What about Stafford Heights - Bris ?????

Hi forumites
I am looking at a 3 bed place in Stafford Heights. Anyone have advice on what the suburb is like, ie transport, shops, who lives there, what is it like to rent and where should I avoid.
Hope you can help

Thanks
:D

I like Stafford Heights. I didn't reply because I'm from Melbourne and I thought a Brisbanite might help you out. I own a post war highset in Stafford which has been good for me. Stafford Heights, true to its name is on the hill which is a plus. I bought in 2001 for 153K, peaked in2003 @ 290k and now would sell for 260K. Returns are 200pw / 3bdrm unrenovated. Rent could be pushed up easily but at the moment it suits to have the tenant on month by month so I havn't upped it. There is no train station at Stafford but it is well serviced by buses etc... I think Stafford/stafford heights is undervalued for 7Klm from the CBD.
Can't really tell you anything else and the above is pure opinion.

MJK :D

I don't know Brisbane at all.

But there are a few mentions of Stafford Heights in the forum- do a search on Stafford Heights, or even just Stafford, and you will find a few opinions out there.

not so lucky said:
Hi forumites
I am looking at a 3 bed place in Stafford Heights. Anyone have advice on what the suburb is like, ie transport, shops, who lives there, what is it like to rent and where should I avoid.
Hope you can help

Thanks
:D

Hi not so lucky,

I lived in the area for a couple of years in 2001/2002 and remember it quite fondly. Like MJK says, good value for somewhere <10kms from the city, still some decent sized blocks, and strong rental demand with low vacancies.

I personally think quite a few suburbs in the same area are worth a look at, particularly Wooloowin, Kedron, and Gordon Park. Each of these is slightly closer to the CBD, and has the added advantage of both closer proximity to Lutwyche Rd (and hence an easy run to the city), and easier access to a train station (if you have the money, Id also take a look at Wilston and Windsor - great spots but a little bit pricier)

You'll have trouble finding anything to rent under about $250/week minimum for a 3 bedder, and the rental market seems to be tightening (from the half an eye I keep on the area :) ).

Theres some great shopping in the area, with a huge complex at Chermside and a smaller complex in Stafford. Aside from the lack of a train station, buses are easy to find and there are some great schools and parks in the area.

All in all, I think the area is quite a good pick, and dont think you will go wrong in the long term.

Best wishes,

Jamie.

This is one of those sleepy suburbs of Brisbane. You will see the odd jazzy renovation jobs done on one of the old post war homes but predominantly untouched. It could be a case of waiting for the original inhabitants to move on and let the next generation take over.

Other surrounding suburbs that have pre and post war homes have undergone substantial gentrification and have gone ahead in leaps and bounds.

So I guess once someone works out how to make those old homes sexy this suburb will continue to under perform despite its location.

So I guess once someone works out how to make those old homes sexy this suburb will continue to under perform despite its location.
Well said. I think these home don't lend themselves to easy renovations, or renovations that can significantly improve their look.

Talking about Chermside, have a look at the review in the latest API. I grew up in Chermside, surrounding suburbs such as Stafford, Kedron, Wavell heights in my view will always be good due to proximity to the city, and close to Chermside. Chermside is another business district and so therefore the reasons for example why so much emphasize has been put in by the council to increase infrastructure services and for Westfield to expand the shopping centre of the last couple of years. I was driving through Chermside the other day to pick up my mother for Mother's day and now the developers are moving in doing renos, and splitters.

The house next to mother just went for ~400k, through LJHooker. The is in Fee St, just off Hamilton Rd. House prices are roughly in the mid - high $300k.

Cheers
Greg

Back