what dishwasher not to buy

My tenants in Adelaide informed me tonight ,my ASKO dishwasher is blowing smoke so they turned it off.

I have never seen the model nor heard of it before.

Sounds like a MOTOR ABOUT TO BLOW UP.
WOULD THE COST BE WORTH IT TO REPLACE or should a repair be a reasonable approach . DONT KNOW THE AGE OF THE DISHWASHER.

What recommendation for a new dishwasher.
Does anyone have access to choice Magazine for October 2007 on the dishwasher article?
This is my initial due diligence starting

It needs to be strong being an IP lpace and probably a good warranty and of course reliable. Fisher and Pykel seem a reliable brand from casual contacts I have had over the years from dishwashers. However I am open to suggestions
Any accurate prices sinceI am not in Australia now.
Thanks

Last edited:
We got a dodgy one with a new kitchen last year - had no end of problems and it was replaced several times.

We asked the repairfella for his advice on what model to buy next.

Asko was his answer. He was adamant that they were the best.

We have just replaced an ancient Miele that came with the house when we bought it. My first ever dishwasher after 25 years of marriage! And I replaced it with another Miele. The repair people wouldnt even consider repairing the old one as it had, like yours, blown up!

Have you ever stayed in a furnished holiday apartment with the dishwashers that make the loudest noises? They are the ones not to buy! Cheap and nasty. My new Miele is so quiet I sometimes think I havent even turned it on! Love it! I paid $1100 which included a years supply of powder, rinse aid and salt. And the first 30 minutes of installation time too. (It took an extra 10 minutes!) as well as taking the old one away. Mr Dishwasher - but maybe he is just in SA?

I swear by Bosch. I'm on my 3rd one...keep leaving them in the old property and buying a new one for the next property. I believe my first one is still working after 15 years...with not one service call.

I am on my third Asko and would buy another one. Our kitchen is open plan near the tv watching area and it is very quiet.

For my own place, I would always stick with the european brands. Rentals we tend to put in a mid-price brand, but don't go cheap because it is false economy.

Wylie

Hi gghumpshots,

That's funny, since from memory the Asko rate best in Choice magazine and the Fisher and Paykel rate very poorly. I bought a F&P dishdrawer dishwasher and love it for the convenience of two drawers allowing separate running. So, I run one, then load the other whilst using the dishes straight out of the clean drawer. Less unpacking required. ;)

But I know it rated poorly from a drying perspective and also a reliability/maintenance perspective.

But do your own DD and read the choice article for yourself. As a subsriber I get access to them all online, and its a great service if you're looking at buying consumer durables.

Cheers,
Michael.

Surprised also. Asko is the best dishwasher I have ever had. And I've had Bosch, AEG and Miele....

Some of the 'big names' are now outsourced and not necessarily built in Europe now

Stay away from Smeg.

The one I have broken down three times in 5 years. Had to be replaced in the end when the pump/motor seized. Ouch :mad:

Hi gghumpshots,

That's funny, since from memory the Asko rate best in Choice magazine and the Fisher and Paykel rate very poorly. I bought a F&P dishdrawer dishwasher and love it for the convenience of two drawers allowing separate running. So, I run one, then load the other whilst using the dishes straight out of the clean drawer. Less unpacking required. ;)

But I know it rated poorly from a drying perspective and also a reliability/maintenance perspective.

But do your own DD and read the choice article for yourself. As a subsriber I get access to them all online, and its a great service if you're looking at buying consumer durables.

Cheers,
Michael.

Hi mW,
I used to subscribe to choice and found it well worth while,until leaving Australia but just for a 1 off item i was hoping to get some info from members
Asko from members input seem to be the go, so thats a good starting point.

Thumbs up for Asko too. They used to be Asea in the old days (I think) and have been good performers for me.

I once let a special at Kmart suck me into getting a Mistral.

These are totally useless as dishwashers but if you want any scraps baked onto your spoons and dishes that will require dynamite to remove then they are very good :D

Hi mW,
I used to subscribe to choice and found it well worth while,until leaving Australia but just for a 1 off item i was hoping to get some info from members
Asko from members input seem to be the go, so thats a good starting point.
Hi ggumpshots,

I don't want to post the report from them as its a fee for service report and that would be copyright infringement, but it does show Westinghouse as numbers 1 and 2 then AEG 3 through 11. So, those two brands do dominate their current list. 12 and 13 are Westinghouse again then Asko come in at 14 and 15.

Having said that, the difference in score between number 1 and number 15 is only 2% from 81% in total to 79% in total! :D So, those three brands are much of a muchness. The Westinghouse for under $1K seems the definate best buy given its half the price of other models rating the same result. The SB916WK looks like a great model.

Cheers,
Michael.

PS Check your PM for some more private thoughts on this from me.

I've got asko at home, its no problem. you can also google how to fix it online if it breaks.
The IP has a Omega, which is the same as Smeg. Seems to be working fine so far.
The prior one was a Dishlex. Its currently sitting in the shed needing a new timer, but that was the first problem it had in about 15 yrs.

Reminds me of an old joke... what do you do when your dishwasher breaks?
better not say the punch line.

I'm all for paper plates & cups ~~looks over shoulder for envirometalists~~:)

We have a Vulcan Dishlex that get's very little use but it's done quite a few years. Still work perfectly. I actually see the "little use" as a good thing going for it. I've heard many stories that dishwashers that haven't been used for sometime getting cracked hoses and water leaks. Obviouslyly this tough bugger is made of the "right stuff".

Sorry that I can't have more imput but at least I tried whilst being bored to death waiting for the missus to get home.

OMG I here that ....Ummmm what's it called? Ahhhh The Mint on TV. Must be time for bed.

I'm all for paper plates & cups ~~looks over shoulder for envirometalists~~:)

We have a Vulcan Dishlex that get's very little use but it's done quite a few years. Still work perfectly. I actually see the "little use" as a good thing going for it. I've heard many stories that dishwashers that haven't been used for sometime getting cracked hoses and water leaks. Obviouslyly this tough bugger is made of the "right stuff".

Sorry that I can't have more imput but at least I tried whilst being bored to death waiting for the missus to get home.

OMG I here that ....Ummmm what's it called? Ahhhh The Mint on TV. Must be time for bed.

I believe there is a rubber seal which can dry out if a machine isn't used for some time. As it shrinks it allows water to leak when used again.

As for my smoke blowing machine it was inspected by Mr Dishwasher who found no problem!!!!!!!!
Thanks for evryones contribution

i have had no trouble with my kleenmaid and also

have had no trouble with my kleenmaid and also

i have found choice not to be accurate. its more accurate to ask a repairman or friends thoughw ith friend sof some makes half will ahve good expereinces and half wont.
kleenmaid is always trouble free but it sounds like asko may be quieter which is great.

cutegal

Back