Tips on reviewing tenants in person

We initially used Denise, a REA who advertised for tenants for us earlier this year. Now, those tenants are moving out, we've advertised for new tenants and have had over 10 calls so far.

We're having a viewing tomorrow, and are thinking of how to match the potential tenants to their applications later. Obviously impressions count, and short of asking them to pose for a pic on the camera and furiously writing down any comments ....

Would it be sufficient to ask for a name, and write it down, then hope to recall the first impressions later? Any tips for doing this?

We initially used Denise, a REA who advertised for tenants for us earlier this year. Now, those tenants are moving out, we've advertised for new tenants and have had over 10 calls so far.

We're having a viewing tomorrow, and are thinking of how to match the potential tenants to their applications later. Obviously impressions count, and short of asking them to pose for a pic on the camera and furiously writing down any comments ....

Would it be sufficient to ask for a name, and write it down, then hope to recall the first impressions later? Any tips for doing this?

Interesting problem. Acutally I don't think the photo would be such a bad thing, we do this with our students for so we can learn their names... There might be some funny comments about chosing by looks but if I was going through this as a tenenat I would feel that someone is really making an effort to make up their mind and screen everyone in detail. But even without photos I often find some small comments on the applications (about what was said) should be enough to jog your memory re. who's who.

Good luck!

kaf

Maybe jot down something to jog your memory in pencil on the back of each group's application form. Nothing derogatory or even descipherable to anyone else. Maybe "red ++" for the man in the red shirt whose first impression was favourable - or "h/a no" for the hells angel looking chap you didn't like.

We have never had so many applicants that this has been an issue, but if you are interviewing more than a couple, you need to keep tabs, but I think a photo is a bit over the top. We also generally try to have more than one of us at the open for inspection so that we can jog each other's memory and gauge each other's reactions.

When we have opens, if we like what we see, we grab them then and there. Gut instinct is usually pretty good.

Wylie

Chances are you won't need to remember 10 applicants as maybe only a couple will be seriosuly interested. Those seriosuly interested tend to ask more questions and it is likely you will remember them.

It may sound daunting but at the time it can become quite simple when a couple of applicants really stand out. As is usually the case.

Paguatao,

Here is a good thread that gives some tips on evaluating potential tenants.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32858

I am just going through the process of finding a new tenant and only had 2 applicants and a couple dozen phone calls over 2 weeks. I am happy with 1 of the applicants so am going to sign them up tomorrow but had to laugh as I rang them up this morning (monday) to say they could have the place and then I had over a dozen calls during the day enquiring about the property. I think this is because many property managers don't work the weekends, so in future I am going to have opens on Monday as well.

Thanks for the help. We ended up getting only 4 groups through. We've received 2 applications so far, but ..... quality is a bit lacking. One couple has an application in with wages of $700 per week ( I am assuming it is gross), for a rent of $235 per week....

There doesn't seem to be a way for private landlords to do a tenancy database check? I found a Landlord's Advisory Service, but you have to join for $300, get kits etc.

We're still having problems with our tenants (first tenants in first IP), they were late in rent, never returned our calls, avoided our calls when we rang .... their lease is up, they've moved out and they still owe us rent! Plus we have to organise to get the carpets cleaned, try and get their new phone numbers/address, get the keys back .... it's a real nightmare

Last edited:
It may be take home pay rather than gross.. Many people don't think in terms of gross (they never see the tax paid)

You could ask them to give you a copy of their credit report I guess.

Or if you are concerned about your selection of tenants you could get a PM to help with the tenant selection process but not necessarily use them for ongoing management.

The first tenants you mentioned...have you employed a debt company to chase them for the overdue rent? It can be placed on their credit record if they fail to meke payment. How much money are you talking?

Just rate them 1-10. However, it's only a small part of the equation. Looking in their car is better, it's how your property will look inside in 3 months.
good luck
crest133

Looking in their car is better, it's how your property will look inside in 3 months.
crest133

Hope nobody ever has to judge how we keep our house by looking at our car :eek:

I don't think you can generalise. We, as a family, have just disproved your theory. We keep our house well, but our car is a whole other story :D

Wylie

Plenty of prospective tenants are wide awake to that too! I know I was - always made sure the car was clean and we were dressed nicely when going on inspections. A bit like job interviews :eek: Our car is usually a mess though :eek: It worked too - we rented one place that had 10 applicants - though the good secure job I had then would've helped also.

Just rate them 1-10. However, it's only a small part of the equation. Looking in their car is better, it's how your property will look inside in 3 months.
good luck
crest133

They owed 3 weeks rent, plus left the carpet cleaning up to us ... so I guess we have to deduct from the bond, which we are in the process of doing now. Also, they left no forwarding address, changed their number, then don't answer their new mobile...... just great!

According to the Residential Tenancies Act, a tenant can be fined up to $1000 for not leaving a forwarding address and for not paying the rent, with the intention that it is to be recovered from the bond.

We've had the water meter read, are we able to claim the cost of the special water meter reading from the tenant, or is this something that the landlord has to pay?

Last edited:
Residential Tenancy Act - Form 6 - bond money

I work in the same building as the Magistrates Court in Perth, popped down to Level 3 to lodge the Form 6 Application for Disposal of Bond Money. Am told that I have to take it to the court nearest to the address of the rental premises - Rockingham???!!! :confused: :mad:

Doesn't make sense, does it? Where is the logic in this? What are our politicians thinking?

Am told that it's stated in the Residential Tenancies Act WA 1987, but NOT on any justice website, or application form.

RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 1987 - SECT 13
Place of proceedings
13 . Place of proceedings

Any proceedings to be brought before a magistrate sitting in the Small Disputes Division shall be instituted in that Division of the local court held nearest to the place where the premises the subject of the proceedings are situated or, by consent of both parties, of any other local court.

As you know after handling enough tenancies and applications and mopping up enough disasters, there's no single magic bullet in vetting tenants, you need a whole arsenal and use it.
cheers
crest133

When we advertise for tenants viewing them and recognizing according to their applications is a bit hard process. So, i think viewing them by a photo is better or we also generally try to have more than one of us at the open for inspection to remember.

Hello Paguatao,

I don't know your circumstances, but this thread shows me why we have a dedicated PM to handle this sort of thing.

We had one tenant who was in rental arrears, the PM tried unsuccessfully to contact 3 times and eventually found out he'd left Australia for sunny Texas USA after owing 3 businesses in SE QLD substantial amounts of money!! :( He'd left the IP in a right state with grotty furniture etc. The PM handled the entire affair and our landlords insurance caught the rent default (well; some anyway; ye olde excess came into play :rolleyes: ).

Regarding capturing prospective tenants personal details - how does this stand with respect to Privacy of Information legislation? Anyone savvy on this?? :confused:

Back