Water tanks

Is installing the water tank going to benefit any more than claiming it's expense at tax time? Decisions should not be based on the tax incentives alone, otherwise all you are doing is spending $$$ to get back cents.

pinkboy

My manager in a previous role analysed the costs of maintaining water tanks, their filters, motors and switch over valves etc over one year and found the cost was twice the average benefit of the water savings - and it was the tenants who got all the benefit. There were many properties involved, all newish where regulations required the tanks to be installed .....but none requiring them to be kept in use which is why he was assessing their benefit. Being green does come at a cost.

Problem with water tanks and tenants. At a complex where I have an ip, water tanks were installed by one owner. We had tremendous storms and tanks were overflowing to the point where the water built up on the roof and flooded the unit.

Tenant did not turn on tap to let some water out ... Never used the tank water the whole time they were there

Chris

They cost a small fortune too, the concrete slab, the pump, the plumbing. Why would you?

Save money on water?:confused: already have foundations, my cousins an electrician and my best mates a plumber. Seems to work I think. Not hard to fit a tank yourself really...

Problem with water tanks and tenants. At a complex where I have an ip, water tanks were installed by one owner. We had tremendous storms and tanks were overflowing to the point where the water built up on the roof and flooded the unit.

Tenant did not turn on tap to let some water out ... Never used the tank water the whole time they were there

Chris

Seems someone hasn't installed it properly. Where's your overflow going?

Save money on water?:confused: already have foundations, my cousins an electrician and my best mates a plumber. Seems to work I think. Not hard to fit a tank yourself really...

How was I supposed to know your family tree? We installed ours at home ourselves and it still cost over $3000. What size tank are you thinking about?

$3000!!!! why so much????? what size is it?

im getting a slimline tank 3000L ive already got a pump. (had it for ages) all up to have it ready for them probably cost me like $1000-$1100

Best bang for buck with tanks is 5000 gallon (22700 ltrs)
Can get them for around $2500 delivered.
So, $0.50/gallon of capacity.

Go either way on size, up or down, and it gets dearer per gallon of capacity.

Level out a site, not hard.
Chuck in a few pipes, grab a $250 pump and hook up to house or garden taps, not hard.

Have done a few of our own and some for clients.

Then you have water storage for ever...well a very very long time.

Will water become cheaper and more plentiful?

Only thing is, most councils require you to put this water down the dunny...!:eek:

No way, it's pure drinking water.

i use mine for drinking water and plumbed the dish washer up to it.
also just hooked it up so the house can run on rain water if i want but dunny will still runs on town supply.

but really the cost of water is nothing. most of the bill is supply charge and sewerage
only $50/qtr is the water cost

i use mine for drinking water and plumbed the dish washer up to it.
also just hooked it up so the house can run on rain water if i want but dunny will still runs on town supply.

but really the cost of water is nothing. most of the bill is supply charge and sewerage
only $50/qtr is the water cost

Bang on!! Well said :)

Best bang for buck with tanks is 5000 gallon (22700 ltrs)
Can get them for around $2500 delivered.
So, $0.50/gallon of capacity.

Go either way on size, up or down, and it gets dearer per gallon of capacity.

Level out a site, not hard.
Chuck in a few pipes, grab a $250 pump and hook up to house or garden taps, not hard.

Have done a few of our own and some for clients.

Then you have water storage for ever...well a very very long time.

Will water become cheaper and more plentiful?

Only thing is, most councils require you to put this water down the dunny...!:eek:

No way, it's pure drinking water.

Most councils have got no idea . Rain water is Great to clean your car with! And gardens love it! For drinking need quite a few filters.

Also depends what kind of setup you have for your tank too whether it's a dry or wet setup.

Last edited:
Never had filters on our rain water.

Don't need them.

We drink it straight from the tank, whole house is plumbed to tanks and it tastes great.
Shower and wash clothes, beautiful soft water.

Town water full of chlorine and fluoride chemical rubbish.

No need to chamois the car when rinsed in rain water, dries clear.

:)

What return will you get on this purchase for your ip? Can you charge more rent? Do you save onrates? Assume tenants are already paying for usage and you pay service charges?

Yes, charge more rent.

Council rates include a planned increase in water usage charges each year ongoing.
All the talk out here is water and how to conserve or store it for the future.

People can choose to ignore water and take it for granted, however we are taking pro active steps. And they are not hard steps to take.

Tenants eyes light up when shown how much water they can have for free.

Just saying from our part of the world.

Back