Torrens title / Strata title

I've done a search on the forum for info regarding these as well as on the internet but I can't find a really clear explanation.

I'm pretty much aware of what strata titles involve but not entirely sure about torrens title.

I'm speaking from a buyers point of view.
From what I've gathered, Torrens title is preferred because its more flexible and cheaper?

There seem to be alot of duplex/villas in south west Sydney (campbelltown area) that are Torrens title, a lot more than in other parts of Sydney from what I've seen online anyway. Is there any reason that particular suburbs would have many Torrens title properties?

I believe that Torrens Title is the standard form of title used for stand-alone houses. If you have a dupluex that is torrens titled (I do actually!), then it just means that each property is stand-alone and there is no restriction on what you can do, beyond not being able to make changes to common walls (which must be firewalls).

The main difference between Torrens Title and other forms of title is that Torrens typically uses a single register for each holding (hence its use in single dwelling titles), unlike Strata or Company titles, which are usually combined (in that there are multiple dwellings on one master title ... I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology - I'm not an expert).

Someone who is an expert on titles can probably add more.

As a bit of trivia - did you know that the Torrens Title system was originally developed in Adelaide and is now used in many countries worldwide! ... http://wic003lc.server-web.com/~admin417/index.php?page=torrens-title

Thanks for that, will take a read. Yes I read about the SA thing when I was researching.

Im finding heaps of torrens title duplexes, villas and townhouse in cambelltown and surrounds but very rarely anywhere else.

Hi there
Torrens title is actually the system of title as opposed to a different category as has been highlighted in the above links - it means on registration you have an indefeasible title to the property which cannot be challenged. It was created by the South Australian - Torrens - which did away with a system called old system title which meant you had to have a whole lot of documents (which flowed one to the next) to evidence your title to the land.
It has been adopted by a number of countries around the world as has been highlighted above.
thanks

I believe that Torrens Title is the standard form of title used for stand-alone houses. If you have a dupluex that is torrens titled (I do actually!), then it just means that each property is stand-alone and there is no restriction on what you can do, beyond not being able to make changes to common walls (which must be firewalls).[/url]

So basically you can put fences up and do what you want out the front and to the building etc?

Hi there
not necessarily - you do need to see what if any building covenants affect the property - you may not be permitted to put up a fence - also there may be zoning constraints also affecting your property.
This is why your solicitor/conveyancer makes inquiries of councils and government departments who may have an interest in your property so that you can understand all the constraints which may affect your property.
thanks

Back