Tiling over tiles - tile to carpet transition

Has anyone had experience with tiling over tiles and resolving the transition between an increased height in the tiles and lower height in the carpet? Is there a special edge trim for this? Ideally one to transition the step?

Yes, it's called transition strip! Or diminishing strip. Goes from tile height (6-12mm generally) down to about 2mm in little steps. Is about 20mm wide and most widely used is aluminium. Think you can get brass, but that's exy.

pinkboy

And they're available from all good tiling suppliers.

This should be par for the course for a good tiling salesperson:

a) sell you a tile
b) sell you the adhesive (work out what you are laying the tiles over & recommend the most appropriate mixture)
c) sell the accessories - diminishing strips, tile spacers, external corners, floor grates, brass/aluminum finishing strips or expansion joint, sealant....
d) tools for diy

VB, this happened in our reno last year, some previous owner had gone over the ensuite tiles without removing the originals creating a double height as you describe.

The carpet layer had a double height "ramp" if you like that was probably 4-6 inches wide (can't quite remember) that led the carpet up to the new height.

Can't even tell it's a double height.

Otherwise live with the step with aluminium angle finish on new tiles. Many houses have a small step up to tiles, I have about 15mm to bathroom, 10mm to kitchen. Many new homes on slab to my surprise don't even bother lowering the slab in the bathroom so carpet and tiles meet at same height - how cheap! And some of those are 25mm :(

Otherwise live with the step with aluminium angle finish on new tiles. Many houses have a small step up to tiles, I have about 15mm to bathroom, 10mm to kitchen. Many new homes on slab to my surprise don't even bother lowering the slab in the bathroom so carpet and tiles meet at same height - how cheap! And some of those are 25mm :(

Ouch! How do you feel when you kick your toe on those?

pinkboy

Wouldn't think this type of edge will suit you if you are tiling on top of tiles.

This will give you double height and as such you should use the type of strip that goes on top of the tiles and the carpet.

Something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...2-in-Carpet-Trim-18548/100198103?N=5yc1vZbnar

Cheers
That one seems to stand out a bit.. was after more of a seamless look..
I agree it looks cheap, but seems to be very common with older units I've seen, so I'm ok with it. That's at the bathroom to hallway transition.

But the kitchen to lounge room transition I'd like to have flush. The diminishing strip linked above should be ok?
Only problem I see is its not supported under on the carpet side, so if a stiletto shoe was to step on it the tile may crack or get levered up before the strip bends?

Only problem I see is its not supported under on the carpet side, so if a stiletto shoe was to step on it the tile may crack or get levered up before the strip bends?

Tiler *should be filling the underside void of the strip with adhesive!

*I say that very loosely

pinkboy

Back