What do you think of Trinity, Alkimos WA?

Ausprop It is getting ridiculous. We can agree to diagree. It's everyones differences and thoughts that make this forum what it is.

Guys this is a hilarious post.......very entertaining indeed.

But on a more serious side it has given me some impetus to look at the Perth market.

On the issue of inner city vs outer suburbs....this is an old chestnut. I agree with both Terry Rydher and Margaret Lomas....select outer and regional suburbs do perform perform better most Bluechip suburbs. Most people only look at the dollars made not the holding cost and % growth. If have found that I have made the most money well selected outer suburbs, particularly if infrastructure is being put in.

Also, there is more risk in higher priced properties as eventually these suburbs have a dimishing rate of return as less people are able to afford which also reduces the market for this and the holding costs are high due to poor returns.

I have a laugh when I read the Property section in Newspapers where they report what properties sold and were bought for. An example was a house on the Northern Beaches of Sydney which was bought for 880k in 2004 and sold for 1.05m in 2011. On looking at it looks like a $170k profit....but this masks the 31k buying costs and about $20k selling costs....and that is not counting in any interest paid or renovations. So if I only used thses costs the profit is only $120k which equates to a 13.6% return over 7 years. Very poor return as it is a return of 1.7%!!!:mad:

On the flip side I will use a property which is in outer Melbourne which I bought for $170k in 2006....it is now valued conservatively $320k which is about 150k gains. Assuming but costs of 10k and say 10k selling costs. I have made 130k ...almost the same as the above property...but the return over 5 years is 88%....or about a 12.3% return per year. I have only spent about 7k on renos for this property and is now positively geared.

BTW is there an airfield or airport near by trinity?

Yep, Geraldton ;)

We took a trip out to Trinity Alkimos the other weekend, turns out we had to travel further down to Alkimos to look at the display homes we wanted to view

Trinity Alkimos, is apparenlty not Alkimos :confused:

Long Drive down a lonely road once you're past Clarkson, Ridgewood, Butler etc

Yep, Geraldton ;)

We took a trip out to Trinity Alkimos the other weekend, turns out we had to travel further down to Alkimos to look at the display homes we wanted to view

Trinity Alkimos, is apparenlty not Alkimos :confused:

Long Drive down a lonely road once you're past Clarkson, Ridgewood, Butler etc

You probably travelled to Shorehaven, Alkimos to see the dispay home. Trinity is also in Alkimos. Trinity is at the most southern end of Alkimos while Shorehaven is at the most northern end. It is going to be a large suburb.

yeah not wrong!

i heard the marina is the last on the list of things to be done. imo that's just silly, it should be the first thing done to draw the crowds in, like mindarie.

You probably travelled to Shorehaven, Alkimos to see the dispay home. Trinity is also in Alkimos. Trinity is at the most southern end of Alkimos while Shorehaven is at the most northern end. It is going to be a large suburb.

The DSP says that about 57000 people will live there, that's about 20000 residences! A big mo-fo. :eek:

I have final approval from a finance perspective for Butler.

Couple of things I was able to negotiate:

1. Got a val of $375k for a 4x2x2 in Butler near the new shops and rail station. Mind you this is a bank val and is probably at least 10 under market. So real value is probably around 405-420k.
2. SunCorp policy would only provide val based on the construction and land. In my case it is about 345k
3. I made a deal with SunCorp to hold 35k in a term deposit and pay only a 10-12% deposit to avoid LMI.
4. Once the house is complete it should val to $375 as it was previously valued at 375k only 6 months ago.

So to the people who are saying Butler is falling...it comes to down to how much you pay. You get very little house for under 345k. In most instances these houses have common walls on both ends and are in blocks of 180-240 sqm. My block is about 380qm.The smaller houses have building areas of less than 150sqm whereas mine is 200sqm.

The demand for 4x2x2 are greatest and you are easily getting 420pw for well spec'd homes. Mine has stone benchtops, 900mm ovens, A/C, landscaping with low maintenance gardens, WIR, wardrobes, study to the front, etc. These are the things in demand.

I have final approval from a finance perspective for Butler.

Couple of things I was able to negotiate:

1. Got a val of $375k for a 4x2x2 in Butler near the new shops and rail station. Mind you this is a bank val and is probably at least 10 under market. So real value is probably around 405-420k.
2. SunCorp policy would only provide val based on the construction and land. In my case it is about 345k
3. I made a deal with SunCorp to hold 35k in a term deposit and pay only a 10-12% deposit to avoid LMI.
4. Once the house is complete it should val to $375 as it was previously valued at 375k only 6 months ago.

So to the people who are saying Butler is falling...it comes to down to how much you pay. You get very little house for under 345k. In most instances these houses have common walls on both ends and are in blocks of 180-240 sqm. My block is about 380qm.The smaller houses have building areas of less than 150sqm whereas mine is 200sqm.

The demand for 4x2x2 are greatest and you are easily getting 420pw for well spec'd homes. Mine has stone benchtops, 900mm ovens, A/C, landscaping with low maintenance gardens, WIR, wardrobes, study to the front, etc. These are the things in demand.

So is that $35K term deposit the 10-12% deposit of additional to the deposit?

yeah not wrong!

i heard the marina is the last on the list of things to be done. imo that's just silly, it should be the first thing done to draw the crowds in, like mindarie.

That Marina was pretty quiet in the early days, I'm sure some of the business there struggled? It was a pain when the road up to Clarkson was single lane and it's interesting to see the changes occur, I only visit up that way every so often but the amount of housing infill occuring is amazing

Problem with all these areas with cheap houses is they attract investors and therefore cheap tenants. I know they are not all bad but there is enough of them to turn these areas into upmarket ghettos. Just look at Clarkson where the crime rate is out of control, it started out nice enough. Infrastructure in Perth just can't keep up with these rapidly expanding areas, not enough police, roads or public transport. Just because there is a train station doesn't mean you can use it if there is no where to park your car. Many people live in these areas because its all they can afford, not because it is at all appealing to live there and when you are relying on CG for your investment to make money that is not ideal.

Problem with all these areas with cheap houses is they attract investors and therefore cheap tenants. I know they are not all bad but there is enough of them to turn these areas into upmarket ghettos. Just look at Clarkson where the crime rate is out of control, it started out nice enough. Infrastructure in Perth just can't keep up with these rapidly expanding areas, not enough police, roads or public transport. Just because there is a train station doesn't mean you can use it if there is no where to park your car. Many people live in these areas because its all they can afford, not because it is at all appealing to live there and when you are relying on CG for your investment to make money that is not ideal.

There will be 900 parks at Butler Train station. Rents are relatively high and these investments are typically cashflow neutral after depreciation and tax is taken in to account, so you are not just relying on capital gains.Also i think you are wrong re the demographics buying in Butler. There are a lot of downsizers and first home buyers buying in to the area, because the type of housing that is being offered.

Not to mention the Britons and South Africans who like this area.

Go across Marmion Avenue to the beachside and you will not get a house under 550k.

You are correct about high rents ....even basic 2 bedder which is a couple of years old rents for $350pw.

There will be 900 parks at Butler Train station. Rents are relatively high and these investments are typically cashflow neutral after depreciation and tax is taken in to account, so you are not just relying on capital gains.Also i think you are wrong re the demographics buying in Butler. There are a lot of downsizers and first home buyers buying in to the area, because the type of housing that is being offered.

Not to mention the Britons and South Africans who like this area.

Go across Marmion Avenue to the beachside and you will not get a house under 550k.

You are correct about high rents ....even basic 2 bedder which is a couple of years old rents for $350pw.

Lot's of Kiwi's as well. Being a kiwi myself living in the area (Jindalee) we often joke that if we find any Aussies from Perth in the area we assume they must be lost venturing this far north!!!. The infrastructure going in to the place is huge. As I have mentioned in previous posts I live in the area for lifestyle reasons and that applies to most of the immigrants in the area. Compared to the countries most of the immigrants come from you could not dream of living close to the ocean 40km from the city (38 minutes by train) for the price it costs to buy Jindalee, Butler and surrounds. That's why I think there's room for good capital growth. Interestingly there is even quite a few Eastern States people living in the area, and loving it. Perhaps they don't have the pre conceived ideas a lot of Perth people seem to have about the outer northern suburbs.

If I had listened to the local yokels...I would not have bought in Butler.

I instead went and had a look for myself. From where I sit...rents of $380-460pw for 3-4brms is not going to attract the lower segment of the market.

The people are likely to be more middle class. Due to the affordability gap....this will drive a different demographic.

I predominately picked Butler as I see more immigrants and people from the Eastern states. There are also quite a few who work in the mining industry who like the peace in quiet when they are not working in the mines.

What would I know....I am only a silly investor!:p

Lot's of Kiwi's as well. Being a kiwi myself living in the area (Jindalee) we often joke that if we find any Aussies from Perth in the area we assume they must be lost venturing this far north!!!. The infrastructure going in to the place is huge. As I have mentioned in previous posts I live in the area for lifestyle reasons and that applies to most of the immigrants in the area. Compared to the countries most of the immigrants come from you could not dream of living close to the ocean 40km from the city (38 minutes by train) for the price it costs to buy Jindalee, Butler and surrounds. That's why I think there's room for good capital growth. Interestingly there is even quite a few Eastern States people living in the area, and loving it. Perhaps they don't have the pre conceived ideas a lot of Perth people seem to have about the outer northern suburbs.

Back