myself over the upcoming holiday break. (famous last words :p) I should get a tiler to do it but I get bored easily over the holiday break.

I'll be tiling over existing floor tiles (the brown ones in the pic). Wall tiles are OK as they are.

Can anyone point me to a video or a youtube vid or give some advice on how to do the drain & cover? i.e, how do I remove it now and reinstall it later after the new tiles go in?

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• EnsuiteBath.jpg
    EnsuiteBath.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 375
I’m in the process of doing this for the um-teens time.

Remove the inner part of the grating (use a cold chisel or something similar)
Tap gently until is start to turn.

With an angle grinder score the surface of the tiles, this gives much better adhesion than a glassed surface.

Apply water proofing membrane to scored tile and run down into the open floor waste.

Purchase a new floor waste and cut it down to allow for the thickens of the new tiles and adhesive.

Place the new floor waste ( witch is know just the outside ring and internal removable center, the same part as the one removed originally ) over the outlet using tile adhesive so that it matches the height of the new tiles.

Gerd

Thanks so much Gerd! :)

2 x Q's:
1. Is it really necessay to waterproof over the top of the existing tiles since the old membrane under the existing tiles is not leaking?
2. Do I need to glue the new floor waste to the old one somehow?

Cheers, Alan

Doing it as suggested means that should water leaking through the tiled shower base it will go down the waste as apposed to stopping at the outside of the waste.

Running the waterproof membrane into the waste also gives you a surface that the adhesive can adhere to. Once the shower base area has been grouted it will lock in the new waste.

Gerd

Reactions: BV
Hi Propertunity
I would add acid wash the existing tiles with a 10:1 water and hydrochloric acid mix first. You can mop it on with an old mop. Leave for several minutes then mop off with water. It removes soap scum, fats etc. Forms a clean surface for your waterproofing (if you go down this path) or tile prep (looks like tile glue but you brush/broom it on , let it dry then glue tiles down on top of it - available from tile shops) . I just did (or rather my tiler did) a reno on a block of units using this prep then glue tiles down method. Very easy, very cheap and looks beaut. I have a feeling he left the old floor waste fitting in and only removed the grate. Then just slid the new (square one IS easier) floor waste fitting into the existing fitting, then tiled around the new fitting with the tile glue and grout, securing new floor waste fitting.

We also raked out all of the old wall tile grout and regrouted. Finisged it off nicely.:)

Great thread, thanks to all the responders. I have often wondered about doing this, and now it doesn't sound so hard! (Which is what i say just before i get myself into trouble...)

if yu dont made it waterproof , than they will cameout from the celling when water goes beyond them , you better make them water proof .
I don't know if I want to put a 2nd membrane in the shower.
Initallly I was actually thinking of gluing them with nice white silicone...:D
I'm only doing the floor though

I did this in one IP a while ago and just a word of warning....make sure you have a good face/breathing mask when scoring the old tiles with that grinder...makes a terrible stinky dust that you just "know" is toxic.....
Need good earmuffs too....!

But yes, as described above is the way I did it and the tiles are stuck hard still...!
;)

There are a number of adhesives that will adhere to glazed tiles & similar, providing they are CLEAN.

Tiles on a shower base have had body acids & soap deposited on them over time.

The shower base tiles over time, have received microscopic cracks in the glaze.

No tile adhesive on the market that I know of is recommended to be used over existing tiles without appropriate preparation.

Gerd

The last 2 days (27th & 28th) we had in Sydney were cold, overcast and occassionally rainy, and with Christmas over, I decided to make a start.

The shower recess is in and grouted and I've managed about 1/3 of the floor so far. Now that the shower is back in working order, I can take my time and do a bit more when the weather turns too bad to be at the beach :)

...and before lizzie gets on my case about black & white chequerboard style flooring, it matches the other 2 bathrooms in the house which were done about 5 years ago - and they aren't candidates to be redone just yet ;):D

Attachments

• ShowerRecess.jpg
    ShowerRecess.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 328
  • FloorStarted.jpg
    FloorStarted.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 302
and before lizzie gets on my case about black & white chequerboard style flooring

I must say, I'm not really a fan of the black and white chequerboard flooring either, but compared to the brown tiles there it does look much better! Nice work. Sometimes I wish I was handy enough to be able to do little bits of stuff like that, but I'm sure I'd just make a mess if I tried.

Back