We stil have our bloody housing dilemma,help !

I think cemetaries are great.
Rob and I often stop at them, just to say hi, and to read the headstones.
I try to make it to the ones off to the side, where many people may just overlook or not visit often.
I have no intention of every "resting" in a cemetary, but find them very fainating places.
I'd buy a property beside in a heartbeat..and especially if there was an old one on a property. How cool that would be.

Actually same here Kath until a few yrs back anyway.
We had one behind one of the family farms , beautiful wild setting , clift in the background , huge trees. I always wanted to paint it .
Until one day I stopped in going past as I often did and and a young guy from in at the town was sitting out on one of the graves .
I vaguely knew him and gave a sort of nod , he nodded back and I left without going in that day.
A few days later I found out he was killed a week earlier and was buried there.
I don't feel quite the same about them now and never went back to paint it.

PS , while I'm in the area I just thought I'd mention. The above is what I thought I saw but in all honesty , to this day how can you really be sure. I've thought of that in many ways since , maybe it was just a premonition , subconscious playing tricks on you or some mind thing , I wasn't going back to check though .

Cheers

Last edited:
You are making me envious, acreage, near Great Ocean Road, an idea,we buy one, you buy the other, we rent to each other.

All tax deductible?

I'm not really able to shift just yet, but the idea seemed good.:)

That is a good idea OO , if only I could find somebody . Seen plenty over this few yrs with two titles or big enough to divide , too dear for me but two you get a share at 1/2 price.
I know you were talking separate places but these were just a few similar ideas I've had over time with properties that have come up .
There's one up the road now you can ride or walk into the beach or pub from . Old house and 5 acs , 3 are off to the side sort of separate . That'd divide later on . I actually tried to get a partner for that one but no luck.
There was a 10ac on the lake , can canoe from there over to main beach , it's got a bloody phone town a few doors down though.

Anyrate , just got back from checking out the neighbours . Some have grown up kids , one behind and through the bush has got 9 so his doen his bit that's foresure . Few others around apparently . There's also a bus that goes to her school and a couple of kids that get driven in.
Bloody nice people actually , gonna look into building tomorrow .

Cheers

Last edited:
buy it!

plant a dense hedge along the cemetry boundary and enjoy the peace and quite.

don't worry about your daughter. be excited about the new place ... if you are excited, she will be too ... and in a few years she'll be having all her friends around for "ghost" parties!

make it a positive experience - now - about that pony .... :D

Thanks guys and your so bloody right I know it . You know , when you've been looking for so long , you begin to get a bit messed up, we're both feeling the pinch .

But Marg , would you seriously build next to the cemetery ? 25mts ?

Would you believe that cemetery block , is on the Great Ocean road , it's backed by 8 ac of bush , you can walk into town /beach/resterants and , it has bloody great views , plus, it's a private direct deal and not on net , which I really like but eh ,next to a cemetery ? .
My wife was saying only last night she can't decide now on which block because the cemetery block is in such an unreal spot as apposed to 10ac ,20mins out . ahhhrrrrr , what am I gonna do !!!!
Macca , I was in the middle of taking yours and everyone else's advice yesterday , looked into all the building permit stuff , spent the whole day on phone to different council sections , that was fun !
I've said I'll take the 10ac thanks , I can't live next to a cemetery, surely and hey what would the neighbours think , uhh hu ,get it . No seriously I mean apart from all the obvious , wouldn't you feel like a laughing stock, not to mention creepy ?

Seriously, I wouldn't have a problem with a cemetery.
It would actually be better ...no living neighbbours close by.

Cemeteries are built for the respect of loved ones.
How can that be creepy?

You could always do reseach on your "neighbours" and make them more human.

Ahh that's funny , nope don't have to worry about neighbours with that one the cemetary's the only one . That town was originally a fishing village actually and there would be be lots of interesting history and tales fore sure . The new section is up on top of the hill now well away from that block.

Naa it is really strange though, my wife has the same attitude, she can not see any probs at all , with building next to a cemetery .
She said to me last night , what would be wrong with that - whattt !

I don't get it !

I think I know which ex fishing village...nah, nah nar, nah, nar....:):D

Absolutely beautiful views if it is that place, wow.

And there some amazing stories that go with that town, and the coffee and breakfast's and lunches and teas are....SCRUMPTIOUS!!!

if it's going to be your home, and you're comfortable with being next to the really interesting cemetary - then go for it.

it's not as if your doing a quick flip for a few bucks. this will be your "home".

plant and landscape so that you don't see the cemetary - or - make a feature of it. no one is laughing at you, stop being paranoid.

Might be it OO , the views don't come much more amazing than around there, I'll pm ya . Dunno why but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to personal info over the net.
But really are you guys for real , a home next to the cemetery , bet none of the blokes would, it doesn't even sound right .
I'm actually scared to go back and look at that one because what if she talks me into it - too weird !

Well, Mr OO is fine with a cemetery, we drive home sometimes from looking at our IP's ----past a cemetery and he asked me would I live next door to one, meaning town house block size tho', but acreage I have no problems with, he is fine with it. He always requotes/thinks of his brother's line about a 'quiet sort'. Mr OO is rather corny. And forgets his jokes he tells, again and again..

I must be too rowdy.

It must be a female thing , none of you girls , wifey included seem to even mind the idea at all . That blocks been up 12 mths , I've never even considered it though because of the cemetery . I only said to her the other day , well there is still that cemetery block , she goes and looks at it and loved it .

Well, Mr OO is fine with a cemetery, we drive home sometimes from looking at our IP's ----past a cemetery and he asked me would I live next door to one, meaning town house block size tho', but acreage I have no problems with, he is fine with it. He always requotes/thinks of his brother's line about a 'quiet sort'. Mr OO is rather corny. And forgets his jokes he tells, again and again..

I must be too rowdy.

Well yeah, nice and quiet that's for sure. Well you'd reckon they would be but eh maybe not ha ha . So was he talking a town size block he/you would or ? This one is only 600m , but it's joined by 8 ac of bush.

Where as the other one is 10 ac and - no cemetery.

Well yeah, nice and quiet that's for sure. Well you'd reckon they would be but eh maybe not ha ha . So was he talking a town size block he/you would or ? This one is only 600m , but it's joined by 8 ac of bush.

Where as the other one is 10 ac and - no cemetery.

ah - i thought the cemetry one still had acres with it.

in that case i'd go the 10ha - but not because of the cemetary, but because of the size and what you can do with it.

isn't it strange - the majority that believed in ghosts (other thread) was also women, who don't mind living next to a cemetary ....

Ah, me too, thought the cemetery was next to the 10 acres, although if that scrub and bush is b/w the 600 sqm block, that's fine, surely?, I just have resale ability imprinted in my brain.

Yeah couldn't beat 10 ac could ya . And from an investment point of view which I know we people always have ticking over in the back of our minds no matter what we're looking at , there is always something you can do with land isn't there. Love land ,I'd buy the whole country if I could .

Na the cemetery one is only 600m the 8ac of bush is just behind it but unfortunately though to the side, instead of stuck up the back amongst that 8ac, it only has the cemetery 25m over , bit cosey for my liking .

This is reallllly good though, we're gettin somewhere , I can feel a decision coming on !

Yep saw the ghost thread Lizzie and thought nope , not going there so I haven't read it.
At my time I begin to doubt my own mind, eyes, made up reasoning, excuses, how could that be and I really didn't want to know anyway.
But I did talk about that with a friend of ours once , female and yep , she wanted me to take her there would you believe , not a bloody hope in hell I said.
So you might be right I think.

Cheers

Last edited:
You know the other thing is, how is the cemetery travelling? I mean is it looking a bit small? That 8 acres could come in handy? Or the 600sqm? Nice lawn maintained ? Buy the 600 and lease it? Sell it to Shire for a profit? Set up something useful for a cemetery? What kind of business is handy to cemeteries?

It was with an agent for awhile and he put 'great restaurant site' on it , how's that for a promo.

But no they've already bought land up on the hill now and new comers go up there , better view !!!!!!!!!

Since the agent is advertising it as a "resturant" site, have you checked the zoning?

You may not be able to build your house on there if you bought it anyway, considering this..

Back