Vasectomy... advise me I am scared.

Hi Peter,

I haven't had it done but we did discuss it a few years back. At the time there was info in the media about two ways of doing it.

One is where both ends of the cut tube are tied off, this was the old way and could cause pain in goolies as the sperm backed up.

The other was to tie off/cauterise the end leading into the body and let the other end leak the sperm into the scrotum. This is then reabsorbed into the area and was regarded as the best by the interviewed expert.

Both methods were being used by various doctors. I do not know what the current thinking is but it may pay to ask.

The other was to tie off/cauterise the end leading into the body and let the other end leak the sperm into the scrotum. This is then reabsorbed into the area and was regarded as the best by the interviewed expert.
That sounds gross, but remember all that goo you see in the usual scheme of things doesn't actually come from the bits they disconnect, its bulked up rather a lot by the prostate I think - that thing the doctor is fishing for with the fingers up the bum appointment after you're 50 :)

Do they teach all this stuff at school? My offspring is still stuck at fannies and doodles and ... and ... EWWWWWW

Hi RE,

The last Doc I went to relied on a PSA test which is done with other blood tests (Cholesterol etc). Apparently if the PSA is low and there are no probs having a leak then my nether regions don't need to be invaded :D

However, if the PSA is elevated at all then the digit goes on the rampage :eek:

Peter

Minor op under local anaesthetic.. ;)

Don't be embarrassed :eek: as Doctor and theatre nurse most likely have done quite a few operations, we chose a well respected local surgeon.

Do follow up with the follow up sperm specimen, I think off hand hubby had to do this twice - but he made me deliver specimens to laboratory. :p

Hubby had his operation 27 years ago - what a stress free life.

Tip...
Just don't fall asleep on the lounge in case little kids jump off the back of the lounge and land on the family jewels.

Regards
Sheryn

My husband's really scared too. He's onto his third referral. If you have an older, male doctor surely they can recommend a good surgion.??

Since we are sharing. I had a vasectomy about 18 years ago, the stitches got infected and it was damn painful for a few weeks, I walked like a cowboy who'd done too many miles. That's the bad part and it's something that could happen with any surgery.

The good news. It all works like it did before the op. Sorry Lil if your reading(TMI).

If you're finished having kids stop thinking about it and just get it done.

Regards

Andrew

The thought of getting a vas - puts images of Gangs of New York in my mind. Ever see that movie? Big old meat cleaver, a guy butchering up meat.

I went into my GP about a year ago, he said you wanna get a vas? And I'm thinking - yeah you're pushing 70, shaky as **** as it is. I'm real confident about you doing that.

Shivers all around then once the fear subsides I come out with a meek I'll come back to you. Go out to pay the bill, they open up this book with barcodes and payments that they scan into the computer. First box at the top of page 1 is for a vas.

Wheres my car keys, I need to get outta here.

Now I'm sure the doctors cracking up after I leave. Way to cross sell on that flu shot.

Now as options (seriously)!
Theres always a vas-clip
http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/healthyforlife/2145.shtml

or find out if Adjudin is available yet.

One has to make a bit light of it really. I'm sure you'll be just fine Peter...

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 77
Hmmm, vas-clip 97.5% effective.

Vasectomy "nearly 100%" effective.

I wonder how much difference there is between 97.5% and nearly 100%. :D Enough, I hope!! ;) Is that per patient, or how "reliable" the procedure is?!? :confused:

If you want an alternative, pretty much foolproof option, discuss with your wife about getting a Mirena IUD http://www.mirena-us.com/.... they have way less problems than other IUD's, and have the added advantage of no "auntie flo", or "monthlies". (after the first 3-4 months)
They last for around 5 years, and cost about $30 after Medicare pays for their share.... so very cost effective solution as well!
I had a different type of IUD previously, and it was awful... I felt like I was getting pregnant and miscarrying nearly every month. I persisted for around 6 months, and then swapped to the Mirena. It uses a combination of IUD method together with locally released hormones. Takes less than 5 minutes for Dr to insert and take out.
Its fabulous....highly recommended, and a good option for those who don't feel comfortable going down the vasectomy path.
Pen

So Peter, made that appointment yet?

Discussed in depth with Wife on the weekend. She is keen especially after she realising we are probably still fertile at 43 pushing 44. I joke 50 year ago we would have 10 kids!:) She didnt laugh:mad:

Mirena? humm some how I think wife would say "piker" but lets see if that has a chance. Personally to many IUD have failed/caused complications in the past so who says new model will not be an issue in another 5 years?

Looking into Clinics.

Wife has put me on "rations" until we resolve the matter so there is some motivation.;)

Peter

Hmmm, vas-clip 97.5% effective.

Vasectomy "nearly 100%" effective.

I wonder how much difference there is between 97.5% and nearly 100%. :D Enough, I hope!! ;) Is that per patient, or how "reliable" the procedure is?!? :confused:

97.5% means in a simple calculation every 100 times “moments” 2.5 will get wriggers through. However it could be after 97 moments or the first one. The stress would be too much.

On stats….according to the stats conceiving dear daughter at 38, first time pregnancy, no issues, was meant to be a less than 5% chance but…. she exists?

I can tell you were have not have unprotected sex 95 times before, more like 6 times in 25 years of together! Working on “moments" average of once a week for 25 years. That a less than 0.5% probably, not even 1%.

Summary: 100% sure or nothing.

Peter

Rations!!!!!..

How about rationing the times you mow the lawn, wash dishes, hang up the bath mat, put the toilet seat down.... :)

Dont mow, it need it bad.

We have a dishwasher.

bath mat yep.

Seat , yep,

WW I feel pretty sure any counter arguement on my part would only backfire. To paraphrase George Costanza in Seinfield "I have no hand".

Anyhow rations assumes less:confused:. It could be only 5 times a week instead of 7? ;)On that point I have nothing to add.:D

Peter

PS she does not read this forum. Thankfully.

Peter, the mod deleted my post which had useful info if you did not want a snip... so if you like, PM me and I will send it to you.

Back