Watanobbi, NSW Central Coast

Is anyone familiar with the Watanobbi area?
It's right next to Wyong which isn't thought of as the nicest suburb.
There are lots of very nice properties in Watanobbi, I'm interested in hearing your opinions about this suburb as far as a place to live.

Watanobbi AND Wyong

Full of Bogans

Handy to centrelink.

Joke.

Why wouldn't you Hit (crash into) a Kid on a bike in Wyong or Watanobi ?

cause its probably your Bike

CHISEL

I gathered that after visiting on the weekend. There is a small pocket with newer houses that doesn't seem too bad, but the rest is not somewhere I'd want to live.

Watanobbi

I belive that some people in the area have tried to have to have the name changed!
Friends of ours bought the most expensive place in Watanobbi (mid 300') a few years ago(according to Telegraph property guide) . They have said the problem with the area is that there is still quite a low socio economic element to the area and they have seen limited CG.

hope this helps!

Is anyone familiar with the Watanobbi area?
It's right next to Wyong which isn't thought of as the nicest suburb.
There are lots of very nice properties in Watanobbi, I'm interested in hearing your opinions about this suburb as far as a place to live.

Hi Tiger,

Pros: Some nice properties, close for access to the F3 freeway for commuters, close to Wyong train station, close to new fast food outlets at North Wyong, $255K median house price is affordable (prices seem to have come off about 10% - so probably bottom of market now).

Cons: Under flight path of Warnervale airport (although only small aircraft - and will probably be closed longer term as locals oppose its existence), lots of lower socio-economic element (as previously mentioned), , hasn't got a good name amongst locals.

I thought you were buying a property in Gorokan - what happened with that one?

Aimjoy

Last edited:
Pros: Some nice properties, close for access to the F3 freeway for commuters, close to Wyong train station, close to new fast food outlets at North Wyong, $255K median house price is affordable (prices seem to have come off about 10% - so probably bottom of market now).

Cons: Under flight path of Warnervale airport (although only small aircraft - and will probably be closed longer term as locals oppose its existence), lots of lower socio-economic element (as previously mentioned), , hasn't got a good name amongst locals.

Any views of the yields generally available there?

Any views of the yields generally available there?

Hi Hi,

(that just doesn't sound right does it?)

Yields are 5 - 6% and are getting better as rents rise and house prices stay flat or slightly decline. But I suspect this is the same story in many parts of the country right now.

Aimjoy

Have you checked out Blue Haven? (next to Charm Haven, and opposite San Remo).
I recently purchased our PPOR there in the newer section of the suburb.
I think the median price is $275k at the moment. I paid $238k for our 3 bedroom house, which is valued around $250k at the moment.

Looks the goods for some good CG in the future. Recent developments include a new shopping centre (Coles currently being built), a couple of day care centres, public school, parks, and quick and easy access to the freeway.

There are also some houses that are on the waterfront. I have never seen a suburb with so many young families (including ours).

Not interested in Blue Haven. All bland housing estate on small blocks. Nothing unique about most properties there. Also power station in the back yard. Even agents Im dealing with selling properties there tell me to stay away.

Im targeting Killarney Vale, Berekly Vale, Toukley, Kanwal, Wyongah and thats about it.

In comparison with Watanobbi in terms of uniqueness of property, there is not alot of difference compared to Blue Haven. Whilst there are smaller blocks in Blue Haven, the properties are not that bland. Not sure how much of Blue Haven you checked out?

I have done the drive throughout Blue Haven and Watanobbi, and Blue Haven won hands down (newer part and older part though are like chalk and cheese).

CG in Blue Haven past 10 years is around 9% compound. With a growing population there will be sufficient CG when the market gets back on track. I think with the recent commercial developments taking place is evidence this has been identified as a future growth area.

Dont understand why the agents would be telling you to stay away. Did they suggest Killarney and Berkeley Vale? Unless there have been some major changes there in recent years, you get your fair share of dero's living there.

Watanobbi would be a suburb I would not really want to live in (for the most part), especially near Cutler drive.

Tiger, I would be looking at Charmhaven or Kanwal. Charmhaven is an older suburb, leafy, on the lake and with much more character than Blue Haven or Wattanobbi {rows upon rows of houses all the same}Its very close to a large shopping centre and not far from the F3.
Kanwal is a mix of old and new and a house within the Kanwal primary school zone adds many thousands in value. Prices in both areas are so cheap {compared to when I bought 18 months ago}.
Gorokan is next to Kanwal but I wouldnt consider that area. There are endless rentals in Gorokan and Kanwal is a much more sort after address.
San Remo doesnt have the best reputation as far as resale.
It sure is a buyers market right now. Good luck.

Im targeting Killarney Vale, Berekly Vale, Toukley, Kanwal, Wyongah and thats about it.

Add my thoughts to Sootygirl,

Toukley: You'll pay more because its closer to the beach (Norah Head) and because lots of it is zoned for units.
Kanwal: Good name, previous Yeramba Estates with nice housing. Can't go wrong there.
Wyongah / Tuggerawong: Closely held, good value to be had there and many ppl who want into the area because of the small (country-feel) Tuggerawong School. Waterfront reserves going for mid $400K's - cheap!
BlueHaven is considered to be Mt Druit by the sea (by the locals) but it is only a perception I'm sure.....but what is that old marketing saying? "perception is reality".

All the best with the search.

Aimjoy

Can you advise which parts of the central coast have "stayed flat or slightly declined"

The central coast has absolutely tanked....zero demand.

As far as investing anywhere on the central coast, it has a similar demographic and growth/yield structure to Sydney's western suburbs. (beside a few prime areas, being Terrigal, Avoca & surrounds and Pearl Beach/and lately Patonga)

The only time the low socio economic areas of the central coast (which is 90% of it) increase in value is with a national price boom. So not great fundamentals. Not bad, just not great....about the same as Sydney's Western suburbs.

QUOTE=Aimjoy;446073]

Yields are 5 - 6% and are getting better as rents rise and house prices stay flat or slightly decline.

Aimjoy[/QUOTE]

hilly1981 - I am not touching Watanobbi now either.

Kanwal is a prime target and I have several properties Im interested in there.

evand - prices have bottomed out on the coast but there must be some sort of demand. I've missed out on 2 or 3 properties I really liked because someone beat me to it and thats just in the last month.

As for comparing it to Syd's western suburbs - the proximity to beaches and an actual lifestyle put it heads and shoulders above anything in western sydney.

Hi, a few questions.

How do you know prices have bottomed? (beside opinion)

Can i ask how far below asking price you are making offers amd missing out?

I meant demographic are similar (income, % of families, ages etc) not lifestyle.

Central Coast lifestyle has been described as 'Blacktown by the beach" by my neighbor. I wont make comment there.

hilly1981 - I am not touching Watanobbi now either.

Kanwal is a prime target and I have several properties Im interested in there.

evand - prices have bottomed out on the coast but there must be some sort of demand. I've missed out on 2 or 3 properties I really liked because someone beat me to it and thats just in the last month.

As for comparing it to Syd's western suburbs - the proximity to beaches and an actual lifestyle put it heads and shoulders above anything in western sydney.

Tiger, if you have any questions re properties in Kanwal, just ask. I have 2 there {and my ppor} Unfortunately this area is not up on Google street view yet.
There is a rather large retirement village under construction there with more earmarked {at least the land is zoned 'seniors living'} close to the hospital.. Since there is not a lot of rentals in Kanwal at any given time {Im sure you know this}, I would think that the added employment generated by these villages will increase rental demand.

Can you advise which parts of the central coast have "stayed flat or slightly declined"

Yes I can - as can anyone with an internet connection and some access to sales data. Please see the 5 year graph attached, sourced from the Commonwealth Bank from Apr 03 to present day in 08. Looks pretty damned flat to slightly trending down me :)

The central coast has absolutely tanked....zero demand.
This is simply just plain UNTRUE. I keep in regualr contact with local REA's and a close one in Charmhaven sold 18 properties last month - one of their best months on record.

Evand, you are approaching my definition of the D&G category and although I enjoy the banter, I'm pretty much over your negativity and might just put you on the "ignore" list. (Big Deal I hear you say.)
Hey I'm not a pie in the sky either but I don't think you need to talk down the market (or talk it up it that is not what is actually happening either).

Aimjoy

Attachments

• cc0308.jpg
    cc0308.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 192
Back