UNTOLD: The Strangest Secret

Thanks to the information from this thread, I have just finished reading the book "Ask and It Is Given". I am now practising it. I can relate a lot to method number 1 and 2 . Have not seen anything "given yet", still early in the piece I guess, but regardless, it sure is a much better way to look at life and to live. Thank you SS.

Here's why I simply don't buy the whole idea of the secret: there nothing presented that counts as any sort of evidence for the claims it makes.

It proposes a new law of the universe, "the law of attraction", that seems to mean whatever you think on and wish for is given to you by the universe, whether you believe this law or not.

If that isn't incredible enough, it goes on to explain some specifics.
- First that the universe for some reason will not grant a wish for something not to happen, it only understands such a wish as being a wish for it to happen. So if you wish to not get foreclosed for instance, the universe only hears "foreclose" and will grant you that wish.
- Second that it IS able to understand quantities. So it can understand a wish for $5 million dollars. Presumably that means if you wish to NOT receive $5 million dollars then it only hears the $5 million dollars and will grant you that.

Why the universe has such selective comprehension is not explained. Neither is how a universe can be conscious, how it can read your thoughts, why it would want to, how it can grant a wish, how it could ever resolve mutually exclusive wishes, and so on.

The bottom line is that what is conspicuous by its absence is any supporting evidence for the claims it makes. Wanting something to be true doesn't make it true. It's movie of pure speculation and wishful thinking.

Whether the "law of attraction" is a useful metaphor as opposed to whether it is literally true is another question.......

Here's why I simply don't buy the whole idea of the secret: there nothing presented that counts as any sort of evidence for the claims it makes.

It proposes a new law of the universe, "the law of attraction", that seems to mean whatever you think on and wish for is given to you by the universe, whether you believe this law or not.

If that isn't incredible enough, it goes on to explain some specifics.
- First that the universe for some reason will not grant a wish for something not to happen, it only understands such a wish as being a wish for it to happen. So if you wish to not get foreclosed for instance, the universe only hears "foreclose" and will grant you that wish.
- Second that it IS able to understand quantities. So it can understand a wish for $5 million dollars. Presumably that means if you wish to NOT receive $5 million dollars then it only hears the $5 million dollars and will grant you that.

Why the universe has such selective comprehension is not explained. Neither is how a universe can be conscious, how it can read your thoughts, why it would want to, how it can grant a wish, how it could ever resolve mutually exclusive wishes, and so on.

The bottom line is that what is conspicuous by its absence is any supporting evidence for the claims it makes. Wanting something to be true doesn't make it true. It's movie of pure speculation and wishful thinking.

Whether the "law of attraction" is a useful metaphor as opposed to whether it is literally true is another question.......

And so you rest your case:)
and I respect that and appreciate your comments.
I am sure that every thing you have stated will be real to you.
I have nothing but praise for the reinforced understanding I have gained from this movie.
By the way, It is my understanding that the so called NEW LAW you made judgement on has infact always been and is evident in nature and has been stirring the pot among our Quantum Physicists for quite a number of years now.
Another movie that you might like the watch is "what the Bleep do we know".

It is my opinion that the evidence that you require will only be found through your own experience of dealing with the emotions of the present thoughts that come to you.
I hope you find what you are looking for:) In saying that it could go either way:)
Simon

Hi again Mdk92
In your post you said.......

the law of attraction is exactly that. It attracts through emotion given to thought
The universe gives in accordance with your vibrational alignment to the object of your desire. Meaning, if your emotion attached to your continual thoughts about what you desire are in alignment with what you desire then you will get it. The work is in aligning your emotions not your thoughts. We have a full range of emotions to choose from in our emotional guidance system and if we allow that system to work for us instead of against us the evidence that you are seeking will emerge.

Cheers
Simon

mdk - i'm not going to get into an arguement with you about whether the power of attraction works or not. i know it works for me (and obviously a few others) and that is all i need to to know.

if you don't believe, and it doesn't work for you because you don't believe, then nothing that is said will change your mind.

just like everything else we take on board/learn in life. you are either ready to learn the lesson or not, and if not then nothing anyone says can convience you otherwise.

just like property investing - either it is great with the potential to make lots of money (as i believe) and it works for me, or a load of crock and unprovable because there is always the unguaranteed factor (as the other 90% of the population believes) and therefore it won't work for them.

that is only something you can decide - i could list all the postive things that have happened to me since i undertook the lessons of positive attraction, but i don't think they will change your mind because i cannot 100% prove they are the direct effect of my belief. i just "know" they are.

so now i humbly bow out and will enjoy life to even more fullfillment in every aspect.

Hi Lizzie
"in twenty years the only things you will regret are the things you didn't do - mark twain."
I like that:)
Mark twain also said:
I have been through some terrible things in my life,some of which actually happened.

Simon

I don’t think it’s an 'argument'. I pointed out why I personally don't believe it. Pretty straight forward I think.

Belief in property investment, an entirely earthly activity with known entities and processes, is not comparable to a belief in some unknown ethereal mind reading entity that grants wishes but has a curious comprehension defect. Belief in a religion is a more valid comparison for belief in the law of attraction IMHO.

I do think "the law of attraction" is a useful metophor :) . In the absence of evidience I just don't believe it is true in the literal sense.

This thread just gets more and more interesting to me. I must have heard 25 years ago that the "subconscious mind" works in exactly this way.

It (the subconscious) hears, and reacts, quite differently to the conscious mind. But the subconscious is actually the "auto-pilot" for our lives. So any attempt to change our path consciously is doomed unless we can get our subconscious onside.

And, no, mdk, I can't prove this either - but the thoughts expoused in this thread are starting to ring bells for me. A bit more researching required for me, methinks.

Regards,

G'day Les
Great to hear your thoughts.
I was first introduced to the Law of attraction about ten years ago in a little book by Andrew Mathews "Being Happy" It was a great read but the penny did not drop until just a short while ago.
It is funny how some things just elude us until we have reached a place to receive them.
Until recently I was one of those who just did not know what I truly wanted out of life. I was not clear about what I really wanted. But because of the insight gained through "the Secret" I am coming to a clear point of decision about what I want and that is to be the creator of my own reality instead of just accepting the passive reality that I have been accustom to for so long.
It all makes a heap of sense to me now. You see the reason I have been confused and confounded for so long is that I was in the habit of accepting things as they were and just working within that very restricting framework.
The natural world now is truly starting to make sense to me and I am finding a very exciting path to follow.
My focus now is to co-create an education system that will successfully open the minds of folk to their fuller potential. My role in this will be in the form of inspiration and encouragement. Because I now have a cause, I know that the financial freedom gained through the property portfolio I have developed over the past ten years will now boom to greater abundance and financially support my desire to achieve my goals.
Gee it is a great freeing feeling to finally know what I want to do when I grow up:)

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:
cartoon11.jpg

"Sometimes I ask myself, 'Why am I the lucky one?'"

Andrews Books are great Simon, here's a link http://www.seashell.com.au/AboutAMBooks.htm

Funnily enough after the secret, i looked up one of Andrews books I had called "Follow your Heart', not only great thoughts but great cartoons :D

"Life is really very simple. What we give out, we get back" Louise L. Hay

I have found this to be very true. I have been sitting here reading and trying to figure out how I adopted the belief system of positive thinking and the abundance 'theory'. I can't believe I had forgotten (hope this isn't too deep!) but it was basically out of desperation about 13 yrs ago when I was in my early 20's. After a couple of emotional months (long story) and feeling like life was never going to be right again and wishing desperately for the return of a relationship that was not healthy (story went a little deeper than this!) I was sitting on the lounge and had this over whelming urge to open a newspaper sitting next to me - upon opening it the first thing I saw was a prayer that said 'careful what you wish for as it may come true' anyway this was the moment that the light bulb went on and I made a decision that I was not able to feel any worse than I did at that point, I had hit rock bottom so the only way to go was up - I posted postive affirmations all over the house - went away by myself for a couple of days (very out of character), started meditating (first time ever) and only let positive thoughts come into my head - pushing away negative thoughts once they had been dealt with. It was amazing how (what I can only describe as 'the universe') sent me all that I needed from that point on to start healing. My first IP came at this point when my mum offered me my wedding money (I know longer needed ) as a deposit on a house. Little did I know that a few months later - and on the very day that I told myself that life was good and I was completely happy to be single that I met my husband - Life has continued to be good and 'abundant' since!!..."the thoughts we think and the words we speak create our experiences" Louise Hay

"and on the very day that I told myself that life was good and I was completely happy to be single that I met my husband - Life has continued to be good and 'abundant' since!!..."the thoughts we think and the words we speak create our experiences" Louise Hay

I can relate to that Simone. That is exactly the way that Julie and I came together.
Cheers
Simon

This thread just gets more and more interesting to me. I must have heard 25 years ago that the "subconscious mind" works in exactly this way.

It (the subconscious) hears, and reacts, quite differently to the conscious mind. But the subconscious is actually the "auto-pilot" for our lives. So any attempt to change our path consciously is doomed unless we can get our subconscious onside.

And, no, mdk, I can't prove this either - but the thoughts expoused in this thread are starting to ring bells for me. A bit more researching required for me, methinks.

Regards,

Les, when you say "It (the subconscious) hears, and reacts, quite differently to the conscious mind. But the subconscious is actually the "auto-pilot" for our lives. So any attempt to change our path consciously is doomed unless we can get our subconscious onside." I absolutely agree with you.

However that is absolutely not what the movie "the secret" is about. I'd suggest you watch the movie so you can understand actually what it is saying, because it is not what you appear to think it is saying, it is not about the subconscious vs. conscious mind.

cheers :)

Thanks for that Carl.

Sorry Skater - I think I gave you a bum steer - Google might have tried to gazump the clever people who came up with those ideas as I couldn't get 'em to work ...

I found an easier way that actually works though :cool:

1. Go to :
http://www.videodl.org/

2. Enter the URL for the video you want (eg.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6609422219219701699

3. Right click and save the resulting green "download link" to your hard drive (will automatically have a .flv extension, which is required)

4. Use your favourite video player to play the file on your local machine.

... if you are having problems playing video files using Windows Media Player try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ which is very good

HTH
Carl

Last edited:
Les, when you say "It (the subconscious) hears, and reacts, quite differently to the conscious mind. But the subconscious is actually the "auto-pilot" for our lives. So any attempt to change our path consciously is doomed unless we can get our subconscious onside." I absolutely agree with you.

However that is absolutely not what the movie "the secret" is about. I'd suggest you watch the movie so you can understand actually what it is saying, because it is not what you appear to think it is saying, it is not about the subconscious vs. conscious mind.

cheers :)

Hi mdk & Les

Just had to jump in here. The movie "the secret" focuses on the law of attraction. So how does that rule out what Les said. How is it NOT about subconscious vs. conscious mind?

I related to the bit where Loral talks of the tennis match that goes on in your head. I feel that is exactly what is going on in my head sometimes. My conscious mind is challenged by prior subconscious programming.

The beauty of the secret to me is that it can mean different things to different people. If it is bringing out good things in any of us - that's great.

Nice to hear from you Les.

Regards
Julie

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Fortune favours the bold

Sorry Skater - I think I gave you a bum steer - Google might have tried to gazump the clever people who came up with those ideas as I couldn't get 'em to work ...

I found an easier way that actually works though :cool:
Ahh, much better. I'm not much of a wiz with the old computer & I couldn't get anything to work with the last link. Thought it was me.

Thanks again.

An argument/discussion like this is really akin to arguing/discussing a religion - until you are at a point where you actually are looking for something different and want a change, no one will ever argue/talk you into it.
Having said that, I am not saying that those who feel the concept in "the secret" are any better than those who think those concepts are balony.
The fact is that the way the human mind works is if it wants to believe something badly enough, it will.
Personally, I can think of quite a few areas of my life where this "Law of Attraction" has come into play. A simple example, I knew my wife for quite a few years before we were married, and I wanted nothing more than to spend my life with her, to a point where I just knew we would do just that. While I knew her, she was in relationships with two other guys (at different times!), but that did not shake my belief at all. We have now been together for about 7 years. Are there other explanations for this? Yep, no doubt. Do I really care? nope, not really, as I am married to the girl of my dreams!

The biggest issue I am having at the moment is actually taking time out each day to really focus on what I want - not just financially but what sort of person I want to become, what do I want to be involved in, what do I want my relationships to be like, etc.
I honestly do think that you make your own reality, but to do so is a matter of taking control of your desired reality, rather than letting it happen to you.

Back