Tv - Show Renovators #2

Watched tonight's show, saw Natalia crying and Jason suggesting to her that not having to face elimination has been a good thing!

She is rather emotional ... comes with being creative I guess. But have to agree with Jason.

From memory they've won 2 working bees (or was it 3), haven't had to do a single elimination challenge, won the coffee table comp, the 6x6m garden comp and the Queensland bench seat comp.

Harden up Natalia!

As for Peter getting Sam back last week ... hmmmm ... she might end up being more of a hinderance than the hippie would've been.

I thought Natalia crying last night was a real spoil sports attitude, I thought it some what took away from the excitement for the blue teams win. Good on Jason immediately responding with the comments he did.

The first real sparks of animosity we have seen. Also think there is underlying tension between Sam and Peter, could well have been the intention behind that bringing Sam back.

Oh poor Nathan, how long does he have to struggle on by himself, isn't he doing well. Think his bedroom and white room challenge were pretty damn good considering he is by himself.

The blue boys, gee feel I am slightly in love with Michael, lol, in a maternal way, or if I was many years younger...anyway I digress. The bedroom was good but a few personal touches and a bit of colour would have made thier room more polished.

Hey girls, did you hear that you could win a date with Michael .........just teasing. If he was left alone in a room with you gals it would be like a chook thrown into the middle of a crocodile farm ;)

I think Natalia was just releasing some frustration at not actually winning a prize with a spendable value like furniture or a pool. In hindsight after people have made her aware of other things her team has won - which do have reasonable value, I think she would probably refrase her comment or not say at all. She is just human!

I have not read or heard anything about another series next year - what is the goss? Although I was anti decoration stuff etc in the beginning as I am only interested in reno work, I must concede some of it has sunk in as there has been so much of it. I think Robyn would be a very good teacher, warm, encouraging and supportive.

Going to look at some of the houses at tomorrows open house.

Report Card

Today I looked at the Terrace, shop and half done house. The terrace was the stand out winner - hard to fault.

Terrace.
I rate 9/10. Good feel throughout, nice finish other than a few minor points such as the original upstairs double doors onto the balcony having 100 years of uneven old paint underneath, drains in the courtyard, and the ensuite shower screen door catching on the wall - hopefully just hinge adjustment. The hollow in the bedroom floor under the carpet has not been fixed yet - almost need towing out of it :D The shower was a bit small for a double - looked a bit cluttered. Kitchen area and courtyard very nice. I think anyone other than with school age kids would be happy to live there.

Shop

I rate it 6.5/10. Considering all the working bees at this house it is an embarrassment in some ways. The hallway is terrible - ceiling should have been re gyprocked (or was it just done badly), cornice in the same boat. Where the rendered wall meets the gyprock a speed bump is almost evident, plus not to mention the big hairline crack on the wall inside the front door. The floor - ugh!!! They have used the shiny self leveling cement finish - with float sweep marks evident (which would not be easy to get perfect I suspect) and outside the bathroom and toilet they have ramped it up like a skateboard ramp instead of putting in a step - looks like a temp job on a building site. When I say ramped up I mean about 70mm. The terrace house had a step into the bathroom of a similar height but done nicely with a tile strip below the aluminium edge.

The middle side windows look too low and should have been replaced with 400mm higher windows to match the end ones. The original kitchen pressed ceiling adds so much character - really looks good although not consistent with the rest of the house's modern feel. Stepped down living area is reasonable as is the back yard with nice balance of deck, grass and garden. Really need some tall trees or pines to shield from dbl storey house over the back fence and from the public area next door - although privacy is not too bad. I could count the wheel nuts on the jets wheels as they flew over - several planes in 20 minutes. Workers were also replacing the storm water system down the side of the house, was not done properly. Overall it does not feel like a shop or look too much like one from the street. Neighbouring houses are only set back about another 2-3 m, the new 1m setback from street with garden helps a lot. Driveway down side of house is a bonus - access to back yard and adds some space between house and side fence/public area.

Half done House
Rating 7.5/10. Good street appeal, well finished other than bathroom grouting - what did Peter use! Living area is too small for the rest of the house, nice and light and airy but too small for the height of the room. The backyard is .....lets start again!!!!!!! Useless, like sitting in a sports ground car park. The side courtyard is however much nicer - and you can look out to this while laying back in the bath with the glass doors open and shower curtain billowing out in the breeze - pass me another champagne! The ensuite in the wardrobe - brilliant, would not know it was there ....oh I can think of so many jokes you could play on vistors :D :eek: :D

Chris Gray was there, did not realise it was his red Ferrari parked out the front with adverting all over it. He did a Peter Ho and sat down on the lounge on the back deck to test the atmosphere. I was going to ask him which house he liked the best but I don't think he was interested in talking to anyone than than the agents - getting peoples feedback. As usual, dressed like he was going to a wedding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting profit aside, unless the Parramatta weatherboard has come up brilliantly, the Glebe Terrace will be the winner for finish and practicality. It's not in a bad street either - outlook across the road is reasonable. Considering they were behind the 8 ball waiting for DA approval, it is very well finished - and complete. I think Cherie Barber would be quite impressed!

Wow Beachside you really do have too much time on your hands or else you love property as much as I do :D
Great rundown, though I have to disagree with you about the shop. Sure, there are some imperfections but like most of these properties, age has not wearied the solidity of the actual buildings and given the strict "everything by the book" approach by the building/site managers on these houses (much like Keith on The Block!) buyers can be assured that the works have been done to as high a standard as possible. You should have seen them in their original state! I think the reason why the shop is such an amazing transformation is that it was basically a shell before (and a very ugly one at that!) and the team have created a house from scratch inside its interior. It may not win the competition (my money's on Glebe or Blacktown) but it's still pretty impressive in my opinion. I'm still reeling from the talented Natalia being moved to the Castle Hill house..... shame, but then again it is a game show!

Beachside since you have seen the houses in person. Do you think they will actually make any money?

Can't comment on potential as none of these are in areas I am familiar with, although the others do seem to have been purchased at high prices for what I would have expected in those areas for houses in that condition - based on nearby areas or values I had read about. I suspect that when you add reno costs to the purchase price of those you may have a minimum target price which is very close to or above its potential sale price. As there is only one winner they are still likely to walk away with a reasonable prize even if only 2 or 3 houses make a profit, so for the other 5 contestants it does not make any difference to them if their house loses money or makes $1 less than the winning house.

Wow Beachside you really do have too much time on your hands or else you love property as much as I do :D
Great rundown, though I have to disagree with you about the shop. Sure, there are some imperfections but like most of these properties, age has not wearied the solidity of the actual buildings and given the strict "everything by the book" approach by the building/site managers on these houses (much like Keith on The Block!) buyers can be assured that the works have been done to as high a standard as possible. You should have seen them in their original state! I think the reason why the shop is such an amazing transformation is that it was basically a shell before (and a very ugly one at that!) and the team have created a house from scratch inside its interior. It may not win the competition (my money's on Glebe or Blacktown) but it's still pretty impressive in my opinion. I'm still reeling from the talented Natalia being moved to the Castle Hill house..... shame, but then again it is a game show!

Yep, love looking at houses and any construction work. I reckon a building inspection would pick the shop to pieces, even if mainly cosmetic. It just screams out as a home owner reno job to me, amateurish in many ways. I confess to being one of those but there were so may things that I picked up on - such as the corners of the walls in the bathroom being sealed with a very light coloured silicon instead of using one close to the dark tiles/grout - should not have been so visible. A person I heard speaking to the agent who was showing some interest in the property did comment on his concerns with structural issues - not sure what he had noticed other than possibly the crack in the hallway near the front door. Maybe the finish in many areas might have given him concerns about what was not visible! This is the property which I thought would have been the easiest to reno. I think they had too many decorators/designers and not enough tradies/builders to keep an eye on workmanship.

The Weatherboard House

51 Franklin Street, Parramatta

Open for inspection: Saturday 24th September - 11:00am to 12:30pm

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Parramatta/?adid=2009224894

The Shop

146 Addison Road, Marrickville

Open for inspection: Saturday 24th September- 3:00pm to 4:30pm

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Marrickville/?adid=2009218216

The Inner City Terrace

12 Hegarty Street Glebe

Open for inspection: Saturday 24th September - 10.00am to 11.30am

Wednesday 28th September - 10:00am to 11:30am

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Terrace/NSW/Glebe/?adid=2009216872

The Half Done House

5 Frederick Street, St
Peters

Open for inspection: Saturday 24th September - 2.00pm to

Wednesday 28th September - 2.00pm to 3.30pm

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/St-Peters/?adid=2009218841

The Sixties Suburban

15 Anthony Road, Castle Hill

Open for inspection: Saturday 24th September - 2.00pm to 3.30pm

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Castle-Hill/?adid=2009216911

The Fibro Cottage

85 Harold Street, Blacktown

Open for inspection: Saturday 24th September - 4.00pm to 5.30pm

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/NSW/Blacktown/?adid=2009218974

So sounds like the culling begins to the final 6 contestants this week. If you had not gathered already my thoughts, I want Michael to win, although I like Jarrad as well and will find it sad when he gets eliminated so only Michael is left.

I would like to see the final six as

Michael,

Peter, do not want him to win, I respect his style but there is something about him..

Nathan,

Keenan

Last one is hard, do not like August or Christie, so if it is not to late to swap houses Jarrad for a house.

So sounds like the culling begins to the final 6 contestants this week. If you had not gathered already my thoughts, I want Michael to win, although I like Jarrad as well and will find it sad when he gets eliminated so only Michael is left.

I would like to see the final six as

Michael,

Peter, do not want him to win, I respect his style but there is something about him..

Nathan,

Keenan

Last one is hard, do not like August or Christie, so if it is not to late to swap houses Jarrad for a house.
You forgot Luke or Jason?

Can't comment on potential as none of these are in areas I am familiar with, although the others do seem to have been purchased at high prices for what I would have expected in those areas for houses in that condition - based on nearby areas or values I had read about.

Hi Beachside

Keep in mind that all the houses were actually purchased for under median prices in the areas and that the prices advertised on the show actually included stamps and legals so Ch 10 have been very upfront about costs. When you break the actual purchase prices down by themselves you'll find the following:

Price paid/Suburb/Median house price for suburb
$299K Blacktown $370K
$460K Parramatta $540K
$572K Marrickville $750K
$607K Castle Hill $780K
$642K St Peters $667K
$720K Glebe $980K

Also with the exception of the shop (for obvious reasons) all the other houses are on predominantly quiet residential streets, in those regarded as "good" by local standards. Locating a "worst house best street" scenario is what has largely been achieved here and it will ultimately be up to the buyers on the night to see who makes the biggest profit. It's just a shame that, unlike normal selling campaigns, this one's been shortened for TV to a very brief 3.5 weeks..... not ideally sufficient time to capture more buyers.

Not being familiar with the areas or properties, the worst house in the best street or other unknown benefits may well be the key and I had kept an open mind to this possibility. The median is only relevant though if the end product is the median product, other than having a price advantage if below the median. Inspecting the 3 houses certainly changed my perception of them in various ways - all 3 more desirable than anticipated!

BTW, and on a different subject, early in the series Baz took a couple of the contestants out to inspect a high end waterfront property - might have been Michael and Jarrod. At the time I could not pick the location but all was answered the following week when the house was advertised in the local rag. See http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-seaforth-107606934 Apparently Baz designed it. Very nice and multi split level, water frontage but only useful for wetting a line - and down a long set of stairs . (Great workout jogging down and back - I did it, puf puf!) I went to the auction last week, no bids and agent was looking for about 4 big ones. I thought well overpriced considering a tri level house a little smaller in size but well built/fitted out in a nearby suburb with much better views sold for 2.5 big wallets the week before.

Hmmmm, the stress of the show is starting to show on a few people with Jason showing some impatience and temper last week, Natalia showing her emotions last week and tonight.

And tonight, the grey team consisting of August, August, August and August ...oh, and helper to be kept in the dark Christie! It's mine, mine, mine, all mine!!! What an ego, is he dreaming thinking that the team (past and present) work well together - him with them. The girls mentioned last week how he did not listen to them and did what he wanted, and tonight all of Australia saw it. This would wear anyone down, no wonder Natalia showed a little emotion tonight with his dig at her saying the team being better with only two people now. At least she got her win tonight she has been after - and defeating August who had the 30 min advantage. Looking forward to the challenge where Christie hopefully defeats August for the shop, unfortunate for the other contestants in their battles.

A shame there can't be more than one winner because I would like to see half of them walk away as winners - hard not to like them.

Yes it was interesting last night, thought you saw a few of the people's true colours. Whilst I did feel for Christie last night, August spending so long on those silly gold things. August got a few snide remarks in about being a team of two, horrid man. I really do not like eithier of them. It was great that Natalia and Nathan won the challenge. Yep of the two of them hope it is Christie that wins now to.

Think there does seem some tension between Natalia and Nathan, wonder if it is her just making the adjustment, or her emotions?

Keenan and Mel seem to get on very well together, quite like them.

I agree there are several lovely individuals and teams, will be an interesting week, I to wish there could be more then one winner.

... this week is going to be a rollercoaster. The knives are out!

Good on Natalia for winning. August always came across as a pretty good bloke - until last week. Won't be longer before the daggers are out between Sam and Peter as she's already grumbling about how it's all Peter Peter Peter.

So, we've said who we'd like to win.

Who would we like to go?

Sam
August
Christie

now it gets hard

Jason
Mel
Keenan

With the houses spread out amongst the rest ... although I do think Natalia's emotions and insecurity will let her down in a challenge.

... this week is going to be a rollercoaster. The knives are out!

Good on Natalia for winning. August always came across as a pretty good bloke - until last week. Won't be longer before the daggers are out between Sam and Peter as she's already grumbling about how it's all Peter Peter Peter.

So, we've said who we'd like to win.

Who would we like to go?

Sam
August
Christie

now it gets hard

Jason
Mel
Keenan

With the houses spread out amongst the rest ... although I do think Natalia's emotions and insecurity will let her down in a challenge.

Funny, I hated August from the start, go back and you'll see all the arrogant comments he makes. He's a POS.

I want the following left in: Michael, Jarrod, Keenan, Natalia, Luke and Peter (don't really like him, have to respect him in some ways). Nathan is lazy and annoys me because of it

We know Michael will be the last person standing in the comp from the Navy Blue team as someone from SS saw him outside the Blacktown house having a smoko, just when the properties were being put on the 'net for auction.

Back