Treadmills....are they suitable for running on?

Looking at buying a treadmill (just one from a sports store online) but are these normally ok for running on or just walking/power walking?

I see people at the gym run on them but they're heavy duty commercial machines whereas i'm just looking at buying one from the sports store.....anyone have any idea???

I have used plenty of them and would have to say "you get what you pay for"

Yes the heavy duty machines are very good for running on and are actually less of a strain than on normally ground due to the damping effect created by the slight flex in the running surface.

As for cheaper machines, they really aren't that great for running, IMHO, as they are often narrower and shorter than commercial units and structurally less robust. If you are 6ft tall (or higher) you might find that your running stride pushes the limits of a cheaper machine due to those factors.

Hope this helps ;)

If a treadmill couldn't handle a decent sized person running on it, it would just be a toy, stay away.

Why do you want a treadmill anyway?
There are so many better ways to achieve what you could on a treadmill which cost very little and are much more fun and challenging to do.

I use a treadmill daily and I am only 5'2" but with a son who is 6'2" who reckons he was going to use it :D we bought a good, heavy duty one with a longer base. If you want to run on it, you will need the longer base to allow for the longer stride.

I actually like using a treadmill over walking on the street. It avoids the need to look out for uneven footpaths, traffic, fumes, dogs and I get to watch Foxtel while I exercise.

Kim,

My gym partner runs a few times a week on his treadmill during the winter and has no problem - but as Indifference mentioned, you'd need to have a more commercial quality one. Not the ones you'll see at the sports store for $400. We had one of those years ago and it's was pretty useless - even just walking fast it would start slipping.

Perhaps go to a large exercise equipment store (eg. Southern Workout Store, Fitness Warehouse etc) and look at the different types on offer. Then if you see one you like check their price compared to online.

But one thing I can't stress enough: my partner mentioned above is the ONLY person I know who has a treadmill that makes use of it (and I've known plenty!). Why don't you try one of the places mentioned above and rent it for a few months first, then if you're still making good use of it in 4-6 months time, buy one then.

But one thing I can't stress enough: my partner mentioned above is the ONLY person I know who has a treadmill that makes use of it (and I've known plenty!). Why don't you try one of the places mentioned above and rent it for a few months first, then if you're still making good use of it in 4-6 months time, buy one then.

This is a very good point. I use mine daily, but I reckon there is exercise equipment sitting idle all over Australia.

I found that once I made it a habit, whilst I don't "look forward to" my exercise, I feel like I am letting myself down if I don't do it.

Forcing myself into the habit was hard, but now it is just something I do each day (week days). I also don't work so finding time is not an issue for me.

Forcing myself into the habit was hard, but now it is just something I do each day (week days). I also don't work so finding time is not an issue for me.

Very true. I heard once apparently if you can maintain a pattern for 4 weeks consistently, then it becomes much easier after that.

One way to check how robust it is is to check the maximum user weight. If its 80-100kg, its probably a fairly useless machine. 100-130kg, marginally better. I would want something that could handle 150-200kg.
We bought an elliptical trainer recently, from ebay. Its not as good as the ones at Workout world, cause it stride length is not so long. But it has been used regularly while watching TV. We got it brand new on ebay for $200, 250kg weight limit, while the ones at WW were $2000.... so we were prepared to give up some features.
Pen

pennyk is that one of those machines that the legs and arms get a work out at the same time and you can set it to weight/pressure?

If it is then they are brilliant. Some ladies where l work do a good 2 hour a day workout, treadmill, weights, swim etc they lost the weight but one of those multi thingies turned up in the gym and when they started using it boy oh boy could you see the difference, not only did it get the kilos off but it toned them up beautifully.
I think they are a better machine than a tread mill. speaking of which l better go hit the gym now:(

Looking at buying a treadmill (just one from a sports store online) but are these normally ok for running on or just walking/power walking?

I see people at the gym run on them but they're heavy duty commercial machines whereas i'm just looking at buying one from the sports store.....anyone have any idea???

I love running, but my body doesn't anymore.

When we lived in L.A, our apartment complex had a really great gym, which I used a lot.

In there they had very good running machines, which I tried, and enjoyed, but then I discovered the elyptoid machines.

At first I was sceptical, but I was soon convinced and I found they are brilliant - especially the ones with the swinging arms you have to hold on to. I found I could burn off about 350 kilojoules per half hour quite easily on one. More if I got off my arze and worker harder.

The other thing to look at is a bike riding machine, but the elyptoid was a better over-all workout I found.

I shudder to think what the cost of a seriously good one would be, but I've no doubt that ebay is full of great intentions going cheap and were never used.

Make sure you are not one of them. ;)

pennyk is that one of those machines that the legs and arms get a work out at the same time and you can set it to weight/pressure?

If it is then they are brilliant. Some ladies where l work do a good 2 hour a day workout, treadmill, weights, swim etc they lost the weight but one of those multi thingies turned up in the gym and when they started using it boy oh boy could you see the difference, not only did it get the kilos off but it toned them up beautifully.
I think they are a better machine than a tread mill. speaking of which l better go hit the gym now:(

I think so....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_trainer

You can get rear wheel or front wheel drive ones, but the main thing is that it doesn't put so much stress on your joints, but its a good workout. My hubby is thin and strong, but not fit. He could only do around 5 minutes initially, and has worked up to 30 minutes after a month or so.
Pen

I think so....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptical_trainer

You can get rear wheel or front wheel drive ones, but the main thing is that it doesn't put so much stress on your joints, but its a good workout. My hubby is thin and strong, but not fit. He could only do around 5 minutes initially, and has worked up to 30 minutes after a month or so.
Pen

Yep thats the one. The ladies in the gym were the same , could only do 5 mins max took a month to get to 20 mins but as l said, what a workout it gives you. One of the ladies said you could loose 2 kilo in a good session.
I have seen them advertised for $500 to $700 its a lighter maching but if you havent got a big heavy person pumping away on it l think it would last.

its hard for me to leave the house coz of 2 kids (2 & 1) and another on the way....plus its too cold and wet at the moment so figure treadmill will allow me to still be home, keep an eye on the kids and exercise.

ok that makes sense with the weight and length suggestions.....does anyone know how long a treadmill would ideally be to cater for those who wish to run? i guess it varies depending on people's height and stuff (i'm only tiny at 160cm and hubby 178cm)??

looking for one on ebay now.....don't think a new one would be worth it...just need to know what length to look out for?

I would also advise to get an elliptical over treadmill, as it providing toning as well as calorie burning. Treadmills also cause higher impact damage upon the feet which limits your ability to use them regularly and can become an excuse to not use them. Ellipticals on the other hand have no impact damage and provide an all-round workout which will strengthen muscles across the body whilst burning fat.

Have read that running on 'real' ground (ie not cement footpaths) exercises you better b/c your foot/leg is constantly using different muscles to balance you.

I understand it's cold o/s & get the 2 kids thing, but is it at all possible for you all to go for a run/walk outside even for 30mins?

You're right about the real ground thing (though there are pros and cons for both), but for some people it's just not going to happen despite all the good intentions at the start. After a couple weeks, the enthusiasm dies off and you're left with a cold, dark, raining morning/evening and it's much easier to just say "meh, I'll just skip it today and go for a run tomorrow."

If a treadmill is what is needed to fix this side of the problem, then it's a good choice. If on the other hand you make an excuse like above to not use the treadmill as most people do......

Kimanand

I use my treadmill generally during winter and on wet days. When I purchased ours we also went for a wider running deck for running.

Our deck is 142 x 51cm but alot are only 40cm wide. I mainly walk on mine, but my husband runs on it occasionally.

We paid around $2000 for ours.

Kinga

Depending on how old and overweight you are, consider getting a spin bike, or a used road bike and bike trainer.

Cycling, in and out of the seat, is a lot easier on the knees and back, and your Calorie burn rate can be just as high as with jogging/running, despite some opinion to the contrary.

It would also be good cross training to mix outdoor running and indoor cycling.

Otherwise, as others have said, treadmills are fine for running as long as they are longer and sturdy enough. Though they do require more maintenance than a spin bike.

Back