Vibrator shuts down airport

Do you think that some ppl have gone slightly paranoid with the whole terrorist thing???? or am I desensitized?

Vibrator shuts down airport link
October 4, 2004

AN adult sex toy shut down a major regional airport for almost an hour today when it was mistaken for a bomb, police said.

The vibrating object was discovered at Mackay Airport by a security officer who noticed the suspicious package inside a rubbish bin at the terminal cafeteria at 9.15am (AEST), a police spokeswoman said.

Cafeteria manager Lynne Bryant said her staff had been cleaning tables when they noticed a strange humming noise coming from the rubbish bin.

"It was rather disconcerting when the rubbish bin started humming furiously," she said.

"We called security and next minute everybody was being evacuated while they checked it out."

She said in retrospect the humming sounded exactly like a vibrator - but it was better to be safe then sorry.

"You can't afford to take chances," Ms Bryant said.

oh pleeaasseeeee - don't ppl know they should take out the batteries when travelling ;)

Ecogirl

Ecogirl said:
Do you think that some ppl have gone slightly paranoid with the whole terrorist thing???? or am I desensitized?
Why Ecogirl - are you a terrorist!!!!!?

hmm - this sounds like a classic case of 'is that a bomb in your pocket or are you happy to see me'.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I feel sory for the woman who admitted to thoughing it in the bin. She will be on TV tomorow on the news so we can all have a perv.. I meen laugh at her expence.

A friend of mine saw a box wedged in a very awkward place at a very busy Sydney railway station (Parramatta) and wondered if it might be a bomb. He ummed and ahhed about whether to report it and finally decided that it was better to say something, imagining the consequences if he didn't and the guilt he'd feel if it did turn out to be a bomb and people got hurt.

The guard walked up to the box and kept kicking it until he'd dislodged it from it's home!!! It turned out to be rubbish and the guard laughed at my friend for being so paranoid.

A couple of things to take note of here -
-the guard obviously hasn't had any training on bomb alerts
-my friend is less likely to report suspicious looking packages from now on even though we are encouraged to do so by the media
-had it been a bomb the guard would have been laughing on the other side of the platform and taken who knows with him!

I don't think it's paranoia.
We are a target for terrorism and any terrorist activity is likely to happen in well populated places.

I think by and large, most Australians think it couldn't happen to us. It only happens overseas. All I can say is - remember the Hilton bombing. That was probably the first bit of terrorism that Australia had experienced, and I can remember that most Australians were shocked that it had happened here - in Australia - the friendly country.

The world is a lot more dangerous now and terrorists don't have any regard for what country you are or how friendly you are.

Stay alert and stay alive and look out for each other.

Cheers
Olly

Mangoater26 said:
I feel sory for the woman who admitted to thoughing it in the bin. She will be on TV tomorow on the news so we can all have a perv.. I meen laugh at her expence.

On last nights news they said it was a bloke.

I wonder if he just chickened out of taking it through the xray and being questioned over it at the last moment.

My wife is a medical student and had found her stethoscope in her bag showing up on the xray has had her walked through quickly past queues and had apologies for delays - "sorry doc" they say!

Reminds me of an old joke.

Young lass went to the doctor as her "vibrating sex toy" had become lodged...well, you guess where.

The Doc said " Well, I supppose we had better see if we can remove this"

"Oh no" said the lass " I was hoping you could just change the batteries!" :eek:

GarryK

I'm guessing that part of the vibrators' popularity, Acey, is that they are ALWAYS happy to see you! ;)

Regards,

Kenny

Aceyducey said:
Why Ecogirl - are you a terrorist!!!!!?

hmm - this sounds like a classic case of 'is that a bomb in your pocket or are you happy to see me'.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Olly said:
I think by and large, most Australians think it couldn't happen to us. It only happens overseas. All I can say is - remember the Hilton bombing. That was probably the first bit of terrorism that Australia had experienced, and I can remember that most Australians were shocked that it had happened here - in Australia - the friendly country.

The world is a lot more dangerous now and terrorists don't have any regard for what country you are or how friendly you are.

Actually, statistics indicate that the world is a much safer place to live in than it was previously. Crime has dropped dramatically, all the way from petty theft to assault and murder, to terrorism. Identiy theft is the major increasing crime and whilst traumatic for the victim, the usually don't end up in a body bag.

Terrorism is far higher on peoples minds these days. During the cold war era there was significantly more terrorism than there is today and the body count was much higher. I guess that bombing a hotel paled when compaired to the implications of the cold war, which isn't on the agenda today.

PT_Bear - SHHHHHH!!!!!

The government WANTS us to believe the world is more dangerous. It gives them another few years in power :)

Frankly I reckon the world of today is much safer on average than it has been over the last thousand years.

However as the media keeps talking about crime, terrorism & reporting the bad things that happen, people begin to believe the world is a more dangerous place.

Of course the 60s & 70s were far safer than today, if you don't count caning kids, acceptance of wife beating, police brutality (not called that because it was OK to clip a suspected felon round the ears), attacks on minority groups (physical and verbal) or the behaviour of your local priest (who was trusted & forgiven)......the definition of 'safe' has clearly changed!

I do believe it's good we have raised our standards so high- but objectively we expect much higher levels of safety to start with.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
The government WANTS us to believe the world is more dangerous.

However as the media keeps talking about crime, terrorism & reporting the bad things that happen, people begin to believe the world is a more dangerous place.
Spot on, Acey. And didn't Farenheit 9/11 illustrate this point oh so clearly ! Government bamboozling the masses with hysteria about safety fears. Some companies are actually doing quite well from all the propaganda too, which makes it all the more shameful.

I know this sounds corny but it is a different world since 9/11.

Before 9/11 you could travel anywhere in the world and terrorism would hardly enter your mind.

Gee, I hardly ever heard of muslims, and you could travel all those countries without the fear of getting your head cut off, or blown up because you are a from the western world.

I think people are more paranoid about the trees and little spotted frogs dissappearing. :D

cheers

Voodoo,

Frankly IMHO it's better that you have heard of the Islamic religion!.

It's one of the great religions of the world & has a cultural significance equal to, if not greater than the christian religions.

And your chance of having your head chopped off or being blown up was much greater in the middle-east in the mid-70s than it is today.

You're just more aware of the risk now.

BTW - based on terrorist activities worldwide during the last three years you're at greater risk from Christian terrorists than Islamic ones.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Acey etc

And I think "terrorism" is the word now used to describe a lot of the civil unrest in countries that has been going on for decades.

Interesting that the recent incident in India didn't seem to get much of a run in the media. Perhaps because it's not seen as a threat to the "westerners".

North Korea and Pres Kim Jong-il worry me the most. He is one disturbed/unpredictable guy, with Nukes.

GarryK

BTW - based on terrorist activities worldwide during the last three years you're at greater risk from Christian terrorists than Islamic ones.

Aceyducey[/QUOTE]

Aahhh, Please explain??

I remember a few years ago i was talking to a travel agent and he said that when he travels to the middle east he uses their airlines, because they never hijak their own aircrafts.
This did get me thinking and made a lot of sense.

I still believe the world was a safer place before 9/11.

cheers

voodoo said:
I still believe the world was a safer place before 9/11.
It always depends on what part of the world. The difference now is we perceive the chance of terrorism in the places where we live and visit to be greater.

Many years ago my sister lived and worked on a kibbutz in Israel, in the shadow of the Golan Heights, when that was a flashpoint area. She often saw the lights from bombs etc in the night. She was never especially worried.

She then went to London- when the IRA was very active. An especially nasty bomb was exploded in a street she had been in just hoiurs before. That spooked her.

Far more people are killed by cars in the US regularly than were killed on 9/11.

Back