Unemployment up to 5.3% (10 month high)

^ Trend continues for full time jobs to be replaced with part time, and I believe that as long as you have some paid work you are "employed." :eek: I'd be happy for someone to disavail me of that notion, but that's what I've been told.

Interesting that the population = 22.7m people and number employed = 11.4m people. I also found on the site that 67.5% of the population is working age. That's 15.3 million people of working age, 11.4m in paid work and only 620k classified as unemployed. Where are the other 3.3 million Au citizens? Are there a lot more SAHMs than I thought, or is everyone else on "disability benefits" so not counted?

^Does that mean you don't pay yourself at all? I'd have thought if you lodge a tax return then you'd be counted as 'employed' even if it's by your own co.

^ Trend continues for full time jobs to be replaced with part time, and I believe that as long as you have some paid work you are "employed." :eek: I'd be happy for someone to disavail me of that notion, but that's what I've been told.

Interesting that the population = 22.7m people and number employed = 11.4m people. I also found on the site that 67.5% of the population is working age. That's 15.3 million people of working age, 11.4m in paid work and only 620k classified as unemployed. Where are the other 3.3 million Au citizens? Are there a lot more SAHMs than I thought, or is everyone else on "disability benefits" so not counted?

Just so you understand Ms Jade:

If you are working more than one hour a week, you are 'employed'.

If you are unemployed, but you are NOT ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR WORK you are not 'employed' nor 'unemployed'. You just don't show up on the statistics (i.e. your 3.3m missing people) and they are commonly referred to as the 'hidden unemployed'. Statistics at its finest

Where are the other 3.3 million Au citizens? Are there a lot more SAHMs than I thought, or is everyone else on "disability benefits" so not counted?

disclaimer: I agree that underemployment is a problem and that unemployment is on the rise.

3.3 million? I'm one of them ... not working, not looking for work, don't need to work, off doing other important things (was raising kids, now starting my own business).

Know quite a few people in the same situation. Not all are stay at home mum's either.

Some are artists, some are part time investors, some do a lot of volunteer work, some are flat-out stay at home mums, some work in their husbands business for no pay ... just because they don't "work" doesn't mean they "don't work".

It just means they don't "have" to work in a PAYE job for their family to survive and they choose to do other things with their time. Haven't you ever gone to the local shopping mall during working hours and wonder why there are so many people there?

And what is considered the working age? Is it 16-65. That covers a lot of full time students and retired people. And when there are around around 200,000 babies born each year in Australia ... if a parent chooses to stay home for the first few years, that adds up to a lot of not working and choosing not to work.

Oh, and then you have to add in those on carers' or disability pensions ... but I suspect they are the minority.

Last edited:
do those stats include underemployment, or is that used to mask the issue?

Employed persons comprise all those civilians aged 15 years and over who worked for one hour or more in the reference week or who had a job from which they were absent. Work is taken to mean work for one hour or more during the reference week, undertaken for pay, profit, commission or payment in kind, in a job, business or farm, or without pay in a family business or farm.

see here http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument for further definitions

My son was out of work for two months and was actively looking for work over that time. He was too young to qualify for unemployment benefits so he never applied and hence he would not have appeared in the unemployed figures. I wonder how many more are out there like that.

My son was out of work for two months and was actively looking for work over that time. He was too young to qualify for unemployment benefits so he never applied and hence he would not have appeared in the unemployed figures. I wonder how many more are out there like that.

HP, unemployment stats are collated by through survey, not by those claiming unemployment benefits.

LABOUR FORCE SURVEY

3 The Labour Force Survey is based on a multi-stage area sample of private dwellings (currently approximately 29,000 houses, flats, etc.) and a list sample of non-private dwellings (hotels, motels, etc.), and covers approximately 0.33% of the civilian population of Australia aged 15 years and over.

4 Information is obtained from the occupants of selected dwellings by specially trained interviewers using computer-assisted interviewing.

5 Households selected for the Labour Force Survey are interviewed each month for eight months, with one-eighth of the sample being replaced each month. The first interview is conducted face-to-face. Subsequent interviews are conducted by telephone (if acceptable to the respondent).

6 The interviews are generally conducted during the two weeks beginning on the Sunday between the 5th and 11th of each month. The information obtained relates to the week before the interview (i.e. the reference week). Each year, to deal with operational difficulties involved with collecting and processing the Labour Force Survey around the Christmas and New Year holiday period, interviews for December start four weeks after November interviews start, and January interviews start five weeks after December interviews start. As a result, January interviewing may commence as early as the 7th or as late as the 13th, depending on the year. Occasionally, circumstances that present significant operational difficulties for survey collection can result in a change to the normal pattern for the start of interviewing.

7 Estimates from the Labour Force Survey are published first in this publication 32 days after the commencement of interviews for that month, with the exception of estimates for each December which are published 39 days after the commencement of interviews.

Link is here

Currently doing a Stats course that is confusing the hell out of me and just wondering where the data comes from. Would it be PAYG or BAS lodging?

What about people from overseas? I know a couple that qualified to come over here in Australia where because of lack of funds to do further study and unable get a job along the lines of their overseas qualification ends up in a retail outlet. What impact would that create in the job market?

HP, unemployment stats are collated by through survey, not by those claiming unemployment benefits.

Wow, thanks for posting. That is news to me!

So in a population of 22Million people when they come out and tell us 12,000 full time jobs were lost there is every chance it is a statistical error.

Is there another place you can get the number on benifits?

That figure rising and falling while not an accurate picture of total unemployed would at least tell you if it was getting better or worse on a month to month basis?

I downloaded industry and checked the labour force by state and industry. I noticed that some industries are down while others are up. Whether there's enough info there to suggest a softening of the overall job market I'm not sure.

There seem to be a lot of people working in the aged care sector followed by construction. There's also a lot more people working in real estate services which I thought would have been the other way around.

I've attached an extract of the spreadsheet from the last two quarters (Feb 2011 and May 2011 respectively). Don't ask me what it means though, all I did was extract the data.

There's a bit of a jump on Education and Training (811,200 to 886,800). Does that mean spruikers are on the rise too? ;)

Attachments

• Job info.xls
    19 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I wonder how many people would be out there ,none working who can't get their name on the unemployment lists due too wife working or stay at home dads stay at home mums if the real number came out then the black and white umemployment numbers would be above 10%..
Every time i walked into the local dole place just to get my list they tell me they can't help me,i don't want any money just to be on list..

There's also a lot more people working in real estate services which I thought would have been the other way around.

Doesn't surprise me. Guy next door has been trying to find someone to mow his lawn for months now. He's on every waiting list he can find, but still can't find someone to mow.

I'm also trying to find a builder for our reno. Most are booked up until next year ... but did manage to wrangle a recommended one who's just coming off a 12mth job in a few weeks.

Obviously there is work out there - if you're prepared to actually "work". Surprising how many aren't prepared to do that last bit.

Last edited:
i can't find the number of people on the dole anywhere and even this measure would be flawed by long term unemployed who swapped to dsp, or those that were unemployed but had some savings that precluded them from getting the dole. none the less it would be interesting to know.

what is important is the change rather than the absolute number. it's on the rise.

you used to have a job, or not, generally. the casual utilisation and contract utilisation of the workforce in the last decade has meant that comparing UE figures today with past periods of downturn are difficult.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/polls/2011/4698/ is another survey of employment based on a much smaller sample than the abs showing 7.9% UE and rising UE.

Back