Tv - Show Renovators #2

Been a bit quiet here as the show winds down - and many people probably have lost interest knowing what the outcome was - I don't yet :)

Some observations over the last few nights:

Will the tree transplanted from the rear to the front yard of the Parramatta house survive - wasn't carefully transplanted or the roots prepared in advance.

Keenan certainly is not a carpenter, surprised the judges did not comment on his front gate opening outwards instead of inwards. I could not see any obstruction.

August - is still Mr Magoo :D

Castle Hill house - front yard came up better than I expected and the pebble driveway does not look as cheap as I expected. Not sure about the steel garden edge :confused: Gee, Natalia is a good worker - one of the guys! Liking her more now and the only remaining one I would not mind taking the keys off the key holder in the final round. Shhhh - don't tell me who it is!

All up, the front yards of the houses all came up pretty good.

How are they going to eliminate 3 more contestants and show the auctions if the show is in its final week. it does not seem there will be any in tonight's show - Thursday!!!!

I also don't know the result - and admire Natalia.

Are you a night behind? Jason was eliminated last night in the whiteroom kitchen challenge. I started to lose interest when August won against Christie as that was such the wrong decision by the judges - and August is absolutely hopeless in every respect.

Who do I want to win? Either Michael or Natalia

Here the final episode is next week, Wednesday night think it is. Great, I will be interstate hope the dashed dvd records fine, It is hit and miss with my tv antenna and watching online on a lap top just does not have the same impact.

As I said before I know who won, well thats if the info I read is correct, so cannot comment.

That front yard of Nathan and Natalia's I thought was beautiful.

I to wondered about that transplanted tree, apart from the roots as you mentioned did not look like any special soil preparation.

I think Nathan and Natalia look uncomfortable together, although there were moments in the garden challenge they appeared to get on together.

Do I detect some male / female chemistry on the green team???????

Too bad Keenan lost tonight, he was such a hard worker and deserved to hang in until the end. I like Mel as she has been a good worker and competitor also but felt that Keenan had the right to win ...but watched his chances sliding away. His skills are construction, Mel's are decorating and tonight was mainly about decorating. They were such a good couple right to the end - like friends going to a duel. Oh well, I can live with the outcome - unlike August's win.

As for chemistry between them, he's single but she isn't. I was half expecting them to have an arm around each other or holding hands waiting for the verdict (just friendly support) but there was none so I don't think they are that close, just have respect for each others ability.

It must be hard for all those who have formed good friendships, watching their friends slowly getting picked off and sent home. Getting close to all going there separate ways after months of seeing each other every day and working side by side. Even Baz got really choked up tonight sending Keenan home. I bet a lot stay in touch. I have enjoyed the show more over the last couple of weeks as it has got more personal with less people.

I felt the same, was so hard with those two both were excellent competitors but I too felt that Keenan was more deserving of the right to hold the keys. Gee I almost cried last night, very touching episode with Bazz finding great difficulty to not break down. I don't think I have seen everyone show such respect for another competitor as they did when Keenan left.

Yes, maybe all that exists between Mel and Keenan is a good friendship and mutual respect. I know that Mel is married and adores her child, but hay how many married people do you know that have affairs. I am not for one moments saying anything more existed between them, you can have an attraction and not take it any further.

I too feel that there will be ongoing friendships between a few of them.

Oh my gosh tonight will be interesting with a double episode and both of the final competitors picked. I can't wait to see who wins between Natalia and Nathan, oh and the navy blue boys gee, gunna be a hard one tonight, especially since Michael was ill yesterday.

Think it will be interesting with both of the competitors who will be eliminated tonight, regardless of who they are. All of them have come along in leaps and bounds and in both teams think they would be all deserving winners of the final. More so then horrid August, camera always catch's him with no emotion or what I interprete to be evil thoughts. Although I think Peter is talented I would not want him to win, there is something about him that I cannot put my finger on.

I will miss this show. I read somewhere there will not be a second show, apparently ratings are down, or is that they hype they are generating to see what people say?

You know what I really liked about last night?

Peter downed tools at his own place and leapt in to help without question ... I like Peter's enthusiasm and willingness to pitch in with anything and the way he bounded into the house ready to do whatever was needed only reinforced that ... and then Baz having the tears and almost losing it while expressing his respect for Keenan. Gosh, that was such a moment - like a father super proud of his son.

Hoping Natalia wins tonight. The more I see of her the more I respect her as well (even if she does get emotional) and, damn, she works hard.

Poor Jarrod, I am sure his emotions spilling over were in part due to exhaustion, they all looked so tired. You do have to think there was some strategy there on Michaels part, Jarrod having no idea what furnishings he had to work with and such a large area to paint, and running out of paint. But whatever, after all it is a contest. Michael made a lovely little speech regarding Jarrod though.

Really did not mind who won with Natalia and Nathan, but Natalia certainly nailed the simplicity of her decorations, although I thought both of thier rooms were a bit bland really. I just love how Natalia bundles up a coupla sticks and they look magnificant.

Have to say the scenes from next week, have to give it to August some of his art work is beautiful.

The last couple of weeks of the show have been good, I think because it has become more personal with less people. (Like with The Block's 8 people.) It was good to see the judges (except Peter) going around to the houses and rolling their sleeves up to help - Brendan certainly helped Michael sort out the garden.

Natalia and Nathan
I think Natalia was going to have a slight edge from the start, Nathan's room looked more empty. Nathan took it well, in his laid back style. Agree with the bundle of sticks - OMG she can turn anything into art. I have an entire art collection in a big green storage cabinet on wheels which gets collected every fortnight ;) Peter did put in 100% last night, not his 80% or less like earlier comments. Probably tried harder than Nathan.

Michael and Jarrad.
Not sure about last night - did Michael take advantage of Jarrods innocence/lack of life experiences. Did his lack of emotion contribute to this doubt!!! I can't help feeling that some damage may have been done to whatever friendship/respect there was between them.
OK, maybe neither had given thought to how much paint was left, sure Michael could choose the easiest room to do so if Jarrod had twice as much to do - that's the game. Michael seemed to have less prep to do and got onto painting earlier - so probably not grabbing the paint greedily - but his comment that he got in first suggests he may have known what he was doing. :( :confused:

August actually won a few points last night, but lost just as many. Considerately he went to get some more paint for both guys, not just Jarrod - although it would appear that Michael did not end up needing any, but August was not to know. However August's comment about Michael grabbing the paint was a bit bitchy. And his whining later that they would not be able to get it done - talk about a glass half empty guy. But he did come good at the end when Jarrod was too devastated to talk and spoke very nicely on his behalf and his efforts.

I thought the rooms finishes were on par - although the 1 coat paint finish may have been more obvious in person than on TV. Michael's room probably could have got away with 1 coat as it had a similar wall colour to begin with rather than Jarrod's undercoat white. I could not see anything wrong with Jarrod's styling, seemed complete other than table not built.

It was Michael's house, he had the building experience and knowledge, worked equally as hard as Jarrod, so I think Michael deserved to win by a nose in that respect. It would be a shame if after all this time the paint issue caused bad feeling in the last few hours. I hope Jarrod does not feel that he was shafted by who he thought was his mate!

I don't know what sort of REA Jarrod is - can't imagine it, maybe a genuine DTE no BS quiet achiever who works hard. BUT....... I bet he wins a heap of respect from people who will give him a chance over other experienced smooth talking REA - no offence to those good ones on here :)

I would love to hear after the end of the show who keeps in contact, what is said behind the scenes in the washup. Was there any prize sharing agreements? Will the winner put on a big BBQ/party for the runners up and half the others who were well liked.

I'm going to miss the show!

I agree Beachside, I thought there appeared to be an air of tension between Jarrod and Michael.

I too would love to hear of the behind the scenes events, friendships kept.

Beachside, I fly in here and out when looking at the board, your comments reflect the thoughts and feelings I had about last nights episode.

I actually listened to a few of the exit interviews today on the renovators site, there is also some written comments about the contestant. Thought it was interesting what Kristie said, she said she would have prefered to be working with different people, that she did not particulary like them, she said August and Natalia were so serious.

Looking thru the houses tonight - I was disappointed with both the weatherboard and fibro cottages ... not a single bedroom cupboard in the weatherboard, and only the only crappy second hand one in the fibro. I know they were on a tight budget - but no storage?

The 60's suburban looked fabulous - my favourite - and not just because it's Natalia. As said, she could design an old sack and two pegs into an artwork. I loved the new kitchen area with the soaring ceiling - so spacious feeling - and the backyard came up a treat.

Hubby's favourite was the inner city terrace - which I must admit, I did like the white concrete floors but it was so pokey looking, and the exterior colour does nothing for me (baby poo brown on brown :cool:). Ahhh, Luke is so sweet. Young. Massively in love with his wife and girls. A great mate to Jason. Got all choked up and not to manly to cry. Not hard on the eyes ...

Although, if it's going via profit on purchase and initial budget, the fibro might just pull it off because of the pool.

Michael's house should win easily. It is the only affordable house, they haven't overcapitalised and the pool is a huge bonus.

The key contributor however will be the market dynamics. It is the only house which can make a profit under $500k, which is the key cutoff point for everyone in NSW who is trying to get in before First Home Buyer Stamp Duty concessions disappear. It is the only competitive market in Sydney at the moment and the only one likely to do well at auction, the rest will be likely to go like the block did in Melbourne. (I haven't seen any of the spoilers).

I am inclined to agree, that pool is a huge bonus with the folding doors it all looks very appealing.

Although I must admit I do like the inner terrace and that demographic would expect to spend more

Well we will know tonight!!!!

I have enjoyed the last few weeks and won't know what to watch now :confused:

Chris

I just saw on tv that the final is not on tonight as listed in the weekly programme guide but is on Wednesday!!!!!

Chris

I was pleasantly surprised with the final houses, all those ensuites we had no incling about.

I agree the fibro cottage was a little dissapointing, although loved the kitchen, but that pool is a winner. Fancy going over budget on the weatherboard, no furniture in that back room sure makes a difference on appearances.

Actually really liked everything about the shop, and the inner city terrace was really nice too. The half done house had bits and pieces I liked.

total costs?

Hello everyone,

It's the finale tonight!

I've been following the renovators very closely as well and decided to work out exactly how much has been spent on each of the houses - i.e. adding up all the prizes that the teams won along the way to help with their renos. Any "profit" that is going to be made tonight surely has to take these into account. Anyway, here are the costs I put together - yes, I have too much time on my hands :) There were some prizes that I have no idea how to cost - eg. the working bees and the tradies so didn't put a price to them. And there is, of course, the time of the contestants!

The Shop
Purchase Price 594730
Initial Budget 118946
solar package 10000
bathroom reveal 10000
wedding reception2000
street appeal 5000
working bee (x3)
Total Spent $ 740,676.00

The Fibro Cottage
Purchase Price 309990
Initial Budget 61998
pool package 40000
bathroom package15000
freedom furniture 20000
bathroom reveal 10000
wedding reception4000
street appeal 5000
working bee (x1)
Total Spent $ 465,988.00

Half done house
Purchase Price 668403
Initial Budget 133681
Beach&French challange10000
Taubmans 10000
Whitegoods package* 6000
garden landscape 20000
solar package 10000
bathroom reveal 15000
street appeal 5000
Total Spent $ 878,084.00

Inner city terrace
Purchase Price 749390
Initial Budget 149878
whitegoods package* 4000
bathroom reveal 20000
street appeal 5000
Total Spent $ 928,268.00

*Pete won the 10K whitegoods package but gave 40% to the inner city terrace team as they helped him with the challenge.

The Weatherboard
Purchase Price 478213
Initial Budget 95642
Bunnings voucher 10000
bathroom reveal 10000
wedding reception4000
Street appeal 10000
two tradies two days
working bee x1
four tradies 48 hours
Total Spent $ 607,855.00

Sixties surburban
Purchase Price 631828
Initial Budget 126366
hero white room 10000
solar package 10000
whitegoods package10000
bathroom reveal 30000
street appeal 5000
two tradies two days
working bee x1
Total Spent $ 823,194.00

.... that puts some reality to what was really spent - thanks.

Although, in real life you probably wouldn't have to buy furniture, you wouldn't have such time pressures (ie, have one week to fully install a kitchen) so could do more work yourself and not so reliant on paying tradies - and cost for your time would (hopefully) be taken out of the profit.

Assuming there was a profit.

Excellent Dexter, I wanted to know that but could not be bothered to work it out. OMG, where did you get all the details from. Don't tell me you have a pen and pad beside your Jason recliner and kept track along the way :D

As discussed on The Block thread, in real life these properties would not be a worthwhile reno and flip proposition taking all costs into account - or am I wrong. I have been hiding under a rock so i won't know the outcome till tonight.

surely the whole point of a prize is that it is indeed a prize and doesnt have to be paid for or counted in the total spend

Back