Tod Peterson - Buyers Agent NT

By the way, I was thinking if any like-minded Darwin property investors wanted to get together to discuss things at some stage that would be really interesting!

I'm of the opinion at the moment that Inpex is not going to do a lot for property prices (affordability ceiling has already been reached) but may have put a floor under any potential falls in price. I can't see Darwin moving again until it has had a period of a few years of stagnant prices. I worked as an analyst programmer in land information for a number of years and looking at the data I think the past has been quite consistent with what I'm predicting for the future.

There are still some gems around though. I always have my eye out for that occasional property that gets offered ridiculously underpriced. Not long ago that was a 2 storey 3 bedroom house in woolner for $445k and later a 3 bedroom house in Woolner for $460k. More recently it was an elevated house on a big corner block in Nightcliff for $400k! Naturally they are usually gone within 24 hours.

My biggest regret was missing out on a townhouse on the Esplanade in 2006 which was up for $985k. The owner had paid $600k for it in 1980 when it was built! These are the ones near the Knuckey St intersection (the only townhouses on the Esplanade that I am aware of). Each has their own 850sqm lot and are large and beautifully finished. I was planning to buy it and sell it very quickly as I knew it was massively undervalued - just the typical result of a poor quality real estate agent. We were a bit late on our finance and it went from under us. A townhouse in the complex (of 4) sold 3 months later for $1.5 million. They would fetch upwards of $2 million now.

aw1,

Was the elevated one in NC on Chapman? If so you are probably better off not getting that one.

As an analyst have you noticed that when major projects appear to be within a few years of finishing the next major project is announced?

For example, Robertson, Cullen Bay, East point arm, Railway, Wharf Precinct, Inpex etc. Any ideas on what the next big development is and where?

Well theres also 3 more that Im aware of,
Harbourtown shopping complex at Berrimah to be completed in 2010, water complex at Palmerston (not sure where) and another shopping complex in Bakewell with major outlets, thats good news for me because I just bought there before I had any knowledge this was the case.

Im predicting standard 7% growth over the next 3 years but am hoping for more,
My first unit purchased 18 months ago was bought at the peak of the 'boom' and has done very well and continues to move up in value, I havent felt any effect of this so called stagnation or downturn, the equity aquired throughout ownership has allowed me to purchase 2 more properties. there are many factors driving up prices here that isnt happening anywhere else, Darwin often works the opposite of other states in terms of price and growth factors, some might say were partly shielded from the global financial crisis.

Remember we have the strongest employment growth with high wage earners in the country at present, high yields, shortage of housing, highest population growth per cappater, etc

Even 'if' we dont see any growth for the next few years Ill personally be o.k but I dont think thats very realistic.

W2BW,

Keep them coming I'm sure there are a few more probably to be announced over the next 6 months. The last quarter saw a 6% increase in prices overall. Still trying to find where I saw that.

Y33,

The last purchase I made was almost a desperate one,
I was looking for a few months and everything I found to be of interest either was bidded up by buyers or had already gone under contract so I can see why weve had the gowth we have over the last quarter. .
The market was pretty hectic at that point in time and the agents I was talking to all said the same thing, they couldnt see any effect of the crisis affecting us and it was buisness as usual,

Now I read from HTW that Darwin has the longest sitting period for property at present, taking the longest time to sell than anywhere in Australia. . ! Im not sure wheather or not to actually believe this as it wasnt my personal experience at all, very much the opposite.

I should edit that last post, just looked again for last month on HTW market report and were currently in a rising market, just as I thought, last month in API the report was the opposite though?

Just an update,

Recieved an email from this BA a few days about an investors grant and he is meeting with some developer that can organise a house/land package in the low 400's.

I emailed him back with my views on OTP property, he replied acknowledging the risks involved with OTP. He mentioned that NT is different

a few copy pastes from the email below

"You are right .Buying off plan can be a dicey situation, when I look back and see how that has played out in other capital cities. This surprisingly has not been the case with Darwin as it is a unique market. The point to note is that there is a chronic shortage of residential land, along with an extremely low vacancy rate ,less than0.3% in some areas. That’s why some sellers are happy to end up renting their properties out if they do not get their price"

"Anyone who approaches me about selling their property I take with a grain of salt. They are all very positive about their property and are happy to tell me about all the good features. I do my own objective research to the point of wanting to find mistakes, so it puts us in a stronger position if it comes to negotiating."

Got another email just today reakons he has conducted DD on the developer and thinks all is good.

Opinions from seasoned NT investors on these comments please?

Are you thinking units or houses? (Reread and saw house and land packages)

IMO, Darwin has an oversupply of units being built and coming on the market in the CBD.

As with most things there are some good developers around but there are also some to be careful of. Make sure your BA is independent as Darwin suffers from exceptionally high BYD's and KB's.

History lesson: After CT in 74 they handed out builders licences to anyone that basically wanted one. A shortage of building materials saw an unusual amount of asbestos being used by certain builders.

If you have any doubts about your developer just ring the city office and ask to speak to a building inspector or anyone in OHS and they should give you a quick run down.

If you are not a Darwinite I can understand why you'd want to use a buyers agent, but Darwin is such a small place you will find people here who can offer more valuable (and independent) advice. If you have built a house here you learn who the good and the bad are very quickly.

I built my PPOR here in 2005 along with everyone else in my street (was a new street). There was quite a representative sample of local builders used. I am happy to give you the run down of who to avoid and who you can be comfortable with, but not publically (just PM me). There was a builder that built a house in my street here that would call/threaten/abuse their past customers if they had a bad word to say about them to others.

Low 400's is optimistic if you want something that will hold together. Assuming land price of $180k (which is the current minimum), you're left with a build price in the low to mid 200's including landscaping/driveway/window fittings. The only person I know that spent this little (by leaving practically everything out) has a 2 year old house that has termites (no termite protection included), plumbing leaks that have turned the ceiling to mush and left gaping holes in some places, concrete that is so thin that it has fallen apart and the builder will not rectify any of it. Build costs here are a lot higher than other states.

You'd get a basic but good quality 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home with land for high $400's with one of the better builders that won't leave you in the lurch. Might even sneak in 4 beds under $500k.

Even with the buildstart grant, you'll find existing homes in established suburbs are much better value. The only upside to building (other than upfront depreciation claimed) is that long term tenants like DHA and NT Police prefer new homes and will pay a premium rent for them.

Adam

Moving Back to Darwin

Hi guys,

Looks like I have a job back in the NT, will find out this week. It is a NT Government job with NT Police. i wish they offered housing like they did years ago. Also have to get use to a wage around 60k. Its a 20k plus pay cut for me.

So a lot of thinking will need to be done. Due to the economy and the wage figure I am going to try and sell all my properties and hope I can find a block of land for about 150k and build a humpy for the next few years. Or find something with vendor finance.

But trying to find land under 150K 30 to 45 mins from Darwin is going to be a big ask.

I might try a Buyers Agent, however I have a month or so up my sleeve yet.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah a block at Marakai maybe.. it's tough, hope you find something. But where are you being posted? Humpty Doo? That's just down the road.. :) Otherwise Palmerston but yeah anywhere else is getting a bit much.

i have a block of dirt at fanny bay with nice sea views...your welcome to buy two survey pegs for $200k but thats about it currently. :)

madness south of darwin is right.........friend of mine just trippled her outlay with three properties in under 42 months last week, sold out and cashed up. each property sold in under 7 days...none have fallen over yet....she was happy to bail and sit on the sidelines.

some nice homes in palmerston but as others have said there are plenty of absolute dogs there as well.

Yeah there is nothing for 150k anywhere. Land prices start at about 200K, might be lucky to pick something up for about 180K but thats a house block in Rosebery, rather than a large rural block. Rural blocks 250K+

Forgot to mention, NT Police still do offer a housing allowance, or will head lease a property on your behalf (no cost to you) - depending on who you are.
Not for public servants though, only for sworn members.

I do a lot of work there as a subcontractor (civilian).

I will not be a sworn officer with role I am doing. Although I have been told that the job is mine, it is unoffical at this stage.

Maybe looking at a role in Weipa this week. Not sure on that one, but if they want to pay me to have a look why not. Wouldnt mind spending a few years there, might be able to afford a place in the NT then.

Prices are going mad in Darwin.

Still deciding.

I will make a descion tommorrow after talking to both managers.

Weipa job is with Rio, they just put off another 100 ppl. So not sure, although my job would be the very last to go.

NT Gov job is around 30 to 40k less, however its a gov job. We also want to make it back to Darwin before kids get to old, both under 5.

NT gov at this stage are not offering any relocation, Rio is. Rio is also offering 10k starting bonus. 5k in 6 mths, 5k in 12 mths.

If it was purely finicial Rio would be easist choice. However its not that simple. Rio job good finicially, NT Gov job more intresting and something I would persue in the long term. If I give the NT the flick now, wont be able to apply for position with them later. Think I would blow my chance.

I know Darwin pretty well, having grown up there for 20+ yrs and leaving in 2001 to work in interstate. Went back up there in 2006 for a short stint for work and now back working interstate.
Actually drove through the Lyons estate 3 days ago (whilst holidaying) and have been told that most of the houses there have fibro/plaster internal walls! Not full concrete/double brick like the good ol' housing commission homes.
But yet asking price $600+ with some houses $900+.
You could buy a bloody mansion in Melb or canal frontage property for $900K on the Gold Coast for that price. (ok perhaps mansion in Melb $900K is abit exaggerated).
Darwin's population is still under 100,000 people. Yet property prices are so ridiculously high.

Every 2nd mate I talk to works for the government or in the mines!

My parents property purchased in Wulagi sometime between 1990-1993 for $140K and valued at $180K in 2005.
It is now worth approx $450-480K now.

This is my personal opinion only and as much as I'd love to see Darwin boom in population like the Gold Coast or SE Qld.
I just can't see it happening in the next 1-20 yrs.

I think there is more chance of a 10% correction in the short term 1-3 yrs than sustained capital appreciation in Darwin properties. $700K+ for a townhouse in tipperary waters. Like who are you kidding???

Best bet is to buy a block out in Humpty Doo.
5 acres with a house for $500K levels and sit on it for the next 20 years.
45 mins from Darwin City I believe and quick trip into Palmerston which is the 2nd Hub basically. Darwin can only expand out past that way and these big blocks are the best long term holds imo.
If you can afford in Howard Springs, go there.
:)

Back