Tod Peterson - Buyers Agent NT

Will check around with some of the RE's I know and see what they reckon but I can tell you he is not the only person helping people buy property located in Darwin. How soon do you need to know?

G'day folk,

Was wondering if any of the forum goers have had personal or had friends/family that have used Tod Peterson who runs a buyers agent company in NT

http://petersonspropertysearch.com.au/

Feel free to reply to this thread or PM myself

Kind Regards,

Ridin-High

If you are in the market for a Darwin property there is a few memebers on the forum that have a lot on knowledge of the market and they would have no trouble helping out with some local knowledge, even going the distance to check things out if you asked nice enuff :) .... There will be very good times ahead for the Darwin market, plus the yields are good to...

If you are in the market for a Darwin property there is a few memebers on the forum that have a lot on knowledge of the market and they would have no trouble helping out with some local knowledge, even going the distance to check things out if you asked nice enuff :) .... There will be very good times ahead for the Darwin market, plus the yields are good to...

Very true. I'm in Darwin and happy to have a look at a particular property - take a few extra piccies and give my opinion for what it's worth. Although I don't really follow the market up here too closely, my wife is a PM so can give you that perspective also.

Cheers,
Phil

Ohhh good stuff, Whats area's are good for around the 250-300k mark?

From your post, I gather that you want to know what areas you can buy into with these figures,

Well hope you dont want a house, 250-300K will only just get you a unit these days, most of these will be in the Palmerston area approx 17kms from Darwin CBD.

Houses seem to start at around the 320k for the dog boxs in the palmerston area, not to sure what you will pay closer to the CBD, but Palmerston is where it is all happening, thats really the only way Darwin can grow so the next 10yrs will be very interesting....

Ohhh good stuff, Whats area's are good for around the 250-300k mark?

As Burty85 already mentioned, for that money I would be looking at a unit / duplex. The good points are that vacancy rates are low and the yields are pretty good. I think 'Want to be Wealthy' on this forum owns a couple of units up here (from memory). Perhaps send him a PM to see what his opinions are.

Cheers,

Phil :)

As Burty85 already mentioned, for that money I would be looking at a unit / duplex. The good points are that vacancy rates are low and the yields are pretty good. I think 'Want to be Wealthy' on this forum owns a couple of units up here (from memory). Perhaps send him a PM to see what his opinions are.

Cheers,

I’m sure WTBW will be happy to shed some light on his Investments in the Darwin market, I also own property up there and currently waiting on the banks to pre approve me some more $$$ and will be buying back into the Darwin market ASAP, will be limited now to what I can afford now that the prices have had a good increase the last 6 months, despite what all the D&G's saying prices are crashing, just depends where you investing really...

Units in the Palmerston area are what I will most likely be targeting for my next IP, however if I can find a lower end house I will consider it with plans to do a reno if the future (something I have always want to do)....

From your post, I gather that you want to know what areas you can buy into with these figures,

Well hope you dont want a house, 250-300K will only just get you a unit these days, most of these will be in the Palmerston area approx 17kms from Darwin CBD.

Houses seem to start at around the 320k for the dog boxs in the palmerston area, not to sure what you will pay closer to the CBD, but Palmerston is where it is all happening, thats really the only way Darwin can grow so the next 10yrs will be very interesting....

Spot on Burty,

From one of my earlier posts.

Darwin was rebuilt with the idea of no lower socio economic suburbs. In other words most of the older suburbs that were rebuilt or developed pre 90's have housing commission (has new name now) spread through out them. Most streets have a mixture of good quality houses that attract good tenants but also have the type of tenants you really want to avoid.

Three areas that have a higher portion of bottom end 1 or 2 br units are Nightcliff, Rapid Creek and Coconut grove. Occasionally there are blocks of units for sale in these two areas but you need to be very careful about the quality of the tenants. All three Coconut Grove, Rapid Creek and especially Nightcliff also have your top end of the market houses and units with one street that runs along the coast line and offers spectacular views.

Recently last 10 years certain areas in the Northern suburbs, Malak and Karama have had more than their fare share of bad publicity due to roaming street gangs.

Leanyer is a nice suburb but has a severe problem with mosquitos as it backs on too swamp land.

An area that is considered the golden triangle (Nakara and Tiwi) has its points as Casuarina shops, NT university and Royal Darwin Hospital. Very well sort after by tenants as all 3 are basically within 20 minutes walk of each other. It is mainly lower to middle market with some upper market houses.

Brinkin is a suburb beside the university and next to the beach, with middle to upper market. Houses over looking the beach/cliffs will set you back close to the 1million mark or more.

A popular area for white collar govt workers or business owners is Parap and the more up market area of Fanny Bay. City workers who don't want to drive to work will look at areas like Stuart Park and Larrakeyah.

The following suburbs are predominantly middle market, Milner, Jingli, Moil, Anula and Wulagi. The following areas I would hesitate about buying in are Wanguri and Alawa although close to Casuarina Shops have been know to have the odd bit of trouble tenant wise. Two other areas not on my books are Ludmilla and The Narrows as they are beside the airport and Ludmilla is nearly under the flight plan.

There are new developments such as Bay Haven near the city (middle to up) and a new suburb next to the hospital that I'm not up to date on.

The satellite city of Palmerston was originally known as slumerston and marketed towards lower economic families but also filled with quality DHA houses. As it has grown more quality housing estates have been developed plus a second university campus. Unfortunately there is not a lot for kids to do and you can guess the rest. This is definitely a hit and miss area in regards to quality of tenants either side of your investment property.

Long term residents of Darwin started heading out towards places like Humpty Doo, Howard Springs, Berry Springs and Darwin River etc with to escape the hassles of living in the suburbs next to undesirable neighbors. These areas also have 2-20 acre blocks for peace and quiet.

Darwin is regarded as the most transient city in Australia. Where approximately 80% of the population change every 5 years. A high number of public servants, defense personnel and university students come up for a few years and then leave. A lot has to do with the thinking that it is still considered a mans town, isolation and lack of facilities although this image has changed a bit in the last 15 years after developments of a few air conditioned shopping centres, etc.

Darwin is definitely a love or hate place with no middle road.

From one of my earlier posts.

Darwin was rebuilt with the idea of no lower socio economic suburbs. In other words most of the older suburbs that were rebuilt or developed pre 90's have housing commission (has new name now) spread through out them. Most streets have a mixture of good quality houses that attract good tenants but also have the type of tenants you really want to avoid.

Agree.

Y33 said:
Three areas that have a higher portion of bottom end 1 or 2 br units are Nightcliff, Rapid Creek and Coconut grove. Occasionally there are blocks of units for sale in these two areas but you need to be very careful about the quality of the tenants. All three Coconut Grove, Rapid Creek and especially Nightcliff also have your top end of the market houses and units with one street that runs along the coast line and offers spectacular views.

Agree - I would not buy thinking "seaside" in these areas. Even though it is close to the water they have enormous troubles with itinerants and violence. I really hesitate to recommend Nightcliff even though it has the potential to be an amazing suburb because the itinerant problem is getting worse and worse (over the last decade) and is sure to deteriorate further.

Y33 said:
Recently last 10 years certain areas in the Northern suburbs, Malak and Karama have had more than their fare share of bad publicity due to roaming street gangs.

Leanyer is a nice suburb but has a severe problem with mosquitos as it backs on too swamp land.

I would avoid the Northern suburbs altogether. I grew up there in the 80's and 90's. The houses are very small, block sizes are generous though, but there is very little to recommend the Northern suburbs over a suburb like Durack, Gunn or Rosebery in Palmerston - they are all roughly the same driving time to the CBD for example. These three suburbs also have no public housing.

Y33 said:
Brinkin is a suburb beside the university and next to the beach, with middle to upper market. Houses over looking the beach/cliffs will set you back close to the 1million mark or more.

Don't think you'd get anything overlooking the beach/cliffs at the end of Trower Road anywhere near $1million. $2million entry price (if anything ever comes up - its tightly held - I know long-term Darwin doctors who live along there).

Y33 said:
A popular area for white collar govt workers or business owners is Parap and the more up market area of Fanny Bay. City workers who don't want to drive to work will look at areas like Stuart Park and Larrakeyah.

Upmarket versions of the Northern Suburbs in my opinion. All struggling with itinerant problems but luckily an announcement was made recently about demolishing public housing units in Parap. Parap has great potential if you can buy at the right price because of this, I believe.

Y33 said:
The following suburbs are predominantly middle market, Milner, Jingli, Moil, Anula and Wulagi. The following areas I would hesitate about buying in are Wanguri and Alawa although close to Casuarina Shops have been know to have the odd bit of trouble tenant wise. Two other areas not on my books are Ludmilla and The Narrows as they are beside the airport and Ludmilla is nearly under the flight plan.

I am really surprised by this. I don't see any difference in Wanguri and Alawa and have never heard of any issues different to any of the other Northern suburbs.

Y33 said:
There are new developments such as Bay Haven near the city (middle to up) and a new suburb next to the hospital that I'm not up to date on.

The suburb is called Bayview. It was good buying not long ago. It is very expensive now although I think a townhouse at around the 700k level on the water would be a good buy if you can still find one.

The suburb near the hospital is Lyons. It's a masterplanned suburb like Durack in Palmerston. I would steer WELL CLEAR of this suburb. It is adjacent to the Northern Suburbs, very far from the CBD (longer driving time than Palmerston) and many people have seriously overcapitalised there due to ridiculous land prices and spiralling building costs. Entry level here is about $650-700k for a house and it really doesn't get you much compared to something like Durack. A few have spent as much as $1million here on land and house and are finding it impossible to sell. There are very few buyers at any price in Lyons - which makes sense - you can buy in adjacent Northern suburbs like Leanyer for as little as $400k on a similarly sized block. The only advantage Lyons has is that the houses are brand new ...

Y33 said:
The satellite city of Palmerston was originally known as slumerston and marketed towards lower economic families but also filled with quality DHA houses. As it has grown more quality housing estates have been developed plus a second university campus. Unfortunately there is not a lot for kids to do and you can guess the rest. This is definitely a hit and miss area in regards to quality of tenants either side of your investment property.

Palmerslum is the word you are looking for. Unfortunately those with that sort of opinion have been proven wrong ... it is growing extraordinarily fast and the Masterplanned suburbs of Durack and Gunn are fantastic (where I live and invest). I don't agree with what you've said here. Durack and Gunn have enormous amounts of open space, no itinerant problem and there is lots for young kids to do - very family friendly areas. Just don't buy in Moulden, Gray or Driver.

I am getting $700 a week for a house in Durack and my PPOR here is worth ~$600 a week as well.

Y33 said:
approximately 80% of the population change every 5 years.

This is absolutely untrue. Where did you get this information?

Anyone interested in investing in Darwin feel free to PM to me and I will do my best to help. I've lived here my whole life (28 years) and have approx $1.6million in investment properties here.

aw1,

Thanks for updating some of the info.

Spending more time OS than in Darwin over the last 12 years has probably lessened my knowledge of all the latest problems and developments. Then again I normally do get back a few times a year for a month or 2 at a time and always check out the current real estate situation.

Missed out on a certain property over looking the beach in 2006/7 which was just under million mark so my figure there could be a bit out. The one beside the vacant block although the one on the corner of Trower and Brinkin or Hibernia did also catch my eye.

Wanguri especially around the Unit blocks and Alawa were both allocated extra police patrols before Malak and Karama took over.

I did mention was originally and then later more quality when referring to Palmerston. Also 20 years ago Palmerston was definitely know as slumerston and a few other names depending on where you worked and what age group. Maybe Palmerslum was one of those other names or became more popular later. You would have been about 8 years old or a teenager at the time. There was definitely a lack of facilities for kids when I was working that area and recent conversations with some ex coworkers tell me the problems still exist thus the extra resources committed to the area and the Police station.

The sentence should have read 'population previously changed' and if you check with the stats from Australia Post you will see this was definitely true prior to 15 years ago. Another interesting stat for you is that Darwin has the highest ratio of people to population that attend University than any other city in OZ but also has ahigh % of interstate and overseas students. When I was at University there were approximately 200 students in one of my courses and less than 10% had lived in Darwin for more than 5 years. If you consider how many defence personel/govt employees and defence families, interstate and OS students plus people that come up for the dry season and then leave again the number is more understandable. Darwin's population has gone from 86,000 (91) to around 120,000 (08). Even RDH use to have a retention rate of less than 90% of medical and allied health staff. My understanding is that number has improved significantly but still not good.

Congratulations on attaining $1.6 million in property by such a young age. Still a fair bit behind me but I was there before you were born so had a good head start but I didn't start real investing in Darwin until you were probably about 20. Would your LVR ratio be above or below 30%?

There seems to be a few Darwinites on SS and so maybe we can collectively provide SS members with good information about investing in Darwin.

Hehe keep it civil lads!

Got a quote on the fee's properties under $400,000, 10k.

I do have a thread open about interstate properties i'll post their on some thoughts

Regs,

RH

Ridin-High,

Definitely keeping it civil. Just friendly territorian banter brought on by generation gap most likely.

Hi Guys and Gals

I would like to return to Darwin once I find work up there.

I am horrified to see what prices are up there now.

I had a unit in Larrakeyah which I sold fo 230K 4 years ago, House in Anula sold for 220K about the same time.

Now it seems I need to spend at least 400K and upwards, add to that one of the highest states for stamp duty, like 30K for 550K.

I had 2 acres in Southport that was sold for 90k, 3 years ago.

I am thinking my money is better spent buying a few acres outside of Darwin. For around the same dollars I can get a few acres.

I just need to come up with a job back there and then about 150K for deposit and costs.

Cheers

Now it seems I need to spend at least 400K and upwards, add to that one of the highest states for stamp duty, like 30K for 550K.

Cheers

Would appear that it still a "Territory" not a state yet, all those southerns havent yet passed that referendum thank god, if they do that would be a lot of ppl up for some big land tax!!

:D

If I was planning to reside permanently in Darwin, that is what I would be looking for also. http://www.thegrangeonstuart.com/

IMO (and I've invested here as well) you'd be better off buying in Marlow Lagoon than The Grange on Stuart. The Grange (in Humpty Doo) is a long drive from the city.

Marlow Lagoon is a suburb of Palmerston and very central (15-20 min drive to Darwin CBD, 2 mins to Palmerston CBD).

It was very cheap a few years ago (think 100k for 2 acres) and prices have skyrocketed but it is still very cheap compared to other areas with acreages this close to the city.

http://www.marlowcountry.com/stage4release.asp

Knuckey Lagoon which is not far away has had a sale of $2.35 million which I believe was a big house on 10 acres. There is also a property for sale there for $4 million (1800sqm house). A vacant 5 acre lot is around $750k from memory. This is the sort of potential I believe Marlow Lagoon has.

Some staggering homes are being built in Marlow Lagoon at the moment. One of them looked like they were building a primary school! :eek:

Back