Tony Abbott's hypocrisy

Interesting to read that Tony Abbott will not apologise to David Hicks because "he was up to no good" but is attacking the Indonesian Government over two drug smugglers whose intentions were to bring illegal drugs into this country.

One travelled overseas with the express intent to take up arms and was prepared to shoot Australian soldiers the others were drug smugglers.

Australian law states that one is treason, the other might get 5-10 years in prison, not really comparable is it.

I don't agree with shooting the druggies, I believe that they should spend time in gaol. Indonesia is being hypocritical in that they beg other nations not to execute their subjects for the exact same crimes that they do execute people.

At the same time they allow murdering terrorists out after their time is up.

You lefties have lost the plot! Sure he was no raping, head removing savage, but he was still in Afganistan fighting with the Talliban and admitted it. He shouldn't be apologised to.

See ya's.

I agree. I had big problems with Howard's gutless stance on one of our citizens being locked up without charges or trial for 4+ years by our supposed closest ally but now that Hicks is "home" I don't see it as the Gov's fault. If he wants compo sue the yanks (good luck with that). Those sort of claims undermine legitimate plaintiffs IMHO.

You lefties have lost the plot! Sure he was no raping, head removing savage, but he was still in Afganistan fighting with the Talliban and admitted it. He shouldn't be apologised to.

See ya's.
I agree with the sentiment. But why is it that every time somebody disagrees with the current government they get slapped with the label "lefty"? Can't an opinion be expressed without resorting to labels?

I agree with the sentiment. But why is it that every time somebody disagrees with the current government they get slapped with the label "lefty"? Can't an opinion be expressed without resorting to labels?

I've called you lefties "Kind hearted lefties" before. Doesn't mean I don't like you lot. Lefties are kind hearted. They want to help everyone, do good to everything. Lefties are just a bit naive. Good though. What's a label got to do with it?

Most lefties would think Hicks was some unlucky dumb tourist. Most righties think it's dumb to apologise to him. It's got nothing to do with labels.

See ya's.

VXkW0xM.png

Interesting to read that Tony Abbott will not apologise to David Hicks because "he was up to no good" but is attacking the Indonesian Government over two drug smugglers whose intentions were to bring illegal drugs into this country.
Where's the link?

David Hicks was not over in Afghanistan (or wherever) for a holiday at the Marriott. He's damn lucky it wasn't worse for him I reckon.

No apology required; and TA has said so.

The two Bali drug traffickers are about to be executed and TA is merely trying to save their lives. Noone - even him - accepts they were not guilty and shouldn't be punished - life sentence with no parole is good enough.

Zero hypocrisy from the PM. no apology required.

Massive hypocrisy from the Indonesian government who are attempting to influence foreign govts holding their nationals on death row.

My point is where do people draw the line.

Yes you may not approve of what David Hicks did overseas but his actions have been proven not to be illegal and yet there is no defence for what he went through.

The Bali drug smugglers were two men looking at profiteering on through the importation of drugs into Australia from a country that has a clear record of killing drug smugglers.

Brining into and selling drugs in Australia is illegal. We do not have the death penalty but the country that they undertook the crime has.

They have stated their guilt and yet we have our Prime Minister and Julie Bishop on a massive attack against the Indonesia's point out flaws and in Indonesian policy. This government is risking our political future with Indonesia telling them what they should do in their own country would be not acceptable if it was reciprocated.

I think that they are sending our the wrong message.

Wow so many posts here from right w(h)ingers who basically think torture and faking of evidence to convict people is ok. You are more like Stalin than any leftie I know. Shame on you.

There are plenty of better examples of Abbott's hypocrisy.

• Complaining about media bias now, yet saying Gillard was 'thin skinned' when she did the same.
  • Complaining about broken promises, yet has now broken almost every election promise he made.
  • Defending his Chief of Staff by accusing her critics of being sexist.
  • Opposing the death penalty when it suits him.

That's partly the reason why 68% of the public and 39% of his own colleagues disapprove of him.

Most lefties would think Hicks was some unlucky dumb tourist. Most righties think it's dumb to apologise to him. It's got nothing to do with labels.

See ya's.

TC,I don't think he was a tourist. He was certainly dumb--but dumb can be dangerous. I feel sorry for him, but I don't think he is owed an apology. He was in a US prison for more than five years. He was lucky that the US didn't turn Afghanistan into a car park after 9/11 and kill him. Had the shoe been on the other foot, and the Taliban had nuclear weapons, the US would now not exist. I think the US showed restraint.

Sorry LibGS. No apology to Hicks. He's lucky to be back in Australia safe and sound no doubt due to the efforts of the Australian Govt. Mercy for Bali 2 Sukumaran and Chan because Indonesia expects mercy to be extended to their Indon Nationals on death row in other countries for drug trafficking crimes.

Sukumaran and Chan deserve forgiveness and a second chance at life because they have reformed and been rehabilitated. Sukumaran runs programs for other inmates like art programs, computer programs, t-shirt printing. Other inmates look up to him. Chan is heavily involved in pastoral care of other prisoners. One of the prisoners under his pastoral care wrote to the Indonesian president begging him to execute him instead of Chan. Mercy, mercy, mercy. Spare their lives and they will do good and help others for the rest of their lives.

Back